My Observations Camp Day 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My Observations Camp Day 3

cuban_refugee

Football On My Mind 24 Hrs Per Day
Club Member
Reaction score
First of all, it was HOT! If you plan on going I suggest you bring 2 water bottles, sunscreen, and a sweat towel. There was a good crowd...about 1100-1200 people I would say.

Here is some of my key observations:

O-Line: I think we have a lot of talent. We are in better position than last year. I was a bit worried about J. Martin but the kid is looking pretty good. During one drill him and Randy Stark scuffled and J. Martin did not back down an ounce! J. Martin has a mean streak in him...I liked it!

D-Line/D-Ends: Cameron Wake is huge! Took his shirt off after practice and he is ripped! It seems like him and Randy Stark are pretty good friends. Didn't really see much out of Soliai today. I really wanted to see what O. Vernon has but the D-Line did a lot of work at the far end. And, during 11-11 drills O. Vernon didn't really make any splash plays.

Linebackers: Got to see a lot of their one-on-one stuff up close to the fence. Kaddu didn't look impressive...I would say he still needs a lot of work. The coaches got on him a couple of time for staying too high during some of the drills. I also noticed that he had a tough time separating once someone engaged him. Trusnik looked really good today.....during one-one drills and 11-11...he had an interception (tipped pass that the receiver should have caught).

Safeties: Clemons sat out the whole practice. He had a compression sleeve on his right leg...not sure if it's a hammy or calf issue. For someone who can't stay healthy he was sure smiling and joking on the sidelines. Jimmy Wilson got a lot of work with the 1st team. Jones is looking good.

QBs: Tannehill throws a nice ball. He was on target most of the day....had a couple of INTs but they were catchable balls that the receivers should have had. Most of Tannehills passes were short and intermediate passes. He looks good on roll outs. Moore and Garrad looked good, then just ok, then good again. I would almost call it even with those two.

Wide Receivers: I really kept my eyes on Pruitt, Moore, and Wallace.......Pruitt and Wallace have really good size. On a nice deep ball, Pruitt drops the pass....it seemed like the whole crowd saw it and everyone was upset. Wallace is really good on special teams. Moore didn't do much today except a nice 30-yd catch but he fell out of bounds.

Hartline was in the back ground just tossing a huge medicine ball against the wall. He worked with the medicine ball for about 15-20 minutes. No one was around him.
Bess......well...was Bess......looked good catching the ball in the middle of the field in traffic.

But, out of all the receivers, Fuller appeared to make the most plays today. He's a lot bigger and faster than I expected (he looks slow on tv). I didn't really pay attention to Cunningham and Matthew too much....if anything, I noticed that Cunningham was on the sideline during a lot of the 11-11 drills.

Chad Johnson really didn't do much today either. He runs nice routes but the ball didn't come his way often during the 11-11 drills (I only saw one pass toward him and it was off the mark).

RBs: Miller looked AWESOME! First day in full pads and first day in a long time that he's been allowed to take a hit. He has a knack for finding lanes. Looked really good catching the ball. Daniel Thomas had an up and down practice. He made a nice deep catch (I believe it was during 7-7)

TEs: I watched this group a bunch, too. Les Brown had a couple of acrobatic catches and looked pretty good separating from the LBs during drills. Mastrud made the best catch by a TE today. I really wasn't too impressed with Egnew today. He had trouble separating from most of the LBs during passing drills.....the only LB that he really got away from was Kaddu (see earlier write up on Linebackers). Fasano was also up and down today. Saw him drop a pass a a well-thrown ball.

The Dolphins select a few players to come over for autographs after the practice.....I was disappointed because I thought most of the guys would come over. In total, there were about 11-14 guys doing autographs. I was lucky enough to get Dansby, Sean Smith, Ryan Baker, Tyrone Culver, Dan Carpenter, Coach Philbin, Kheeston Randall, and Olivier Vernon. I figured Tannehill would come over considering it was his first day....but nope.

Good Writeup! Thanks. I sure hope the Oline is fixed. Last year on the right side was driving me nuts.

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention......early in the practice I saw Clyde Gates make an awkward move and it seemed like his knee was bothering him for much of practice. He never really let anyone know but I kept watching him and you could tell he wasn't right. I would say his chances of staying on this team are slipping.....especially with Pruitt, Wallace, and Fuller looking as good as they do.

Cuban, first thanks for the writeup question:

On some of these deep catches should we be worried about the secondary?

Thanks for the info. How did Clay look?

Clay looked really, really good! He made a nice move to shake the defender and get open during 11-11 drills. It seems like he catches everything in sight. I wish I paid more attention to his blocking ability, however.

We all consider Clay, Egnew, and Fasano as locks.....but I also wouldn't count out Mastrud. Mastrud's blocking was good today and he makes some nice catches (his hands looked really soft today).

Cuban- nice write up. I appreciate the attention to detail. I'm rooting for Wallace, Pruitt and Fuller.

Cuban, first thanks for the writeup question:

On some of these deep catches should we be worried about the secondary?

It did seem like the WRs were getting open deep. Vontae and Smith looked really good today. They each almost had interceptions. Some of the deep throws were on our scrub defenders. There is one CB that looked good and I'm surprised no one mentions him.......Marcus Brown. Also, didn't notice Carroll make any great plays today.

It did seem like the WRs were getting open deep. Vontae and Smith looked really good today. They each almost had interceptions. Some of the deep throws were on our scrub defenders. There is one CB that looked good and I'm surprised no one mentions him.......Marcus Brown. Also, didn't notice Carroll make any great plays today.

How did chad look? Does speration look like it might be a problem for him?

first of all thanks for the info, do you happen to know L,miller's number?

A person that I hold in very high esteem had this to tell me about camp -

1. Tannehill surprised him
2. Lamar Miller looks like he has the legitimate instincts necessary to be a thousand yard rusher in this league
3. Vernon Oliver is an impressive specimen. His quote to me was "Calias Campbell"

Back
Top Bottom