(My Personal Rant) Leach to the Canes! Leach to the Canes! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

(My Personal Rant) Leach to the Canes! Leach to the Canes!

TexasRaider

Apostle of the Aqua & Orange
Reaction score
OK, all, bear with me. I know several folks have been urging the U to hold on to Shannon for 'one more year' - I disagree.

We did that with Coker for at least 2 years too long and it nearly killed the program, remember? UM kept hanging on to him, hoping he'd get it togther and the result was that recruiting got worse and worst every year. Yeah, Randy can relate to these kids better than some other coaches, but don't fool yourself. Those kids wanna win first, and they AIN'T going to go to a program they see on the decline or stagnating, no matter how much they or their momma like the head coach. THEY WANNA WIN. And it was obvious that wasn't going to happen with Coker.

What do you think all the potential recuits thought watching that game last night? Watching Shannon get jobbed at every turn, not knowing what to do? We've already have some great recruits switch their pledge to other schools...I bet we lose more after last night.

Look, I like RS as a guy, but last night's debacle against Wisconsin show he simply cannot prepare a team for a big game, cannot get players motivated or to play disciplined football, cannot prepare a game plan, and cannot make good game day decisons. It's like he expects the sheer athleticism of his players to carry the day.

I hate seeing inferior teams whip our tails because they have superior coaching. So, here's a possible soultion.

Release Shannon from his coaching postion, promote him upstairs to the AD office and put him in charge of recruiting.

THEN GO HIRE MIKE LEACH AS HEAD COACH!!

I'm from the Texas Panhandle, Amarillo exactly. I lived there for 30+ years, and know that place well. The ONLY reason Tech fired him was they got scared of a lawsuit.

The word I got was Adam James was a slacker prima donna who wanted to start and play without paying the price, and his dad bugged the heck outta the coaching staff, doing the little league dad thing "Play my son! Play my son!"

My read is, this was a vendetta from Craig James to get back at Leach for not making his son the star. If he really cared about his son playing at Tech, the LAST thing he'd do is try to trashcan the best coach they've ever had. Texas Tech was cowardly in letting James & Co. spook them into firing Leach - they'll be sorrry for that when they get shredded by the rest of the Big XII for the next 10 years...

Before Mike Leach came along, Tech was never truly competitive with the likes of UT or A&M. But under his madman schemes, they became truly relevant AND competitive - with much smaller players! Imagine what he could do with south Florida kids!!.

WITH MIAMI KIDS!!

This is a guy who could, in one year, take the Hurricanes to the highest heights!! Just imagine what last night's game would have been like, with our incredible talent, and Leach's wizardly offensive scheme!

It makes my heart pound.

WAKE UP SHALALA, YOU FAT, PIG NOSED COMMIE BUFFOON!!
Earn that 6 figure salary for once in your worthless career and HIRE MIKE LEACH!! NOW!!

No way. Why would Shannon do this? He'd leave and recruiting goes down again. Basically you'd have to trade Shannon for Leach at this point. There is NO WAY that Leach is going to get kids in South Florida to go to Miami. He might get a few here and there but not like Shannon does. Recruiting is the name of the game and the prime piece of land is South Florida.

And how did Howard Schnellenburger recruit Florida kids? And Dennis Erickson? And Jimmy Johnson? And Butch Davis?

We've got to get over this notion that only Randy Shannon can recruit Miami kids because he shares a common history with them. I think he is a great recruiter too, but that doesn't translate to wins on the field.

Randy is just another Mack Brown, but without the advantages taht being at a huge school brings.

Mack Brown is also known as a great recuiriter, too. 'Mr. February' was his nickname forever because he couldn't win the big one. And he still can't, others have to do it for him. Everyone west of the Mississippi knows it was his assistants and Vince Young who won that National Championship in '05, not Mack.

And he can recruit well because UT has facilities that put most NFL teams to shame. That school has more money than most western developed nations. It's not hard to get great kids to come. And Texas also has the benefit of getting the absolute worst, softy schedules in the nation, because after Oklahoma, there's NOTHING in the Big XII to be afraid of. Mack and Texas even have the funds to pay the damned defensive coordinator nearly $1,000,000!

Randy doesn't have those advantages! He doesn't have those kinds of facilities. Randy doesn't have mulitimillionaire oil, cattle and real estate magnates writing $30 million dollar checks to the university. Randy doesn't have press coverage like UT. Randy doesn't have hundreds and hundreds of high schools in his state pumping out more talent and 5 star players than any five universities' rosters could hold. Randy doesn't have a squishy, soft 'little sisters of the poor' schedule.

What Randy has is a small private school straining to compete with two huge state funded Florida universities, UF and FSU. He has small faclities. He has very limited funds to go hire the best of the best in assistant coaches.

All Randy can truly offer a future star is playing time (all schools will do that), an education if they want it (all schools do that), tradition (many schools have that) and WINNING. Did you see that last night? This year? The past 3 years?

We can't offer 'winning' right now because Randy hasn't figured out how to do it. And I don't believe he ever will, because he just doesn't have it upstairs. Just as everyone can't be first team starters, not everyone is gifted to be a great head coach. And I don't believe Randy is. He peaked at defensive coordinator.

Look, I want to be wrong, I want RS to win, I'd love nothing more than to see him hoist the NC trophy. But I just don't believe it is going to happen on his watch. And all these kids in high shcool that are future stars in waiting aren't stupid. Watching Miami meltdown against teams they ought to be destroying is very revealing. Why do you think we've already had some switch commitiments?

They know medicrity when they see it. And they're going to go elsewhere to win and get drafted into the NFL.

All I'm saying is a guy like Leach doesn't come along very often. He took a small time, non competitive program and figured out how to create a nuclear explosive offense with a bunch of castoffs and play with the big time schools. And beat them. Remember, it was Leach who found Wes Welker and Michael Crabtree - his eye for talent is amazing and he knows how to use it.

Imagine what he could do with truly top tier talent right there in South Florida.

I like Randy Shannon too, but as Jimmy Johnson said, it is the business of a football to win, not create a mutual admiration buddy club.

It is past time we started winning and an innovator like Leach can do that.
And do it FAST!

BTW - my user name, TEXASRAIDER comes from a WWII B-17 housed in a flight museum on the gulf coast of Texas. I didn't graduate Tech, never attended and in fact never even liked the damned program. Lubbock is the ugliest city on earth and I don't even live in the Panhandle anymore.

Just saying that so you know I'm not some Lubbock homer trying to push his old coach. I love explosive offense and aggressive play, which I why I started watching UM and the Fins back in the 80's to begin with.

We may look at Randy Shannon and say that there are things that we, as fans, would do differently. But the fact is, this is not *his program* yet. He pisses me off a lot too. But the fact is, the guy has proven over time that he has succeeded as a player and as a coach. He has produced one of the nastiest defenses in school and college football history. Once this program has nothing but Randy Shannon's players, and we're still struggling, then it would be time for him to go. Our best players would be redshirt freshmen at other schools. Keep that in mind when you watch this team play. This is not the year to judge Randy. Next year is a different story.

Mike Leach was fired because he was a weird idiot.
Miami is to big of a program for that clown.
I don't care if Adams James was the worst kid on earth,you don't as
a coach play doctor and put someone with a concusssion in a shed.
Think about that for a minute.

BTW - my user name, TEXASRAIDER comes from a WWII B-17 housed in a flight museum on the gulf coast of Texas. I didn't graduate Tech, never attended and in fact never even liked the damned program. Lubbock is the ugliest city on earth and I don't even live in the Panhandle anymore.

Just saying that so you know I'm not some Lubbock homer trying to push his old coach. I love explosive offense and aggressive play, which I why I started watching UM and the Fins back in the 80's to begin with.

His offense only works against Big12 teams.
Other schools with real defenses kill that offense.

His offense only works against Big12 teams.
Other schools with real defenses kill that offense.

His offense works because it is geared towards BIG XII schools, but it works is spite of the fact his players are smaller and not as competitive (supposedly) - remember, most of his players were rejected by all the other schools, he just invented an offense that worked DESPITE his disadvantages.

We've never seen what he could do with top shelf atheletes.

Rememeber, we've melted down numerous times against lesser teams...he's beaten OU & UT with that offense.

After Larry Coker was sent packing, Mike Leach was actually interviewed for the Miami position. He had everything he needed for the job. We knew he could bring an exciting offense to Miami and do great things we the athletes we have in the South Florida area.

But he was quirky, and different. He didn't sit right with Shalala. He was weird. He didn't interview well at all and he relied on his resume alone to land him the job. He's not a professional guy. When you're Miami and you have that national status, you have to be represented as such. Mike Leach, who blames losses on the "fat girlfriends" of the players and locks guys in tool sheds, is not that man.

However, Randy Shannon is not that man either and that's a drum I have been beating for a while now. And when I sit down soon to write Mr. Hocutt an email letting him know that I will not be a contributing booster this upcoming season because of Randy Shannon specifically, maybe then others will follow and they'll begin getting the picture when we all begin to speak with our wallets. I'm not donating anything. I'm not renewing my season tickets. I won't be upgrading suites. I won't donate to the Hurricane Club. I won't attend any road games this season. And I won't have anything to do with this team. It's time to hold these people accountable before this once proud program drowns in mediocrity for good.

And Mike Leach has a really weird obsession with Pirates.

Indeed. Maybe he can go coach Tampa Bay and the Glazer's will pay him in buried treasure. He's not coming to the 305.

Wow...just think about goofy *** Mike Leach in Dade County for a moment...

Well, my post about Leach is at it's heart just a strong desire to see the Canes finally back on top. It seems such a waste that during a time when the rest of the ACC is down, we should have been cruising, taking it by storm.

Instead we keep piddiling around with weak little sisters like Shannon. What a waste....

Once Skip Holtz moves on to a bigger school, ECU would be a perfect fit...

Back
Top Bottom