My Sincerest Appreciation And Gratitude For Don Shula | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My Sincerest Appreciation And Gratitude For Don Shula

Pachyderm_Wave

Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ
Reaction score
I wanted to share this because I understand how much Don Shula is revered as a football coach, but there’s a lot more to him than that.

My nephew was able to meet Don and speak with him for a few minutes at his best friend’s wedding back in March – along with Mary Anne and the rest of the Shula family. My nephew was the best man in his best friend’s wedding, where he was getting married to one of Don and Mary Anne’s granddaughters.

My nephew is 26 years old and currently receiving his Master’s Degree from the University of Alabama. Obviously he’s a big Bama guy like his uncle. Well, my nephew’s best friend and his wife (Don and Mary Anne’s granddaughter) typically go down to spend time with the Shula family for Christmas/New Year’s Eve, and since Alabama was playing Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl around the same time, my nephew and his wife were invited to come down with them to spend time with the Shula family and attend the Orange Bowl.

My nephew and his wife were invited to the Shula’s home to eat together and spend time with Don and the family. They put them up in a hotel down the street from Don’s home and were treated like royalty – better yet, they were treated like family.

My nephew doesn’t follow the NFL much outside of what his fantasy football team is doing, but he did say that he did get to talk about the Dolphins a little with Don.

I cannot express enough my gratitude and appreciation to Don, Mary Anne, and the entire Shula family for how well they treated my family. They’re all such wonderful people who are very family oriented and treat others the way they would want to be treated. For that, I am truly grateful.

Last edited:
Trying to get some of these pictures posted he sent me as soon as I can get it figured out.

Trying to get some of these pictures posted he sent me as soon as I can get it figured out.

If he sent them to you via text, press on the pictures to save them to your phone. Once they're in your phone, click the upload a file option on the bottom and it should be easy from there.

Ask him about the time he went out drinking with some fellah from West Virginia.

EPIC night!

Don was pushed out of town by lots of folks in Miami believing that the team needed a new direction to get back in the winning column. Boy did they get that wrong.

Fantastic story and thank you for sharing. There is a reason Don Shula has been my idol since I was a young boy. Simply the greatest coach and person.

Epic!

Got the rare privilege to meet Mister Don Shula many years ago and

funny story -- he was asked about "Miami Vice" (the TV show) and

replied he supported the police!

Wha???

The dude was so focused and obvious to anything else...

He's on my personal totem as a personification of greatness!

The other point is -- him and Lombardi seemed to touch the personal lives

of players in a way NO OTHERS have come close to.

I think it's a sign of the times such greats are not actively among us.

Thanks for posting!

BNF

Back
Top Bottom