My Take on the scrimage(Offesne) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My Take on the scrimage(Offesne)

Originally posted by finfan54

Please dont rely on this TE blocking thang to defend smith dejesus, it was a pass play. Weaver went out for a pass! Smith got burned the play before but lucas got the ball off. smith knew what was coming! it was a pass play. kearse is his responsablility!

I think that is a bone head statement. If the TEs only role was to run pass routes then wouldn't he be called a WR? I am not saying that Jed had to try to take out Kearse, but he needed to chip him to give Smith a shot. I have been an offensive C for 2 seasons now, and if my TE did that he wouild sit for the rest of the game.

Weaver is not supposed to chip on Kearse unless the play calls for him to. He was probably a pretty immediate target on that play and he needed to get out into the flat away from coverage ASAP in all likelihood.

If we were entering the season with Brent Smith at LT, you can damn well bet though that Norv will have Weaver chip on the DE in that play.

Weaver went in motion to the right on the sack, why would you expect him to chip the DE???? It was Smith playing at game speed for the 1st time in 18 months. He got burned on a play, on opthers he let the player take himself out of the play. The style and speed of play was dictated to him on Saturday, in the season this offense should be dictating things to the defense.

DNY I think you might need to go back and watch again. I was watching the play, Weaver was lined up left right next to Brent Smith and took off to the left flat without chipping on Kearse. But like I said the play might not have called for that

You're absolutely right CK, my bad, they lined up somebody else outside and behind Weaver who went in motion. After watching it again though Jeez I'm not really sure that would have even been a sack Kearse ran right by Lucas. It's way too early to decide things, they've had 5 days of practice.

He was within arms reach with that huge wingspan, all he'd have had to do was grab hold. Would have been a sack or intentional grounding in all likelihood...or worst an interception.

I think we could see Dixon at LT as early as today simply cuz the coaches really want to get Jamie Nails into that lineup. Watching him on film in the scrimmage again, I realize how impressive he looked. That one Ricky Williams run straight up behind LG for 6 yards or so was basically all Nails who just mauled every single person in front of him. And he doesn't seem to be doing bad at pass protection either...

The question is if Smith is still hindered tdue to injury how much is Dixon hindered since he is still being held out at times.

Precisely and its all those questions that should lead us to throw Dixon over there to see who pans out. You don't want to start finding out that the problem with Brent Smith is not getting better, only to not have the option of playing Dixon at that position because he hasn't had time to get use to it.

I'd love to hear DW's take on it, I don't see Smith's performance as being that bad. Certianly I doubt Dixon would have done much differently.

ck, I think you're wrong about this one. There hasn't been any more talk about moving Dixon since before camp started and the only bad reports about Smith are coming from camp reports written by people who have no idea what a player may have been thinking about or working on during a particular play. I mean after all, it is PRACTICE, maybe Smith was concentrating on his footwork, or coming off the ball quickly, or something......heck, maybe he is a little rusty. The point is, it's not even the first game of preseason, I think it's a little too early to go into panic mode. I mean really, how hard will it be for Dixon to move over one spot.How much time would he actually need to learn the position? He's played it before, albeit CFL, but at least he knows the techniques. I don't think we'll be seeing Dixon move unless Smith and Spriggs both are still struggling after second game of preseason

Originally posted by ckparrothead
DNY I think you might need to go back and watch again. I was watching the play, Weaver was lined up left right next to Brent Smith and took off to the left flat without chipping on Kearse. But like I said the play might not have called for that

You are right CK the play probably didn't call for it, but what play calls for a 6'6'' 270lbs man rushing your passer? Not only the fact that you had a superstar unaccounted for, but if any such problem arise the players have to make adjustments. Being that he was closest Weaver should have made the adjustment, if the play depended on him getting out than the RB has to know to help or the QB has to audible to take advantage of the situation(ie bootleg to Kearse's side after he got his penatration.) Bottom line the simple geometry of the play made it impossible for Smith to sucsede in stopping the "Freak" get to Lucas, so he can not be the only one accountable for that play.

Originally posted by Dajesus
Another note was the the first play for our offense the pass that Konrad dropped. It was a very nice package, and ace set(one back if you dont know) with the 2 wrs split very close to the line, and weaver and Konrad split as h-backs. Konrad was lined up close to CC who took both defenders with him as Konrad got wide open. I can't stress enough how awesome it was to see how wide open Turner's system allows the TEs and RBs to get.

Hopefully Turner continues to change our offensive sets because CC as a decoy will only work a few times before people see it on film. I do like the different looks he gives on offense though. You can run the same play from 5 different formations and he wants to get 5 plays down pat.

Originally posted by Sherif

Hopefully Turner continues to change our offensive sets because CC as a decoy will only work a few times before people see it on film. I do like the different looks he gives on offense though. You can run the same play from 5 different formations and he wants to get 5 plays down pat.

I think that is the point Sherif. The other team will start to move players up knowing that CC has been a decoy, then bang all of a sudden CC is in 1-1 coverage.

Back
Top Bottom