My Take on why Wanny was retained... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My Take on why Wanny was retained...

TerryTate

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Im gonna put a new spin on things....

The Dolphins were 9-5 going into their final two games in 2002, and lost their last two, going 9-7 for the year. Finishing 1-3 in December (i believe)

Now, in 2003, with 2 games left, the Dolphins were 8-6, and went 10-6, and still missed the playoffs, the first team in over a decade to do so...many many years us fin fans were sick of "backing into the playoffs" and such... This years dolphins won two in a row, and if they were playoff bound, they wouldve rode huge momentum into the playoffs (as good or as bad as division rivals are, they ARE our divison rivals)....we shouldve made the playoffs in a league that is designed for the occasional 9-7 team to get in, let alone a 10-6 squad.

Wanny did what we wanted him to do this year, technically we didnt falter in december, finishing .500 in that month....losses to NE and Philly and Wins vs. Buffalo and the Jets... thats 2-2 people.... He also was able to get the Dolphins to go 4-2 in the AFC East (sweeping the Jets and Bills)

If we had the tie-breaker against Denver, we wouldve gone into the playoffs with momentum, and who knows where we wouldve gone....

That is probably the take from the Dolphins Management...

An opinion that may be suggested why they did well in the last two games is because they were all but out of it anyways...so the pressure wasnt as tough of a factor...maybe if the media would take some pressure off these guys, maybe they wouldnt falter almost every single year....an idea for those in the sentinel or herald perhaps?

Now that you read this, the decision to keep Wanny isnt so bad a decision after all, especially when there isnt fine quality coaching talent floating around looking for a job (had Parcells been looking this year you know wanny wouldve been dismissed...)

So now Wanny has another year to win the big one, and if he doenst go to the superbowl, hes all but out, thats my take...

One more year of medicoreness..

Im going to stick to my Fins and cheer and all..

But I dont know how much more I can take of "one more year" crap.

I still say they're gonna bring in a GM and let him decide. I mean what's the sense of signing Wanny to an extension so he's not a lame duck coach when everyone knows THAT'S WHAT HE WILL BE ANYWAY!!
Just doesn't make any sense to me.

Good points. As I've said before, I don't love Wanny as HC but I don't think he did the terrible job that many contend he did either. Consider this: If Mare makes just two- that's right TWO!- more FG's this year (one against the Texans and one against the Patsies) we're 12-4 and likely fighting for HFA and the division since there's no telling whether the Patsies would have rebounded and gone on such an incredible streak after a loss. 12-4 is an awesome record and it's really the kicker's fault that we don't have that so I'm not going to disparage Wanny too much. We'll just have to wait and see now...again.

Its not even the fact that Wanny didnt address the OL and WR this offseason that was a major problem. Its his conservative playcalling. And I noticed how unconservative he was in his first season then the next year all of a sudden its like hes going to crap his pants on offense.

Originally posted by ultimateFINFAN
Im gonna put a new spin on things....

The Dolphins were 9-5 going into their final two games in 2002, and lost their last two, going 9-7 for the year. Finishing 1-3 in December (i believe)

Now, in 2003, with 2 games left, the Dolphins were 8-6, and went 10-6, and still missed the playoffs, the first team in over a decade to do so...many many years us fin fans were sick of "backing into the playoffs" and such... This years dolphins won two in a row, and if they were playoff bound, they wouldve rode huge momentum into the playoffs (as good or as bad as division rivals are, they ARE our divison rivals)....we shouldve made the playoffs in a league that is designed for the occasional 9-7 team to get in, let alone a 10-6 squad.

Wanny did what we wanted him to do this year, technically we didnt falter in december, finishing .500 in that month....losses to NE and Philly and Wins vs. Buffalo and the Jets... thats 2-2 people.... He also was able to get the Dolphins to go 4-2 in the AFC East (sweeping the Jets and Bills)

If we had the tie-breaker against Denver, we wouldve gone into the playoffs with momentum, and who knows where we wouldve gone....

That is probably the take from the Dolphins Management...

An opinion that may be suggested why they did well in the last two games is because they were all but out of it anyways...so the pressure wasnt as tough of a factor...maybe if the media would take some pressure off these guys, maybe they wouldnt falter almost every single year....an idea for those in the sentinel or herald perhaps?

Now that you read this, the decision to keep Wanny isnt so bad a decision after all, especially when there isnt fine quality coaching talent floating around looking for a <A TITLE="Click for more information about job" STYLE="text-decoration: none; border-bottom: medium solid green;" HREF="http://search.targetwords.com/u.search?x=5977|1||||job|AA1VDw">job</A> (had Parcells been looking this year you know wanny wouldve been dismissed...)

So now Wanny has another year to win the big one, and if he doenst go to the superbowl, hes all but out, thats my take...

The bottom line is this....the Dolphins record this year against teams with above .500 records - 2-5, 8-1 against teams that finish below .500...

Not the formula for success in the NFL. We can't keep beating up on lousy teams and losing to good ones if we want a championship.

I too am sick of this one more year crap. I mean, didn't we all say this last year after the collapse? Didn't we all screma for Wanny's head? When he was retained, didn't we say, ok he gets one more year but if we fail, he is gone? A line needed to be drawn in tha sand and not glossed over. That is exactly what happened, and I thik it stinks. I will support the fins and hope (once again) that Wanny proves me wrong, I just think it is a bad move is all.

Originally posted by Samphin
I too am sick of this one more year crap. I mean, didn't we all say this last year after the collapse? Didn't we all screma for Wanny's head? When he was retained, didn't we say, ok he gets one more year but if we fail, he is gone? A line needed to be drawn in tha sand and not glossed over. That is exactly what happened, and I thik it stinks. I will support the fins and hope (once again) that Wanny proves me wrong, I just think it is a bad move is all.

I agree. Well said.

I have to somewhat disagree with the "momentum" thing....Wanny is a bad coach and even in our last game you can kind of see his conservitivness....We beat 2 teams that were bad to begin with...and the last team we beat, had to come down to chewing the clock and kicking the FG....had we made it to the playoffs, next week Wanny would be playing "not to lose the game" instead of "playing to win the game".

Wannstedt was retained because Huizenga has no balls. There is no reason to keep a coach who has underachived and missed the playoffs with very talented teams for TWO straight years.

Wannstedt did his job very poorly this year and last year as well. It is unbelievable that this guy is going to be our coach for another year. He has done NOTHING to prove that he should still be here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Won't Herm Edwards be available after next season??

....hmmmmm

Better coaches may be available next year...

Back
Top Bottom