My thoughts on tonite's performance | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My thoughts on tonite's performance

PhinfanBo1

Scout Team
Reaction score
Last week, I said that it was awesome to not only get a much-needed victory, on the road, against a divisional opponent..but that it came on a day when we played well, but not even close to our best football. Tonight, we played the best football we have played this season, and just like the Jets game (obviously) was a much better performance than the Houston debacle, this time out, we performed better than we did last week, pretty significantly.

However, and I mean this in a good way, this is not the best this team is going to play this season! We basically dominated what was considered probably the top team in the AFC after the off-season, and first two weeks of the season, without "peaking," playing our best football. The formula was definetly there; run the football, eat up the clock, play great defense and make as many plays as you need in the passing game. But 12 inches here(on the deep ball to Chambers, and a little bit more awareness (on McKnight's behalf) and the score doesn't look nearly as close. We are moving our way up in the AFC, on top of our division going into the bye week, and best part is, the improvements that should be made to make us even better and more complete, certainly CAN be made. We are well on our way boys...

Anyway, some more detail on tonight's game. Hats off to the defense; that was as good a game plan, as good of play calling, and as good execution as I have seen from any defense this year, certainly. To hold that kind of quaterback, and that kind of offense to less than 150 yards in total offense (half of which came in absolute garbage time), zero offensive points and 8 first downs is absolutely incredible. We wanted the secondary to step it up? How about 40 percent passing, 98 yards, 0 TD's and 2 picks from the AFC's so called best passer. More of a pass rush? 4 sacks and constant pressure. More creative play calling? Different schemes, alignments and many more blitz packages than we have seen in the past. It all came together tonight, defensively. And when was the last time Arturo Freeman (interception) and Derrick Rodgers (sack) both made impact plays in the same game. It sure is great to have Knight and Seau on board.

As far as the offense goes, outstanding performance by Ricky Williams. No big runs, just tireless, consistent running that wore down the Bills defense, and as importantly, kept the ball out of Drew Bledsoe's hands. 42 carries and 41 minutes time of possesion. Wow! I love what Norv did, keeping the defense off balance, having faith in all of his players despite some mistakes, and making all of the correct, not conservative calls, in the most important moments. There was No feeling tonight of this game slipping away, it just wasn't going to happen. The Offensive line was actually very average. Not bad, considering the huge DT's Buffalo has, and some very active linebackers, but I expect better. Wade Smith, again, played well, except for the one sack that he allowed, he really held his own against a solid young pass rusher. But Jamie Nails looks, well, a little fat and slow out there, Seth McKinney was a little bit better than Ruddy, and at times I felt like Ricky had to do too much on his own. However, the line is definetly good enough to win right now, and they will get better. I do expect a change to be announced during the bye now that Dixon should be ready; he will be in the lineup somewhere. Probably at the expense of Nails.

Other than that, Chambers looked good. Barely missed the big hookup on the deep ball, that needs to be worked on, and he dropped an easy one late (so did Moulds), but he continues to show that he can not only get deep and make plays with his athleticism but he is a reliable target all over the field, over the middle, sidelines..whatever, and he got another touchdown tonight on a strike from Fiedler. Plus a couple of pass interference calls that were big. That's 16 catches for 260 yards and 3 TD's in two weeks; putting him on a pace for 85 catches, 1385 yards and 16 scores. Not bad huh? Great to see McMichael as a nice threat, again, and he also really held his own blocking tonight. McKnight and Thompson had their moments, but the mis timed jump from Thompson and the failure to turn his head around by McKnight, hopefully, will be a wake up call that they have got to become more consistent if they want to be counted on.

Fiedler had a pretty good night, with a few mistakes that definetly need to be eliminate; particularly the INT that was called back , and a couple of throws that he was late on (the first INT, and the first pass interference against Chambers over the middle). Other than that, he read the blitzes really well, had complete control over the game, made some really nice throws, and had that big play with his legs.

As I said, there are some kinks that need to be ironed out before we move on with the season. But all I want is for this team to get better and better as the season wears on, and be peaking in December. We're on the right track right now, let's keep it flowing.

Very thourough post. Good notes. I guess I thought the O-line played better than most here think. They were on the field for 40 minutes and while not dominant did hold their own against a very good D-line. Aahh... what do I know?

PhinfanBo1, I completely agree with your post.. a few mistakes here and there.. some miscommunication and bad timing between Fiedler and his targets.. and this game would have been even more dominant on the offensive side.. on the defensive side.. what else can you say.. just great defensive play all around.. plus 40 out of those 98 yards passing by bledsoe came at the end of the game off 4 completions.. so really.. bledsoe was held 6/21 for 48 yards through 58 minutes of play..

Back
Top Bottom