My top 2 targets in Fa | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

My top 2 targets in Fa

aquaman

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Guys, I hope we land some fellas who can help asap... I think getting Woody to be our center is #1 but we need to get Ron Stone 9'ers just cut him and I think he is a stud. Anyone have any other top 2 or 3 guys we gotta have? and can actually afford them?

Ron Stone (32 yrs old) could still be good, but ever since the Kevin Gogan experiment fell flat...I've been real nervous about adding old offensive lineman. I guess if it's only a 2 yr deal..and it's not too pricey it would be fine. At least he's a known commodity..as opposed to some young unknown with the dreaded "p" word..potential.

Ron Stone isn't the same as he once was and even when he was supposed to be a stud he was merely the best of a very weak free agent class. I dunno, just in general I don't like him.

What I would think would be a good idea is putting Woody in at Center and having McKinney play LG, and then on shotgun snaps, they switch. I mean, they come out of the huddle and one lines up at Center the other LG its not like you're tipping off the defense by sending in certain personnel (that would have happened already since if it was a shotgun play we'd have a bunch of WRs running out onto the field)...and there's nothing deceptive about a shotgun anyway to where we'd not want the defense tipped off by the fact that Woody is in at LG and McKinney is in at Center...I mean I would think the QB lining up about 5 yards behind the center would do THAT. But it might give the defense one more thing to think about...meanwhile we use the shotgun so little I wouldn't worry about continuity issues.

Its something to consider for Woody if we really go after him, because as the Scouts Inc report said, center is a more important position for a team like ours and a RB like Ricky Williams who needs cutback lanes.

Stone is a top ten guard and a devastating run blocker.
I'd love to get both of them, and maybe Ruben Brown for the other guard. Last year before the season started, The War Room rated Brown as the 6th best guard in the league, with Stone 8th. Woody was the #4 center.
What an interior that would be. Ricky would have holes you could drive a semi through. :)

I also wouldn't mind if we bring Jamie Nails back to go with those two either. I think we'll see the Nails of 2002 in 2004, now that he has recovered completely from his Achilles' Tendon injury and can weight lift again. Think, last winter he could not have done any deadlifts, squats or power cleans, basically anything that would have required him to be standing while doing the lift. He'll be able to get the old drive back in his lower unit this winter by being able to work out regularly.
Last year, even coming back from the injury, The War Room rated Nails the best run blocker among all guards. I don't really agree, but thought it interesting considering he was coming off that injury.

I'd love to see us land Woody and Stone. Our interior would be tough.

Stone is flat out fantastic. We need to get him.

Back
Top Bottom