Nails being challenged? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Nails being challenged?

XoPhinsoX

No More Injuries, Please ;).
Reaction score
That is the next discussion," Wannstedt said. "Now that we have evaluated the center thing, now let's look at the whole group and go back to that thing: `Are we playing our five best?'"

Appearing most vulnerable to a challenge from McKinney is left guard Jamie Nails. McKinney started the final two games of 2002 in place of Nails, who had torn an Achilles' tendon.

Early last week Wannstedt said he believed Nails was OK physically but called on him to play with more urgency. The sixth-year veteran apparently hadn't responded well enough.

"He knows he can play a lot better," Wannstedt said Saturday. "He is not playing where he was playing at last year."

McKinney, the third-round pick in 2002, has gotten nearly all his snaps in camp at center because Wannstedt said he wanted to give him a chance to win the job.

Now that Ruddy is headed into his ninth straight season as center, Wannstedt said McKinney has played well enough to earn a shot at another position.

:(

This will make Nails step up. McKinney will not start at Guard, no way...he will get dominated like he did last year.

I don't think he got dominated. Ricky ran pretty well in Nails' absence.

Right now Jamie Nails is doing a turn-style impression in pass protection and it is costing the Dolphins ability in the passing game.

I would give some serious thought to starting Wade Smith and moving Dixon over to his old LG spot.

everything's posible CK. Dixon is a better guard than he is a LT and Smith is doing pretty good so far. I'm hoping that Nails will get back to playing like he did last season but maybe he's not ready to let it all go with that injury in his head. I didn't think he could be ready by the opener and maybe he's not.

Ozzy rules!!

Yes Nails clumped. Since Wade Smith is stepping up and we are trying to emphasize the passing game......having a fierce run blocker isn't important since the phins realized they could run wild on the right side. Nails has always been a problem in pass protection and it may catch up to him here.

I too would like to see Dixon moved back to LG with Nails as the backup. Only problem with that is that we need to sign a backup LT and you would already have that guy, Nails, McKinney and Whitley as the backups which means that tackle needs to play both sides.

Don't think it makes it all that viable. So the best chance may be McKinney unseating Nails. They want to find a starting spot for this kid so bad. Plus Nails is a FA next year and having one less guy to resign may factor into those plans (or getting him back cheaply that way as a backup)

Wait a minute, what happened here? A few months ago everyone was clamoring about how Nails is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Now he is a bum? Everyone and their mothers (except Oliver) was hoping Dixon could slide to LG so that Nails could unseat Perry on the right side. Now everyone loves Perry and Nails has to go. Sheesh! It is hard to keep up with all the differing opinions thta change day to day here! :lol:

Nails will remain the starting guard unless he is still hurt or get's hurt. Wanny is just pulling all the tricks out of his bag this year and trying to motivate everyone. He has tried the nice guy approach and now he is trying the other approach. MR. Nasty calling guys out!:fire:

Last edited by a moderator:
It is rare to find a O lineman who is overpowering on both Running and Passing plays, they are usually good at one or the other. So as long as Nails keeps blocking good for Ricky he will be starting.

Originally posted by Prime Time
This will make Nails step up. McKinney will not start at Guard, no way...he will get dominated like he did last year.

It was the rookie's first start of his career And it came against Chris Hovan.....one of the absolute best DTs in the league.

He's improved a whole bunch this year. Seth has become the big pimp of our OL. :wharf: Whenever someone needs to step up their level of play, they move Big Seth over to challenge them and whip them into shape.

No way Wade Smith holds up for 16 games at left tackle. Every rookie hits the wall at some point, and with Smith lacking upper-body strength to the degree he does, we're in trouble if he has to start more than 6 or 7 games. We're going to have to plug Mark Dixon in at left tackle at some point and Jamie Nails is going to have to get it together at left guard.

Originally posted by XoPhinsoX
That is the next discussion," Wannstedt said. "Now that we have evaluated the center thing, now let's look at the whole group and go back to that thing: `Are we playing our five best?'"

Appearing most vulnerable to a challenge from McKinney is left guard Jamie Nails. McKinney started the final two games of 2002 in place of Nails, who had torn an Achilles' tendon.

Early last week Wannstedt said he believed Nails was OK physically but called on him to play with more urgency. The sixth-year veteran apparently hadn't responded well enough.

"He knows he can play a lot better," Wannstedt said Saturday. "He is not playing where he was playing at last year."

McKinney, the third-round pick in 2002, has gotten nearly all his snaps in camp at center because Wannstedt said he wanted to give him a chance to win the job.

Now that Ruddy is headed into his ninth straight season as center, Wannstedt said McKinney has played well enough to earn a shot at another position.

:(

Friday's game was the worst I have ever seen Nails look. He was beaten several times on passing downs by speed rushers. I saw Wade Smith and Todd Perry save his butt a few times.

I think this has more to do with the fact that they were facing a 3-4 defense than anything. It's discouraging they played so badly as a unit, but I think it's the exception not the rule with this unit.

Oliver...

Originally posted by clumpedplatelet
Or maybe his "health" is hindering his performance

:foundout:

Would that be his "healthy" appetite ? ;)

Back
Top Bottom