NCSU P.Rivers... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NCSU P.Rivers...

TeeMoney

Kid A
Club Member
Reaction score
I'm currently watching the exciting NCSU/FSU game and the commentators are wetting themselves with their verbal gushing over Phillip Rivers. At seemingly every opportunity they are comparing him to Dan Marino. Someone on this messageboard (recently) mentioned that Rivers' mechanics were awful and would take a miracle for Rivers to put it together at the next level. The dolphins will most likely be in a QB hunt next year, and with Rivers' horrible mechanics- could he fall to Miami and should the FO take a shot?

T$

his mechanics are not horrible. He has a unique throwing style that if anyone tries to change will really mess up his play. If he does slip down to us (he wont) we should pick him up no doubt. This kid is special.

I've loved the guy since I first saw him play two years ago and I still do. The FSU defense can't stop him tonight but I have no idea how he would fall to us unless we have a top 15 pick, I think he'll go top 5 though.

After Sifting through the forum I have found what I was looking for...

From a gentleman named "boomer"

" Phillip Rivers is a great college QB and may make a serviceable NFL player, but he holds the ball way too low, so the time of delivery is much longer, he rarely sets his feet properly or steps into his throws, he rarely follows through, he changes his point of release and he has hideous mechanics and an average arm. His mechanics are so bad that he looks like a crippled Bernie Kosar. There is NO WAY on earth, barring serious injury, that he gets drafted ahead of Roethlisberger. And I doubt strongly that he ends up a 1st rounder."

"His delivery and the fact that he doesn't step into his passes and all the other things I said earlier will make teams pass on him. It would take a HELL of a long time to tear down Rivers' skills and put them back together again. Hey I hope the kid starts and has a great career because he has balls, but I just don't see it."

Now, I don't know who or what Boomer is, but he obviously has more than just a cursory knowledge on college football players. I don't know how accurate his predictions are (I suppose I could look up his history) but for the moment I will bow to his persuasive analysis.

More differing views would be appreciated.

Originally posted by outtawack311
his mechanics are not horrible. He has a unique throwing style that if anyone tries to change will really mess up his play. If he does slip down to us (he wont) we should pick him up no doubt. This kid is special.

Sounds a lot like a former Dolphin QB, doesn't it?? ;)

I posted something about Rivers in that same thread. Granted, I didn't watch him intently (just casually watched the game). But he looked really good. I'd love to have him.

Also, Boomer is a draft guy. You'll love him in the offseason. :)

Rivers is special. i've been saynig all along i wouldn't care if we didn't try and get manning if we can get Rivers.

the guy has a completition % of over 70... mechanics what?

This is funny. I watched Rivers early on in the season and that is where I did not like him. His arm was weak and his mechanics akward. Something's different about him, I can't tell what but something about him has changed.

Here's one thing about him you don't know. He is married and has a child already. That is definitely good. Those players have maturity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Jaj
This is funny. I watched Rivers early on in the season and that is where I did not like him. His arm was weak and his mechanics akward. Something's different about him, I can't tell what but something about him has changed.

Here's one thing about him you don't know. He is married and has a child already. That is definitely good. Those players have maturity.

i look at a QB in our division... TOM BRADY! he was what? a 6th round pick?

Negatives: Poor build. Very skinny and narrow. Ended the ’99 season weighing 195 pounds and still looks like a rail at 211. Looks a little frail and lacks great physical stature and strength. Can get pushed down more easily than you’d like. Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush. Lacks a really strong arm. Can’t drive the ball down the field and does not throw a really tight spiral. System-type player who can get exposed if he must ad-lib and do things on his own.

yeah... i know what they mean. superbowl champion... the REASON the pats were in the superbowl...

i know they have some and different attributes, and are different people, but they were both are both mature QB. this is what it takes in the NFL. Ryan Leaf was proof of that.

I start to wonder if he would just change his stance and release the ball at a different point he could do very well. I think he has a strong arm, but some of his akward motions detract from that.

Just thought I'd add today's stats @FSU to this thread too.

28/38...422 yds...4 TDs...0 INTs
11 car...27 yds...1 TD

:eek: I'd say he played well. Also of note, there were SEVERAL dropped passes today.

Philip Rivers is a GREAT COLLEGE qb. But he has horrendous mechanics... and slightly above average arm strength. The college game is completely different than in the pro's.
How else does one explain why qb's from the "elite college teams" (Oklahoma - Heupel, Miami - Dorsey, Torretta, Erickson, Florida - Weurefful, Matthews, FSU - Kanell, Ward (chose bball for a reason), etc. These were great college qb's with neither the speed, arm strength, mechanics, delivery, whatever to succeed in the pro's on a CONSISTENT basis.
How will Rivers get the ball out of the pocket throwing it from his hip against the size and speed of NFL defenders? Without the arm strength, and with the long delivery motion he has... how will he throw the out pattern against the speed of NFL db's? There are exeptions to every rule... and I hope Rivers is one. I think he's a great qb to watch, he has guts, and never gives up (unlike our soft Wanny led Fins!).
But the reality of the situation is that NFL defensive coordinators would run schemes to exploit the glaring weaknesses of his qb skills. Rivers throws a lot of short hop passes because of his delivery. Watch the tapes from all his games this year.
Rivers is no Marino (who had an incredibly quick release to offset his mobility problems). Really, as the NFL has changed in regards to defensive speed in the past few years... would Marino in his prime now be the player he was back in the day? Answer is no. The speed of the defenses would overwhelm him... because even Brady can roll out a little. Dan's knees would have gotten him killed in today's game.
So my conclusion? Dump the big salaries of the heartless, and aging defense (Zach too!), and start to rebuild with... no not Manning (only cause we'll NEVER get him). How about Big Ben from Miami (Oh), or Walter from ASU, Grabowski from Toledo, Losman from Tulane... what's the pattern? None of these qb's are from elite schools. Jason White you say? Leader of the best team in college football? Bad wheels (three knee surgeries).
Talent, arm strength, speed, size are what's needed in the NFL... not statistics.

If you ever get a chance to watch the NFL network as much as I have since it went on air......

You'll see a real coach talking softly to QB's about throwing the ball gently so his receivers can catch it.

Phil Simms commented that the first time he was asked by this coach to throw a ball he dropped back and threw a "cannon shot".

The coach told him "no, no" in a soft voice.

The coach? Bill Walsh.

Forget about all that draft grade crap.

Marino in his prime, overwhelmed?? I just can't buy it. He might not have lasted as long. And his stats might not have been as high. And I agree that mobility is more important today. But with Ricky Williams behind him and an average line, I just can't see it. It seems like you're discounting that oversized football peanut between Dan's ears. With guys like 35-year old Brad Johnson throwing far more TDs than INTs in today's game, how can you say that Dan Marino in his prime would be overwhelmed??

Back
Top Bottom