NCSU P.Rivers... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NCSU P.Rivers...

An interesting side note here........

I went to google and typed in the names of Bill Walsh and Brian Griese.

I came up with this from November 2001.

As head coach of the San Francisco 49ers from 1979-1988, Bill Walsh established himself as the consummate pro football architect. He won three Super Bowls, and compiled a won-lost record of 102-63-1. Best known for his West Coast Offense, a ball-control passing game, Walsh was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1993.

Young talent abounds at quarterback in today's NFL. On Walsh's list of the top 10 players at the position, seven have four or fewer years of experience.

Who ranks number one? Walsh bestows that honor on Brian Griese, who is in his third season as a starter for the Denver Broncos. Griese, who joined the Broncos in 1998 as a third-round draft choice from Michigan, earned his first Pro Bowl berth last season while leading the league in passer rating (102.9). He also tied for the second-best touchdown-to-interception ratio (19-4) in NFL history.

"He is so consistent and so stable," Walsh says. "He makes very few errors. He is in an excellent system and has tremendous poise. He is simply the most effective quarterback in the league today."

Walsh's Top 10
1. Brian Griese
2. Brett Favre
3. Peyton Manning
4. Kurt Warner
5. Rich Gannon
6. Daunte Culpepper
7. Jeff Garcia
8. Aaron Brooks
9. Mark Brunell
10. Donovan McNabb

Zod's note-
We have the QB. We need an offensive line.

Gradkowsi from Toledo is an interesting pick but really not worth it. I go to the University of Toledo so I have watched a few games (and hung out with the guy). The Rocket's scheme is all quick outs slants and WR screens. He never throws down the field but more relies on big plays by his WR's. He is all about YAC. Stil la very good QB who makes pretty good decisions and can have huge games.

I can't stop drooling over Roethlisberger (fellow MAC QB). This guy is the real deal. I think we should do whatever it takes to move up and get one of the top 3 QB's. Ricky with a REAL QB would make this offense instatly better. If only we had a 2nd round pick to get a WR. I would love to see Chambers, Tolver and a rookie WR and Roethlisberger back there.

What do you guys think about moving up for a QB?

Originally posted by red mosquito
Philip Rivers is a GREAT COLLEGE qb. But he has horrendous mechanics... and slightly above average arm strength. The college game is completely different than in the pro's.
How else does one explain why qb's from the "elite college teams" (Oklahoma - Heupel, Miami - Dorsey, Torretta, Erickson, Florida - Weurefful, Matthews, FSU - Kanell, Ward (chose bball for a reason), etc. These were great college qb's with neither the speed, arm strength, mechanics, delivery, whatever to succeed in the pro's on a CONSISTENT basis.
How will Rivers get the ball out of the pocket throwing it from his hip against the size and speed of NFL defenders? Without the arm strength, and with the long delivery motion he has... how will he throw the out pattern against the speed of NFL db's? There are exeptions to every rule... and I hope Rivers is one. I think he's a great qb to watch, he has guts, and never gives up (unlike our soft Wanny led Fins!).
But the reality of the situation is that NFL defensive coordinators would run schemes to exploit the glaring weaknesses of his qb skills. Rivers throws a lot of short hop passes because of his delivery. Watch the tapes from all his games this year.
Rivers is no Marino (who had an incredibly quick release to offset his mobility problems). Really, as the NFL has changed in regards to defensive speed in the past few years... would Marino in his prime now be the player he was back in the day? Answer is no. The speed of the defenses would overwhelm him... because even Brady can roll out a little. Dan's knees would have gotten him killed in today's game.
So my conclusion? Dump the big salaries of the heartless, and aging defense (Zach too!), and start to rebuild with... no not Manning (only cause we'll NEVER get him). How about Big Ben from Miami (Oh), or Walter from ASU, Grabowski from Toledo, Losman from Tulane... what's the pattern? None of these qb's are from elite schools. Jason White you say? Leader of the best team in college football? Bad wheels (three knee surgeries).
Talent, arm strength, speed, size are what's needed in the NFL... not statistics.

marino played 17 years... if he was still playing now, it would be in his 20's... he had the shoulder problems, and leg issues.. but if you stuck him in his prime, in todays game he would be still amazing.

#2 Philip Rivers has good arm strength. a LOT of scouts say it looks like he doesn't because of the way he throws... but he has arm strength. didn't they say all that stuff about brady?

Originally posted by PhiNomina
Gradkowsi from Toledo is an interesting pick but really not worth it. I go to the University of Toledo so I have watched a few games (and hung out with the guy). The Rocket's scheme is all quick outs slants and WR screens. He never throws down the field but more relies on big plays by his WR's. He is all about YAC. Stil la very good QB who makes pretty good decisions and can have huge games.

I can't stop drooling over Roethlisberger (fellow MAC QB). This guy is the real deal. I think we should do whatever it takes to move up and get one of the top 3 QB's. Ricky with a REAL QB would make this offense instatly better. If only we had a 2nd round pick to get a WR. I would love to see Chambers, Tolver and a rookie WR and Roethlisberger back there.

What do you guys think about moving up for a QB?

we may not have to if O-gun fetches a pick. a lot of reports say the SD chargers will draft a Kevin Wilfolk of Miami. maybe they'll get O-gun because he's proven, and young still.

I don't know about Rothesberger.. theres something about him i just don't like.

i can't wait for the NFL combine...

Are you talking about Vince Wilfork?? If so, they can't substitute Wally for him. Wilfork is a 350-lb DT. And that's where they're weak. They have Wiley and his big contract at LE. Unless they feel they can move one guy over to the right side and get a DT later or in FA, I don't see it happening.

who cares how rivers throws the ball, all that matters is that it gets there on time, right? he's a guy i'd like to see the fins take a shot on, as he's been a favorite of mine ever since his true forsh season at state. he did good things in his first two seasons without a lot of talent, sans koren robinson his frosh year. when he got weapons like mcclendon and cotchery to play with, he became even more effective. the kid does have a weird delivery (which should not be changed) and below average footwork and a lack of consistency on his mechanics (which can be taught), but he's got nfl arm, and more importantly, he's got an nfl heart

First of all I am a HUGE rivers fan. I'd like to see what happens in the Combine..see if the Scouts rip into him and he pulls a Brad Banks and drops of the face of the earth.

As it currently stands, I don't think Rivers was a top 10 QB. Which means IF we decided not to trade up for an Eli, we could probably sit with a mid round pick, or even a low pick and safely pick him up. If the horrible mechanics accuations are true i wouldn't be against picking him up way lower. He is a decent sized QB that DOES have an arm, he can thread the needle, makes great decisions and is a TRUE team leader. i honestly don't see the throwing motion issues, he has this side arm thing going on, but it works for him, and doesn't seem to be a grotesquely slow release. He's no Dan Marino or Marc Bulger, but he's not as slow as molasses either.

I do however see (and commented on it last year when watching him play) that he holds the ball too low when dropping back in the pocket. THAT may prevent him from reaching his motion faster, but it's totally correctible, and as a plus he always keeps 2 hands on the ball. I'd like someone to post a pic and show me where his follow through is the problem. I'm curious as to what I am missing. As for being mad at a guy for not planting his feet, remember that his starting HB plays on average less than half the game. The line is good, but he's a roll out passer. As long as he can get it done without setting his feet I'm fine with it, he's not a true scrammbler, but he doesn't like to stay in the pocket and plant. Kind of reminds me of the way flutie plays after the snap. No matter what, he almost always picks a side to roll to as he reads the play. It doesn't seem to effect his power or accuracy, as long as he gets it done I'm willing to accept it.

I guess he's a wild card, but in all rights he's attainable to us withOUT trading up. However I'd still like to see us trade up and get Eli, if he's not availabe i'd go for a T and hope that Rivers is there in the second round. But the draft is a long ways off, and a lot of things can change between now and then.

Back
Top Bottom