Need some advice on what to do. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Need some advice on what to do.

KingCrowder

Perennial All-Pro
Reaction score
My Daughters softball team is almost finished with their season. This is their first year after T-Ball and they are pretty bad. They lost every game of the season, and got spanked their first game of the tournaments. The tournaments are double elimination and I'm they will most likely lose their next game.

Here is where I need advice. I was thinking of buying them trophies for the improvement they have shown and to kind of lift there spirits. Some people think it is a good idea, but some think it isn't a good idea because they didn't "earn" the trophy and by giving them trophies it would send the wrong message. Just wanted to know if I was in the minority on this.

This is just one opinion, at that age a trophy doesnt mean that much. What they will enjoy more is a group trip to the local ice cream shop after the game.

Giving trophies does set a certain expectation level in their minds for the future. My opinion: give them personalized certificates of participation highlighting each girls most positive contribution to the team. If you're having a banquet or bbq picnic celebration, it is quite fun to read them out during the "awards" presentation.

Giving trophies does set a certain expectation level in their minds for the future. My opinion: give them personalized certificates of participation highlighting each girls most positive contribution to the team. If you're having a banquet or bbq picnic celebration, it is quite fun to read them out during the "awards" presentation.

Yeah The coach is taking them to Pizza Hut after the game.

This is just one opinion, at that age a trophy doesnt mean that much. What they will enjoy more is a group trip to the local ice cream shop after the game.
exactly. i think that would mean a lot more....i know it did to me at that age :D

Pretty good idea. One of my coaches (way back when) actually gave us each a baseball with our "biggest asset" to the team. I think mine was best on base percentage or something like that. Then we each got every other team member to sign everyones ball. That way everyone had a keep sake memory from the team. Just a cute Idea I remembered from my little league coach.

Our kids get trophy up to the end of 3rd and 4th grade softball (This is Rec)

For Travel softball they get nothing but a party unless they come in first or second in the playoffs.

I coach baseball and basketball at two different age groups. My thought on your daughters age group is simple. They are still KIDS. So know matter what you get them or what you do for them they will love it. At that age they don't have to "earn" nothing. Let them have fun and show them how to play the game and the rest will take care of itself. GO FOR IT!:clap:

I coach baseball and basketball at two different age groups. My thought on your daughters age group is simple. They are still KIDS. So know matter what you get them or what you do for them they will love it. At that age they don't have to "earn" nothing. Let them have fun and show them how to play the game and the rest will take care of itself. GO FOR IT!:clap:

That was my exact thinking.

Is that Peter King with you?

I coached softball against him last year in the ugals softball league, he coaches Montclair, he was a very good guy.

Is that Peter King with you?

I coached softball against him last year in the ugals softball league, he coaches Montclair, he was a very good guy.
Yeah, that was at Canton at Marino's HOF weekend. He was a nice guy. Didn't mind taking the time to shoot the breeze and get a snapshot.

I work with kids a lot and they have a lot more "stuff" today than when I was their age. That said the trophy part is a good idea but probably not the best idea here.

The party idea is wonderful, it reminds the kids that sports is forst about fun and team building. But, my vote for the best sports idea in this thread is the baseball for everyone and have all the team members sign it. That's a nice memory and is "functional" as well.

Back
Top Bottom