New Draft Senario | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

New Draft Senario

dino56

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Patriots | Could Move Up In First Round To Draft Secondary Help - from www.KFFL.com
Wed, 21 Apr 2004 13:24:18 -0700

Armando Salguero, of the Miami Herald, reports the New England Patriots might try to move up in the first round to draft either NFL draft prospect S Sean Taylor (Miami, FL) or CB DeAngelo Hall (Virginia Tech), according to an NFL source. In a possible scenario, the Patriots would offer a first-round pick (No. 32 overall) and their remaining second-round pick (No. 63) in exchange for the Miami Dolphins' No. 20 overall pick. That would give the Patriots consecutive picks – No. 20 and No. 21 – in the first round, and they would parlay both picks to move up.

Heard it before.

Still don't get why the Pats would want to help us by trading our first for their first and second.

I mean 21, 32, and 63 would prob get them up to 6/7, whats the difference between that and 20, 21

finsnchips said:
Heard it before.

Still don't get why the Pats would want to help us by trading our first for their first and second.

I mean 21, 32, and 63 would prob get them up to 6/7, whats the difference between that and 20, 21

Fins, its possible that a lot of teams feel that this years talent pool begins to thin out after 18-20 players. If thats the case (and Ive read it in several places), any team looking to trade with the Pats would demand that they acquire Miam'is pick as a prerequisite for making a trade.

this is a good point.

but any team that the patsies trade up with are going to need draft picks.

I suppose it's a win/win situation.

Do you like the trade from our POV.

This trade would give us one more pick and we could still get a good OL at 32. I'd say go for it.

I would want more to trade with the Patriots simply because they are the Patriots. They already got Dillon with one of our picks. I won't bar trading with the enemy, but I would at least like to see it happen only on favorable terms.

I like the trade on the condition that Andrews is off the board. Problem is, the Pats obviously need to make the trade early in the draft if they want to move into the top 5-6. Which essentially means we CANT know if Andrews will be there when we make the trade.

Catch 22? I think so. Ul;timately, Id probably pass on the Pats trade and see if theres a trade partner that is willing to move up to our spot while were on the clock.

If that Pats don't move, we are put in a very interesting position (in my opinion). They will surely be looking CB at #21 (Gamble . . . possibly Robinson if he were to fall). There are a lot of teams (Cincinnati, Kansas City, Indianapolis, Carolina) at the bottom of round 1 who would probably be VERY interested in moving ahead of them to take one of those guys. Do any of you think Cincinnati would be interested in moving back up to #20 in order to pick a CB before the Pats? They would only be moving up 4 spots but considering the fact that everyone knows the Pats are looking CB/S, it would be a beneficial move. Also, they have their 2nd round pick, our 2nd round pick, their 3rd round pick, and I believe a comp. pick at the end of the 3rd round as well. Just a thought . . .

Surferosa said:
Catch 22? I think so. Ultimately, Id probably pass on the Pats trade and see if theres a trade partner that is willing to move up to our spot while were on the clock.

I agree .... remember when JJ traded our #1 down early on & missed out on Moss when he fell to where we were with our original #1? Don't like it ... especially early in round 1 before things have a had a chance to settle.

Perhaps the Patriots can get the trade done anyway and we can trade with the team they are talking to if need be. I like the Patriots trading up because that means fewer young players from this promising draft class, and I like the idea of Miami trading down if the FO thinks it is the best strategy...

I DO mind "trading with the enemy", especially if it means they would get a stud like Taylor, that we would have to reckon with for years to come. Very bad idea. I, and others, are of the opinion Taylor is the best player in the draft, and we would help the Patsies get him, extremely bad idea.

Gearhead, as JJ has said a hundred times before. Even if we hadn't traded that pick we wouldn't have taken Moss. We'd have taken Vonnie Holliday.

Surferosa said:
I like the trade on the condition that Andrews is off the board. Problem is, the Pats obviously need to make the trade early in the draft if they want to move into the top 5-6. Which essentially means we CANT know if Andrews will be there when we make the trade.

Catch 22? I think so. Ul;timately, Id probably pass on the Pats trade and see if theres a trade partner that is willing to move up to our spot while were on the clock.

Yeah, it's a very tough call. The trade itself is good value. Personally, I would probably pull the trigger, because I don't think Andrews is falling to #20. The problem with waiting is that it's unlikely that we're going to get a better offer than that.
The upshot here is that I'm *NOT* making the decision. :) Spielman is likely to have far more insight as to who's going where, so if nothing else, he'll have a better idea than we would as to whether our boy Shawn is likely to be on the board at #20.
Yes, I know I just played the "trust in Rick" card. Flame away. :fire:

My darkhorse trade partner is the Chiefs. They deperately need to upgrade their defense but their is little defensive value at #30 (thats why most mocks have them picking a WR even though their defense sucks). By moving up 10 spots, they can have their pick of Starks, Stubbs, DJ WIlliams, Vilma?, Poole, etc. I can see them givign up their number 2 (late in the second) to make the jump.

Surferosa said:
My darkhorse trade partner is the Chiefs. They deperately need to upgrade their defense but their is little defensive value at #30 (thats why most mocks have them picking a WR even though their defense sucks). By moving up 10 spots, they can have their pick of Starks, Stubbs, DJ WIlliams, Vilma?, Poole, etc. I can see them givign up their number 2 (late in the second) to make the jump.

It's a thought, and a reasonable one, especially if Starks is still on the board, which he should be. Not quite so much for Williams; I think their LBs are the least needy area on the D. (A good friend of mine is a Chiefs fan, so I have a fair amount of insight on them.)
Personally, I think they need so much help in so many spots that they won't look to trade up, though. There's probably 6 or 7 defensive starters that are easily replaceable on that team. Getting rid of draft picks might not be the way to do it.

Back
Top Bottom