New Draft Strategy By The Front Office | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

New Draft Strategy By The Front Office

Fin Fan in Cali

Fins Up!
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
i wanted to ask what do you think some of the best changes that happened to our front office for this draft?
Was it Chris Grier learning and being the main man now?
Chris along with Marvin Allen, and Reggie McKenzie working together?

I think it was number 2 for me. I am really happy to have Reggie here. I do think Chris May have learned from the past as well.

Thoughts?

i wanted to ask what do you think some of the best changes that happened to our front office for this draft?
Was it Chris Grier learning and being the main man now?
Chris along with Marvin Allen, and Reggie McKenzie working together?

I think it was number 2 for me. I am really happy to have Reggie here. I do think Chris May have learned from the past as well.

Thoughts?
I think T-baum being gone is one of the best things that could have happen. I see we're trying to get picks instead of trading them away. Yes we traded for Rosen but I'm fine with it now after the dust cleared. Gotten rid of bad contracts.

I agree that getting McKenzie was a good move. Getting Caldwell was another good move. He's a good QB's coach.I know we won't be very good this year but at least I see a plan in the works that could be very good for us in the long run.

Grier is NOT a bad gm, at all.

He always wants to acquire assets and have tons of draft picks. That's how you build a consistent winner. Not blowing picks in trades for old vets, not overpaying vets in FA. Just drafting tons of kids and coaching them up.

If Flores is the real deal at HC, then Miami will become a great football team with those 2 at the top.

Definitely a combination of M.T. leaving and McKenzie and Allen coming on board. Some of the dislike for Grier was misguided as he never had final say.

The main thing is Stephen Ross finally realizing the franchise was in a hyperloop. The more things changed, the more things stayed the same. He finally rid himself of his Tannenbaum mistake. And realized Gase was not up to par. Grier had that New England pedigree and he seemed to be keeping score as to what Grier would have done, as opposed to what was done with Tannenbaum and Gase. Marvin Allen and Reggie McKenzie are two well respected Football Minds. Grier went out and Got Them. To me that's a testament to how he wanted things in Miami. One voice and good talent evaluators are the proper way to run a team. Miami now has that in place.

Everything we're seeing followed from not being attached to a QB going into free agency. When you don't have that, your personnel strategy is not directly related to trying to help your perceived franchise QB succeed, so you can concentrate more on just getting the best player available.

Last edited:
Without a doubt TBum is being gone is crucial. Stupid ass clown ****.

I’ve said it before in other threads, Ross believed that Miami would have been in much better shape if he listened to Grier more in the past. That was one of the big reasons he’s our GM now.

No doubt having veteran front office guys like Allen and Reggie there helped a ton.

I don't think the issue was really in the drafting (outside of Dion Jordan.... and Charles Harris I'm iffy on). There are hits and misses but generally the draft picks they've gotten have turned into productive players somewhere (if not with the Dolphins).

The main issue in the front office was Tannenbaum handing out ridiculous contracts (which I hope Grier wasn't a part of). That is/was the major downfall of this organization. Overpaying for talent (and the talentless).

I wouldn't discount the fact Flores has a background in scouting
and has obviously redefined positional specs as well.

Been saying all along I like the addition of Marvin Allen and Reggie.
Grier has a LOT of potential insight readily available and I believe him
when he keeps stating their program is a "collaboration."

The Rosen trade throttled back our immediate impact from this draft
because we definitely could have landed McCoy and with the 4th we lost
could have been more aggressive in R3.

Personally I was very against #48 for Rosen -- but the way the trade down
worked -- adding the R2 2020 -- it made the deal very palatable. Not excited
we forked over an R5 in '20 but it seems we had to add that little treat to
make the deal happen...

Obviously if Rosen pans out and becomes a legit NFL QB who can play
consistent ball and effectively/efficiently run the O it was great move.
But I'm 100% from Missouri on this one. And I don't won't to hear
the hype and propaganda -- I want to see the results on the field.
And I'm OK waiting until the back end of the season if the staff isn't
100% convinced Rosen is ready for prime time. Now that we've made
the investment -- let's make sure we don't force things for the sake of
appeasing to the fans etc.

Last, with the assets we've accumulated for 2020 -- Grier, Allen and
Reggie should get plenty of opportunities to shine -- if indeed that
possibility is in play. I hope so...

BNF

Last edited:
I don't think the issue was really in the drafting (outside of Dion Jordan.... and Charles Harris I'm iffy on). There are hits and misses but generally the draft picks they've gotten have turned into productive players somewhere (if not with the Dolphins).

The main issue in the front office was Tannenbaum handing out ridiculous contracts (which I hope Grier wasn't a part of). That is/was the major downfall of this organization. Overpaying for talent (and the talentless).

Ridiculous contracts and bad trades. That's T-Baums strategy. He must be a REALLY good tipper bc he consistently overpays.

I wouldn't discount the fact Flores has a background in scouting
and has obviously redefined positional specs as well.

Been saying all along I like the addition of Marvin Allen and Reggie.
Grier has a LOT of potential insight readily available and I believe him
when he keeps stating their program is a "collaboration."

The Rosen trade throttled back our immediate impact from this draft
because we definitely could have landed McCoy and with the 4th we lost
could have been more aggressive in R3.

Personally I was very against #48 for Rosen -- but the way the trade down
worked -- adding the R2 2020 -- it made the deal very palatable. Not excited
we forked over an R5 in '20 but it seems we had to add that little treat to
make the deal happen...

Obviously if Rosen pans out and becomes a legit NFL QB who can play
consistent ball and effectively/efficiently run the O it was great move.
But I'm 100% from Missouri on this one. And I don't won't to hear
the hype and propaganda -- I want to see the results on the field.
And I'm OK waiting until the back end of the season if the staff isn't
100% convinced Rosen is ready for prime time. Now that we've made
the investment -- let's make sure we don't force things for the sake of
appeasing to the fans etc.

Last, with the assets we've accumulated for 2020 -- Grier, Allen and
Reggie should get plenty of opportunities to shine -- if indeed that
possibility is in play. I hope so...

BNF
I appreciate your post, because it reflex my exact feelings. I wasn't happy about the trade for Rosen. But after this weekend, I've come to realize what you've just written about. And yes Missouri is the "Show Me State". That was something my Father would always say to us as kids. Thanks for bringing back a few memories of my Dad!!!

Without a doubt TBum is being gone is crucial. Stupid *** clown ****.

I’ve said it before in other threads, Ross believed that Miami would have been in much better shape if he listened to Grier more in the past. That was one of the big reasons he’s our GM now.

No doubt having veteran front office guys like Allen and Reggie there helped a ton.
Ha Ha = "***Clown"

I think the other thing that stood out is that they kept there plans quiet and close to those in the organization. It seemed like in the past everyone knew what we were doing.

Back
Top Bottom