New Mid-season Mock | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

New Mid-season Mock

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
1. Devin White, LSU, LB
In today's NFL where teams are passing nearly two-thirds of the time, teams need complete linebackers. White has a chance to be one of the best in the NFL and would greatly improve Miami's front seven. A DT or DE Is a big possibility here as well.

2. Ryan Finley, QB, NC State
Ryan Tannehill's durability issues makes getting a quarterback a top priority. This is a tough draft for quarterback, but Finley could be a nice second round find in the mold of a Kirk Cousins.

3. Erik McCoy G/C, Texas A'M
A versatile interior lineman known for his run blocking. Miami needs to add talent to the offensive line.

4. Corbin Kaufusi DE, BYU
A former basketball player, the mammoth lineman (6-9, 285) is a project who has shown pass rush ability.

5. Dontavius Russell, DT Auburn
Miami has had some nice success with late round DT's and Russell has talent to work with.

6. Tyrie Cleveland, WR, Florida
Since Gase has been HC in Miami, the Dolphins have been adding receivers in the draft. Cleveland has had some injuries, but he has made some big plays and at 6-2 offers more size than the team's current group.

7. Jonathan Ledbetter, DE, Georgia
Another big DE at 6-4, 277. Ledbetter has mostly flashed ability, but as a late rounder maybe there's something there.

Appreciate the effort SF, and I always enjoy reading your reasoning.

I couldn't be mad about adding Devin White. He's looked better each year at LSU, and his combination of speed and physicality would be a welcome addition at LB. It would mean that Miami has already given up on McMillan, though, and at one of the two least valuable positions on D, I don't know if that's the wisest approach. But, if the worthwhile DT's and Pass Rushers are off the board, again, I couldn't be mad.

For the last few months, I've said that Day 3 is the place to look for a QB. With regard to premium resources, I don't see any good bets. Assuming that Herbert and Haskins return for 2019 or are off the board in the 2nd, Shea Patterson is the only QB I pull the trigger on Day 2, and I'd be squinting as I did it. Drafting a QB on Day 3 won't likely produce great results, but if you look for the right traits, you have a chance of hitting, and you're bypassing much lesser talents elsewhere. If you get a good backup on Day 3, that's not a failure. In the 2nd Round, it is.

I like Kaufusi as a player, but he's already 25 years old. Slimm, of course, was aware of this before I was, but I couldn't draft a player born in 1993. He'll be 26 when he's drafted. Again, he looks really good, but he's already a grown-ass man.

I could see Ledbetter being a William Hayes type of DE. Don't love his ceiling, but in the 7th, there's a lot to like.

If we did get White, I'd hope the reasoning would be releasing Kiko after the season, sliding Baker into his spot, moving Kwon to SAM, and putting the rook in the middle. That would make a ton of sense. I don't trust Kiko to have another plus, healthy season and this is the year to get out of that contract. He's just too limited for me.

There are DTs and DEs in this draft that will be absolute difference makers so I'm hoping for a Rd1 & 2 combo there ... unless someone falls they can't afford to pass up. The Dolphins have to start taking advantage of what the draft has to offer ... and those two positions are huge needs and heavy in this draft. I'd be a little upset if they went late again on both. Plus I don't like the upside of either of those DEs, although Ledbetter in the 7th looks like good value. Big pass on the old guy.

Florida WRs are hard to project because they haven't had a QB for a decade but no way Cleveland lasts til the 6th unless something crazy happens between now and then. I'm thinking 4th rd latest. I'd take him on this team ... good size, speed, and hands. Looks to be a well rounded player with big upside.

Pretty decent for this early.

Last edited:
If we did get White, I'd hope the reasoning would be releasing Kiko after the season, sliding Baker into his spot, moving Kwon to SAM, and putting the rook in the middle. That would make a ton of sense. I don't trust Kiko to have another plus, healthy season and this is the year to get out of that contract. He's just too limited for me.

There are DTs and DEs in this draft that will be absolute difference makers so I'm hoping for a Rd1 & 2 combo there ... unless someone falls they can't afford to pass up. The Dolphins have to start taking advantage of what the draft has to offer ... and those two positions are huge needs and heavy in this draft. I'd be a little upset if they went late again on both. Plus I don't like the upside of either of those DEs, although Ledbetter in the 7th looks like good value. Big pass on the old guy.

Florida WRs are hard to project because they haven't had a QB for a decade but no way Cleveland last til the 6th unless something crazy happens between now and then. I'm thinking 4th rd latest. I'd take him on this team ... good size, speed, and hands. Looks to be a well rounded player with big upside.

Pretty decent for this early.
That's kind of my thought with White. I like the year Alonso is having, but still don't view him long-term. McMillan looks more like a back-up unless he develops a little more in pass coverage, which I don't discount.

Devin White is a better linebacker than Raekwon McMillian even if he's healthy and lives up to his potential. You don't pass up players like this outside of the top 12-15 picks. You will regret it.

However, I believe he's best as a run and chase WILL in an even front defense. If you're going to utilize a contain scheme up front that leaves massive holes in the C gaps, White is the type of sideline to sideline linebacker that can get to those gaps on the edge and fill em.

If he lasts longer than picks 12-15 in this draft somebody is stealing him.

No time to watch Ryan Finley play but I’ve heard arm strength is a big issue?

I like the Devin White pick in round 1 or a DT like the Mississippi st kid
I like
Elgton Jenkins, C, Mississippi State
In round 2 I think we need to wait for the 2020 qb’s
Round 3 a guard maybe one of the Wisconsin guys or Jordan from Ohio state

2 things, 1) I believe Kirk Cousins was drafted in the 4th round? 2) Not sure Kiko's contract is cuttable until after 2019? This is not the draft to select a QB, unless it's a 4th-7th round selection. Too many highly regarded defensive players, who may be able to start day 1, are potentially going to make up the majority of the top rounds.

Love the Devin White pick.
I think that tge defensive side of the ball is so loaded top talent is bound to slide in to round two as well....
Guys like
Jerry Tillery, Zach Allen, Christian Wilkins, Dexter Lawrence, or Brian Burns could slip to round 2..
Devin White with any of these guys could really help our Defense cuz Raekwon McMillian looks absolutely lost.

I don’t see Zach Allen slipping to round 2 at all.

Love the Devin White pick.
I think that tge defensive side of the ball is so loaded top talent is bound to slide in to round two as well....
Guys like
Jerry Tillery, Zach Allen, Christian Wilkins, Dexter Lawrence, or Brian Burns could slip to round 2..
Devin White with any of these guys could really help our Defense cuz Raekwon McMillian looks absolutely lost.
I was trying to count how many DT's could go in the first round. That's such a talented group. The pass rushing DE's are always more challenging for me, but I agree there will be some nice talent in round two. Would love to see Miami go back-to-back defense.

No time to watch Ryan Finley play but I’ve heard arm strength is a big issue?
I would differ to others, but to me his arm strength looks to be adequate. Better than Chad Pennington, maybe more like Kirk Cousins. I thought Cousins was more impressive overall in college, but that seems like a decent comparison, in terms of accuracy, movement. Apparently, Finley has all the intangibles you look for and that matters at the quarterback position.

I do expect the Dolphins to swing for a quarterback, but they could always get a veteran instead and wait until 2020.

I don’t see Zach Allen testing all that well as a de at 285

Probably a lot like a base strong side de

Last edited by a moderator:
I would differ to others, but to me his arm strength looks to be adequate. Better than Chad Pennington, maybe more like Kirk Cousins. I thought Cousins was more impressive overall in college, but that seems like a decent comparison, in terms of accuracy, movement. Apparently, Finley has all the intangibles you look for and that matters at the quarterback position.

I do expect the Dolphins to swing for a quarterback, but they could always get a veteran instead and wait until 2020.

There’s an opposite hash back shoulder td throw from finley that will have you questioning arm concerns. Was it a rope no but that’s about as difficult a throw as it gets and it wasn’t some floater

There’s an opposite hash back shoulder td throw from finley that will have you questioning arm concerns. Was it a rope no but that’s about as difficult a throw as it gets and it wasn’t some floater
I do like him, especially if you can get him in the 2nd round range. I look at Brady coming out and his arm was a question, but he improved in that respect over the years and, obviously, has some of the best ball placement skills in the NFL.

Back
Top Bottom