New Roughing The Passer Rule | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

New Roughing The Passer Rule

bradmcnutt13

Active Roster
Reaction score
The defender lands “with all or most of the defender’s weight” on the passer. This has been called on Clay Matthews two weeks in a row and Arians said that Hayes should have been called for it as well. I have no idea what a defender is supposed to do. He's tackling the qb from the front; of course he goes to land on the qb. This is such a terrible rule and bound to be rescinded.

The horrible part about this is, NO ONE KNOWS. If the NFLs #1 priority is to protect the players, you would think the NFL would do a massive education for the players on what they want. Its like you sitting at the table eating and your dad keeps smacking the fork out of your hand because he wants you to eat differently, but he never tells you how you're suppose to eat.

This is not an exaggeration: It really has taken some of the joy out of the game for me. I legit can not get excited or pumped for a sack anymore, because I expect a flag everytime....

The defender lands “with all or most of the defender’s weight” on the passer. This has been called on Clay Matthews two weeks in a row and Arians said that Hayes should have been called for it as well. I have no idea what a defender is supposed to do. He's tackling the qb from the front; of course he goes to land on the qb. This is such a terrible rule and bound to be rescinded.
In all honesty I never ever heard that argument before. It was a picture perfect tackle. When a player tackles from the front your body naturally is on top of the player you just tackled. You can't even avoid that.

I think they should have just left the rule at "don't drive him into the ground."

Absolutely. Form tackles should not be penalized. I know it's more difficult for the refs to identify the nuance, but we need this.

Related: Whenever I hear a DB cry about the league "forcing" him to take out a WR's knees, I want to scream. It's as if DBs don't see the huge space between the neck and the knees. Just hit them in the sweet spot, and hit them hard. So now when someone like Matthews comes in with a great tackle in the sweet spot, he's penalized? Garbage.

Last edited:
In all honesty I never ever heard that argument before. It was a picture perfect tackle. When a player tackles from the front your body naturally is on top of the player you just tackled. You can't even avoid that.

Exactly. That's hard enough to stop your body weight as an average man. But these guys, lineman or linebackers are 250+ lbs, and moving like gazelles. That's a lot of mass combined with velocity to just plant and stop one's momentum at a time like that especially when gravity is already set to take over. To do so, caused a player to have to plant hard and could make their legs go at an akward angle, thus injury. Not good.

Shout out to Aaron Rodgers for being a fragile little **** who gets his bones broken too easily and ruining football.

It's absurd watching this game tonight.

Shout out to Aaron Rodgers for being a fragile little **** who gets his bones broken too easily and ruining football.

It's absurd watching this game tonight.

Don’t drive him to the ground, like you said would have been fine, this is getting ridiculous

This Steelers- Bucs game is nearly unwatchable. There have been 3 or 4 RTP’s called in the second quarter alone. Listening to sports radio today, it sounds like there is starting to be a counter philosophy developing as a consequence of this rule. Some players are saying that if there is no way to sack the QB without getting penalized, they will just ignore the rule and hit as hard as they can. At least then, they might be exchanging a penalty for a backup QB.

I suspect this rule will either need to be dropped completely, or will have to be enforced by fines or ejections soon.

Okay, so tell me what you guys think of my brilliant new offensive strategy for when Miami is struggling to move the football:

You sub in Brock Osweiler at quarterback and you call a pass play on every offensive down. You instruct Osweiler to just throw uncatchable footballs and let one pass rusher free on every play. Boom! Instant offense via penalties.

We got 4 quarterbacks on the roster, why not take advantage?

Okay, so tell me what you guys think of my brilliant new offensive strategy for when Miami is struggling to move the football:

You sub in Brock Osweiler at quarterback and you call a pass play on every offensive down. You instruct Osweiler to just throw uncatchable footballs and let one pass rusher free on every play. Boom! Instant offense via penalties.

We got 4 quarterbacks on the roster, why not take advantage?

I don't think you need to"instruct him" to do that. Just tell him to throw it, the uncatchable part will happen naturally.

Why isn't there a rule that the QB can't run beyond the line of scrimmage? There are some big guys out there, and said QB could be injured if one of them hits him to hard! Player safety, ya know.

This officiating is ruining the games for me. I thought the Raider game was bad until last night's Steelers/Bucs game. Flags everywhere! Refs have been bad for a few seasons now but this year it's at an all-time low. They are dictating the outcome of these games.

Back
Top Bottom