New theory on the top pick (from a Niners' fan) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

New theory on the top pick (from a Niners' fan)

If they were smart they would select Edwards...and pick up a QB later....but don't tell them.

wow, another Niner fan on here. I personally feel were drafting Alex Smith btw.

Samphin said:
I still think this last minute switch is nothing more than to try and take the power away from Miami. San Fran will pick Rodgers if they stay at the first spot.

Samphin has hit the nail on the head. The 9ers are being a bunch of drama queens, wanting the attention and not liking the fact that everyone is talking about what the Dolphins will do more than what they will do. They will put on this dog-and-pony show of Smith, Edwards, whoever else until Saturday morning and make their decision pretty much on the spot if there is not a trade. I think they draft Rodgers.They are NOT "moving on past Rodgers" by bringing in Smith, they will run guys through there to keep everyone guessing.

fishypete said:
If they were smart they would select Edwards...and pick up a QB later....but don't tell them.

Hope they're not 'smart'. I would like for the phins to select Edwards..... or trade for Minny's two first picks and pick up some more playa's...

I think teams are waiting to see what players get drafted because I think teams like Tampa Bay and Minny and whoever wants to trade up just want one player and when that player is drafted they will trade for him.(Braylon Edwards and Alex Smith etc)

Please......... if Miami was in SF's position you all would not be saying what you are saying about the 49ers. All they're doing is due dilligence. If they announce their intentions now, it kills any chance of a trade if that's what they prefer.

FWIW, Sal Paolantonio, according to league sources, said the 49ers have or will enter exclusive negotiations with Alex Smith.

The Niners will take Smith, or trade with Tampa and take Rodgers at #5.

Either way, we will trade with Minny and they will draft Edwards. I'm just not sure what we will get from Minny to make the trade. Will it be their two #1s, or will we get their top pick and then their second and third?

49ersFan said:
Please......... if Miami was in SF's position you all would not be saying what you are saying about the 49ers. All they're doing is due dilligence. If they announce their intentions now, it kills any chance of a trade if that's what they prefer.

FWIW, Sal Paolantonio, according to league sources, said the 49ers have or will enter exclusive negotiations with Alex Smith.

Let em have their pick of either QB. I say we serve our needs better by selecting Edwards....

#1 $ is the problem for the Niners

No matter what the Niners say, no one is worth #1 $ this year. That's why they want to trade down. The problem is that no one wants to be #1 and have to pay #1 $. Miami and Cleveland on the other hand do not have that burden to bear and are much better trade down candidates. I am certain that the Dolphins will take the most coveted or BPA, who is Edwards, and then trade him to either the Vikings or the Bucs for multi-picks. Nolan can try to act coy but he has been looking at QB all along until Miami started stealing his thunder, and all of the interest from other NFL teams. Maybe I am dead wrong but it just seems so obvious that our pick will be Edwards and then trade down.

Edwards being on the board at #2 is the best outcome for the Fins.

Probably nets us the most in a trade, in my opinion.

finsnchips said:
Antrel Rolle is a helluva player...

I love those Miami DB/S's. They always seem to turn into studs....

49ersFan said:
Let me 1st say, that if the 49ers remain at #1, I believe they will take Alex Smith.

I also believe Miami and Tampa's interest in Alex Smith is feign (or fake if I didn't use the correct term).

I don't buy the notion that the 49ers are undecided (VP of player personnel Scot McCloughan was quoted as saying "I have no clue who coach Nolan wants to draft").

I think the reason the 49ers have been secretive and haven't let the cat out the bag is that they are holding out the hope that they can trade down.

It appears that Smith and Braylon Edwards and possibly Mike Williams are emerging as the prospects worth trading up for.

The 49ers have come out and said that they are receiving trade offers for the #1 pick from many teams (in the top 10) for Smith, Edwards, and one of the RBs-believed to be Cedric Benson.

If Smith goes at #1 to another team it is presumed the 49ers could trade down and still get Rodgers.

No. I think it's Antrel Rolle.

Nolan is a defensive guy. Aside from John Elway, he won without a "franchise" QB in New York (both the Giants and Jets), and Baltimore. The 49ers have liked Rolle for a long time. They scouted him extensively during the college football season, and Nolan sees him as an Ed Reed/Ray Lewis type in terms of talent and leadership. He was also one of the four players the 49ers brought in town for private workouts and pre-draft meetings. McCloughan said there isn't alot separating the QBs in this draft (I know the 49ers like Campbell and Orton).

The 49ers are also moving Mike Rumph to safety.

While the team seems destined for a QB, I think Nolan would prefer to trade down and draft Rolle.

You heard it from me 1st (of course this means **** if they sign one of the 3 they are currently negotiating with).
If they trade down I agree 100%. I think if Nolan had it his way he would draft Rolle with the first overall pick, but obviously can't with the pressure of rebuilding. I have heard him talk about Rolle, and you can tell he has a hederosexual crush on the guy. He said something like "He reminds me of Ed Reed alot and you know how much I like Ed Reed." I actually don't think the Reed comparisons are that far off.

dolphinheel said:
No matter what the Niners say, no one is worth #1 $ this year. That's why they want to trade down. The problem is that no one wants to be #1 and have to pay #1 $. Miami and Cleveland on the other hand do not have that burden to bear and are much better trade down candidates. I am certain that the Dolphins will take the most coveted or BPA, who is Edwards, and then trade him to either the Vikings or the Bucs for multi-picks. Nolan can try to act coy but he has been looking at QB all along until Miami started stealing his thunder, and all of the interest from other NFL teams. Maybe I am dead wrong but it just seems so obvious that our pick will be Edwards and then trade down.

this is what ive been saying all along. San Fran is in a worse possition @ 1. No NFL teams are jumping on trading with san fran because they dont think paying Alex Smith or anyone else for that matter will be worth it due to the high cost of a number 1 pick. Then the 9ers have Rodgers, a local star whos willing to play for a discount. It would be stupid for the 9ers to take smith unless they really feel he is that much better than Rodgers(in which case, why even think about taking Rodgers 1st?). If the 9ers think smith is there guy then they should take him. But If i were them I would take rodgers due to the fact that they will have huge cap room to make their team better compared to having a pricey Alex Smith as their #1 who could end up being not any better than Rodgers in the NFL(Qbs are risky early in the draft, just a fact). This is what brought Miami to being in a possition of power over other NFL teams, everyone knows that if San Fran has 1 brain in its front office they will take a QB and most NFL teams dont think QB is the strongest tip of the draft.(hence Braylon Edwards hoo-ha). San Fran will take their local boy at 1, being quiet up untill draft day.

Back
Top Bottom