NEWS FLASH - The NFL is a Business!!! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NEWS FLASH - The NFL is a Business!!!

NJ_Fin_Fan

Living the Dream
Reaction score
Sadly, many people don't understand this.

It seems that some fans feel as if they are in some sort of relationship with players (especially Ricky Williams). I say this, because I've read about 1,000 different posts whining about how "he left us", "he's coming back for the money, not because he wants to play for us", and "he doesn't come to visit me and his son/daughter anymore". (That last one was a joke, but you get the idea.)

Saban is being criticized for making decisions with his mind, while others would (erroneously) make them with their emotions. He's pulling in extreme talent at minimal financial risk (typically vet. min.) and, more importantly, not placing that talent at the crux of the team's success (aka. pulling a Wannstedt).

I admit, this thread was mainly influenced by Ricky topics, but it is not limited to him... it relates to all players. For example, David Boston and Abram Elam. We only know what we've heard in the media... Saban has a lot more information on their situations; therefore he's in a much better situation to make the proper choice.

Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion, but I ask that we all make the distinction between logic and emotion.

NJ_Fin_Fan said:
Sadly, many people don't understand this.

It seems that some fans feel as if they are in some sort of relationship with players (especially Ricky Williams). I say this, because I've read about 1,000 different posts whining about how "he left us", "he's coming back for the money, not because he wants to play for us", and "he doesn't come to visit me and his son/daughter anymore". (That last one was a joke, but you get the idea.)

Saban is being criticized for making decisions with his mind, while others would (erroneously) make them with their emotions. He's pulling in extreme talent at minimal financial risk (typically vet. min.) and, more importantly, not placing that talent at the crux of the team's success (aka. pulling a Wannstedt).

I admit, this thread was mainly influenced by Ricky topics, but it is not limited to him... it relates to all players. For example, David Boston and Abram Elam. We only know what we've heard in the media... Saban has a lot more information on their situations; therefore he's in a much better situation to make the proper choice.

Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion, but I ask that we all make the distinction between logic and emotion.

I do have to say I agree with you 100%. Thing is I think alot of the older fans remember a day when most of the players played for the love of the game and had a certain amount of loyalty to their team. Great teams were built when players stuck together and played as a team. Unfortunely it isn't like that anymore. We have players like TO who signs a contract and now disagrees with that contract and wants more money. True it may be but that doesn't mean we have to like it.

SleepWithDaFish said:
I do have to say I agree with you 100%. Thing is I think alot of the older fans remember a day when most of the players played for the love of the game and had a certain amount of loyalty to their team. Great teams were built when players stuck together and played as a team. Unfortunely it isn't like that anymore. We have players like TO who signs a contract and now disagrees with that contract and wants more money. True it may be but that doesn't mean we have to like it.

It would be great if it were still like that, but with the salary cap and the overall mentality/greed of people today, you're right... it just isn't like that anymore.

I agree.

We should also consider that it is a business unlike most others. As patrons, we have an unusually high emotional investment. We ride high with a win, and sink low with a loss. When a fan of another team says something disrespectful about our team, it usually stirs an emotional response. Players also stir up our emotions. It should come as little surprise that the events surrounding Williams' retirement and return also stir up our emotions.

Back
Top Bottom