News out of Kansas City on Surtain | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

News out of Kansas City on Surtain

PROUDMONKEY said:
If I remember correctly, PAt Surtain is a top CB in the NFL. We wont find his replacement in this draft. Hopefully we can rework some other players numbers and keep the guy. Outside an injury slowing him down, his wheels still have 5 good years on them. We are better with him than without.
WRONG....we need draft picks. He wants way too much cash! We Would have a real hard time signing our draft picks if we don't get rid of him. look at the situation realistically.;)

This is probably why Spielman is still gone come May or June.

IMO he stays
Seems like KC isn't willing to spend the cash or the pick to get him.
I agree with everyone else - love the guy but way to much $

Conventional wisdom says that if KC can get Carlos Rogers with their 1st-round pick, the Surtain deal is dead. If someone else grabs Rogers before KC picks ...

A lot can happen in a year. If we can't get value with a trade, then I say we keep him. Next year, we can franchise him. Yeah, this will cost a lot of money, but there may also be other options.

Maybe by then his salary demands come down and we can afford him. If he has a bad year or is injured, maybe we can sign him to an incentive-laiden contract. The point is that so many things can happen between now and next year that may work in our favor with respect to salary demands, cap figure, etc.

Bottom line to me is ... trade him if we can get value (value = 2nd rounder and at least 3rd rounder this year). If no trade, then keep him. Come February '06, we'll figure out what we have to do/can do with him for future years.

It would be nice to keep him and see what happens next year, but we can't afford to sign this years draft picks unless we trade or release Pat. We've already reworked the contracts that would help and there really isn't any other players to release that would give us that much space. That's why K.C. is stalling, they know we are up against the wall.

mugen said:
It would be nice to keep him and see what happens next year, but we can't afford to sign this years draft picks unless we trade or release Pat.

i see what u mean...but look at the DEPTH we have at RB, possibly QB after the draft, O-line, and LB. We have TOO MANY of them. If we draft Ronnie Brown, we can immediately cut/release 2-3 of our backs...if we draft Alex Smith we can immediately cut/release Sage. If we draft a big name O-lineman, we can cut/release a few of our UN-blocking-ful O-lineman. If we draft a good linebacker, we can cut/release Eddie Moore and another guy. I think we should desperately get a trade done with Surtain mainly because we have Will Poole who is a solid CB. SOMEBODY out there must want Patrick Surtain...Arizona, seeing as how they are totally building their defense, could use him. Possibly a straight up swap with L.J. Shelton and Pat Surtain. Or they can give us their 2nd rounder.....if we keep Surtain, thats fine too. He's still a darn good player.

And tie up about $18M in our 2 corners. Surtain is as good as gone, because that's never going to happen.

Too bad the Chiefs couldn't work this thing out....it would have helped both teams.:shakeno:

J Criner of the chiefs said on British Tv they had struck a deal with Pat but Dolphins and Chiefs were way off with value of him--basically he say Dolphins want too much

ItalianDolFan said:
...i still think its dumb how Oakland got a 2nd AND 3rd for Buchanan, and we cant even get a 2nd for Surtain:D

Low cap # salary of $800,000 USD has 2 years on his contract still.....

surtain is on final year and wants $$$$

thats why....

Al Davis

If Peterson does not make this deal for I have a feeling his nemesis in Oakland, and our former OC Turner will make a deal for Surtain.
They now have two 2's and two 3's and may trade Woodson as well.
If Peterson doesn't want to give up pick #46 I'll take #38 or #47 from the Raidas.
What do you think?

Hisn'WithYour'n said:
If Peterson does not make this deal for I have a feeling his nemesis in Oakland, and our former OC Turner will make a deal for Surtain.
They now have two 2's and two 3's and may trade Woodson as well.
If Peterson doesn't want to give up pick #46 I'll take #38 or #47 from the Raidas.
What do you think?
The problem is that oakland could never come close to the salary cap room they would need for Pat. I really believe it's KC or we keep him for another year. Just like the draft, either way we will win this one.

mugen said:
It would be nice to keep him and see what happens next year, but we can't afford to sign this years draft picks unless we trade or release Pat. We've already reworked the contracts that would help and there really isn't any other players to release that would give us that much space. That's why K.C. is stalling, they know we are up against the wall.

Cutting D Thompson and D Bowens would give us enough to sign our 1st rounder at #2, the rest of our picks are waaayyy cheap to even bother.

Back
Top Bottom