Newson lightin' 'em up | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Newson lightin' 'em up

DannyNoonan

Practice Squad
Reaction score
AMSTERDAM, Netherlands (AP) -- Kendall Newson returned a kickoff 94 yards for a touchdown and added another score as the Rhein Fire beat the Amsterdam Admirals 34-27 Saturday in NFL Europe.

The Admirals (2-4) had a chance to tie the game with a first-and-goal from the 3-yard line but failed to score in four attempts.

Newson also scored on a 30-yard touchdown pass from Chris Greisen. Newson gained 244 all-purpose yards for the Fire (4-2).

He could end up producing what we wanted out of Sam Simmons--a 5th WR who can be a solid weapon as a KR/PR.

Well we already have our return man, so Newson is gonna have to show he can catch in camp.

I'm comfortable with this..
1-Chambers
2-McKnight
3-Thompson
4-Tolver
5-Rogers

But this could go down too..
1-Chambers
2-McKnight
3-Thompson
4-Tolver
5-Newson/Baker/Simmons/Bellamy/Jackson(if signed)
6-Rogers

Damn, that puts right back in front of Baker. He's proven he can be consistent with kick returns and he can be explosive. He's also proven he can be very explosive and he can SCORE catching the ball.

Up until recently Baker was just showing that he can be a consistent target at WR but he hasn't scored yet. Then he started returning some kicks for a 28 yard average which was good, and his 7.8 pr average isnt TERRIBLE (aint so good either).

But to date, Baker has NO touchdowns, Newson has like 4 or 5. I think that will make the difference when it comes to making this team.

Here's to a WR corp that includes Chambers, McKnight, Thompson, Tolver, Newson, and Rogers.

Rogers or no Rogers, on this team the 4th and 5th spots have to be guys who can contribute on special teams in some fashion.

Charlie Rogers is not guaranteed to make this team, though we figure him to be. Remember, returners tend to be guys you find, not guys you sign. If Newson bottom line heads into camp and proves that he can make good decisions in terms of catching the ball and touchbacks and fair catches, and not fumbling well...the guy could win the job. Its not inconceivable.

Either way even if Rogers makes it, its always a plus to have another guy on the roster than can return well.

To me Baker just seems like a guy who is almost too good at receiving the ball for the spot he is trying out for. Your 4th or 5th guy is a guy who should be developing because he's not going to be getting much playing time, a guy who has something to offer to the team in the meantime like return abilities. A young guy. Newson right now has potential, return abilities, speed, and the ability to score.

Baker is a known commodity. For that reason I think Newson has the edge.

but just after we thought that newson is ahead, robert baker also caught 43 yarder for a score last night, was his only catch though, but at least we have something going here in europe

irvin was no factor last night in berlins win:

S.Irvin 11 18 1.6 12 0
so 11 rushing attempts for 18 yards and his longest run was for 12 yards, that means he ran 10 times for 6 yards....

matthew hatchette is the guy who is lighting it up for the 2nd week in a row

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by ChambersOwnz84
Well we already have our return man, so Newson is gonna have to show he can catch in camp.

I'm comfortable with this..
1-Chambers
2-McKnight
3-Thompson
4-Tolver
5-Rogers

But this could go down too..
1-Chambers
2-McKnight
3-Thompson
4-Tolver
5-Newson/Baker/Simmons/Bellamy/Jackson(if signed)
6-Rogers
Thompson will start ahead of mcknight. hes gonna be a stud WR.

I would be very happy with....
1- Chambers
2- Thompson
3- McKnight
4- Tolver
5- Newson/ Baker
6- Baker/ Rogers

Yeah thats one reason to be wary of guys who are lighting it up in NFL Europe. Matt Hatchette is doing real well over there and we all know what he's done in the NFL with the Jets and Vikes.

I just think even with Baker's 43 yard score, Newson is making a whole lot more big time plays over there consistently.

Well if you had to pick, who would you take? Baker or Simmons?

I don't think Rogers is a lock to make the team and I'll reserve my comments on Newson until I see him play in training camp.I would like to see Baker as the fifth receiver.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by IceStorm
Well if you had to pick, who would you take? Baker or Simmons?

I would take Baker. I don't know much about Simmons though, but I do know a little bit about Baker. Simmons ran a 4.49 last season while Baker ran about a 4.6 (couldn't find). Sam Simmons is a lot smaller than Baker (Simmons is 5'9''1/2, 198lbs and Baker is 5'11'', 200lbs). I have never saw Simmons play, but Baker is probablt better anyway. I like what I saw from Baker in the preseason.

Originally posted by Flipper34
Thompson will start ahead of mcknight. hes gonna be a stud WR.

He WILL? Are the pads on yet? Can't really say that a guy who is the number 3 now WILL start over McKnight..

I THINK he should, but you can't call Thompson a stud yet..

Originally posted by ChambersOwnz84

He WILL? Are the pads on yet? Can't really say that a guy who is the number 3 now WILL start over McKnight..

I THINK he should, but you can't call Thompson a stud yet..

Very true. However, I think that it may be a safer bet to assume that Thompson (a guy who out produced every Miami reciever last year) may get to start...than assuming that Sam Simmons (who has yet to play) or JR Tolver (yet to put pads on) will make the team.

Simmons is bigger than Baker. He's shorter than Baker, but he's bigger physically.

He's absolutely ripped and is extremely strong. I'm 180lbs and I'm bigger than alot of people 200 lbs muscle wise.

There is a difference in size that isn't listed in someone's weight.

Back
Top Bottom