Next Offseason....THE DECISION | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Next Offseason....THE DECISION

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
Just in case nobody thought about it, with this contract we've set ourselves up for a big decision next year I think.

Right now we have two quarterbacks on the roster, one of them will start (Fiedler ostensibly) and they both have relatively small cap figures.

But next year, the contract values of BOTH quarterbacks balloons significantly, both I believe up to around $5 to $6 million.

This means we'll have a decision to make next year. One stays, one goes. And don't think its automatic that Fiedler is the one staying and Griese is the one going cuz it will all depend on what happens this year. As much as Wannstedt is on the hot seat this seat, so is Fiedler.

Only fitting that the two are tied to each other since Fiedler is regarded by many (misguidedly in my opinion) as Wannstedt's boy. But here's the rub, if we don't make the make the playoffs this year, both Wannstedt AND Fiedler will be gone and it will likely be Fiedler who is sent his walking papers.

I regard the chance of that happening though as NOT very high at all, but then again who thought it possible last year?

Even if we make the playoffs, a typical Miami December followed by a first or second round exit, may also mean both Wannstedt and Fiedler get handed their walking papers. And it stands to reason, Fiedler will have had 4 years with talented teams to get something impressive done and if he could not, whether it be cuz he's always injured or whatEVER, could be time to part ways.

Nonetheless it could be exciting counting down and seeing which guy the coaches are gonna cut and which one they are going to keep or re-negotiate.

why are we talking about this now? we've already established that if we repeat this past year some heads are gonna roll, and fiedler will be gone. And whoever miami feels was the better contributor based on this past season will remain.

Lets see what happens before we talk about what will happen a year from now.

It's not the only one either. Decisions on Knight, Seau, Bowens and Marion have to be made not to mention the outright cutting of a few vets like Ruddy, Perry.

It's also very possible that BOTH Fiedler and Griese are let go next year.

AFC championship and over 85 WB rating means Fiedler stays simple as that. If McKnight , Ruddy, and Perry are cut you have got 5.5m right there.

i know some will say your jumping the gun, i'll let next off season arrive befor i give it to much thought. but your post is well crafted and has valid points it is going to be interesting to see how fo makes key decisions next yr, they've made good calls the last few yr's . i think next yr wont be different. peace

Let's get to this season first huh guys...

Originally posted by Prime Time
Let's get to this season first huh guys...

Exactly.......

Originally posted by ckparrothead

. And it stands to reason, Fiedler will have had 4 years with talented teams to get something impressive done and if he could not, whether it be cuz he's always injured or whatEVER, could be time to part ways.

I wouldn't call first two years talented team on offense.Last year was the most complete Dolphins team in the past five years but we know what happen.

I'm not gonna start to worry about 2004 just yet. Lets win the damn superbowl this year and then we'll worry about 2004 when the time comes.

Pretty good analysis CK. Ever since Fiedler signed his present contract, unless the team wins the Super Bowl, and he makes the Pro Bowl, I have felt that he will be dropped prior to the 2004 roster bonus comes due.

Originally posted by Muck
It's also very possible that BOTH Fiedler and Griese are let go next year.

and Dungystedt's job isn't all that secure... If we fail AGAIN, he might be packing up his stuff... Pressure all around, he'd better find a way to win in December AND January...

i thought when jay signed his contract he was setting himself up to be cut. now i hear brian's second year contract numbers and i am just shacking my head.

Great Points CK, BUT....

The Oakland Raiders have proven that the Salary CAp is easily manipulated.

Miami Next year gets 6.9 mill relief from the end of the "puddings" contract, while a lot of these guys are here for restructure.

This year we have everyone under contract for a run. If we make it then we may start rebuilding (ala Baltimore) or try to hold as much of it together (ala TB). 2 years from now we are in deep trouble.

This Greise/Fiedler Contract Balloning Is more about when sage is ready to be a #2. That is more next year than this.

Gator.

Back
Top Bottom