Next Year's First Rounder | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Next Year's First Rounder

Little Danny

Tom Nomina
Reaction score
With the depth in the draft this year does anyone think we'll trade next year's 1st rounder for a 2nd rounder this year?

We've done it before. I think if a player we are high on is sitting there 10 picks into the 2nd round Rick might pull a JJ and make a big move.

I'm not a fan of this tactic myself but I could see it happening.

I'm not a fan of it either,but i could also see it happening.

No way. We already don't have a 2nd round pick and now you guys wanna trade our 1st round pick too?We don't need 13 new players this year. All we need is 3 or 4 and we'll be fine imo.

Ozzy rules!!

Danny, where did anyone say they wanted to trade the pick? Did you read the post or just get a few lines regarding next years' first and reach for the reply button as fast possible?

I was going to start a thread on this as well. You can't really tell for sure about next years' class because of the early entry rule now, but that draft looks very weak compared to this draft at this point.

I would have no problems doing something like Balt. did if a player we want bad enough is sitting there. Getting a Shawn Andrews, Lee Evans and still keeping O-Gun sounds like a good upgrade to the team to me.

Of course, that year we had to wait all night to hear the name....Seth McKinney was just a truly bad day for me (especially since we should have taken Terrence Metcalf)

I dont think you trade away our first for next year. Like another person said we already dont have a 2nd pick and if we give a number 1 we will really be hurting if we have a need next year.

BTW, Baltimore got their QB and now they dont have a 1st to pick up a WR which they need BADLY and is the strength in this draft. Their first pick is 51st overall and I dont know how many quality recievers will be there at that piont. But you know the fans wish they had that pick for this years draft to get a quality reciever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why? They got their QB, and if the NFL hadn't screwed them they would have had their WR. The Balt. FO played that whole scenario perfectly and just got screwed because the NFL caved.

Balt. then didn't have anyone left to go after because they were already picked up when Balt. was sitting there thinking they had TO. They would have re-signed Robinson, then drafted a WR with their 2nd and been perfectly fine in that situation IMO.

First, MBMonk I love that .gif (The Office is a great show).

Second... we could get Andrews at #20, Grove in the 2nd round, and Snee in the 3rd!!! Whoooohoooo ;)

No way we'd go 3 OL in that scenario. We'd know already that the next year we'd be staring at one first day pick.

This defense would be a year older and slower with one first day pick to rebuild it.

I honestly believe we'll only spend one pick that is worth anything on an OL. (We may pick up a 6th or 7th rd G ot T with potential.)

Only if someone was available that was worth it.

ie if we didn't go Oline in r.1 and Grove and/or Carey was available.

But we don't have a second next year/

You know, since somebody mentioned Baltimore, let's throw this out:

One of the nightmare situations play out. The best guy on the board is a WR that is attracting Baltimore's attention. They offer their 2nd and next year's 1st for our first rounder. How do you guys feel about that play? If we're really not going to make use of 3 WR sets and we pretty much have to keep DT, could this be a nice play to get a guard with potential to at least rotate in as well as set us up nicely for next year when we may well need to be looking for DT/DE/LB due to Wale/TimBo/Seau possibly going places?

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by PhinsmissedFG
Danny, where did anyone say they wanted to trade the pick? Did you read the post or just get a few lines regarding next years' first and reach for the reply button as fast possible?

I was going to start a thread on this as well. You can't really tell for sure about next years' class because of the early entry rule now, but that draft looks very weak compared to this draft at this point.

I would have no problems doing something like Balt. did if a player we want bad enough is sitting there. Getting a Shawn Andrews, Lee Evans and still keeping O-Gun sounds like a good upgrade to the team to me.

Of course, that year we had to wait all night to hear the name....Seth McKinney was just a truly bad day for me (especially since we should have taken Terrence Metcalf)
I understand what you're saying and next year's draft goes 2 ways. Let me explain. If next year's draft is weak then I understand you wanting to get a player now but at the same time, this is a deep draft so we can get good players in the later rounds. If next year's draft is really weak, then I'd rather have my 1st round pick so I can at least get a good talent there.By giving up our 1st round pick and already not having a 2nd, we could set ourselfs for not having a draft at all next year and in today's NFL you need to have young players every single year coming in to replace the older guys that you can't afford. That's why I don't wanna be with only our 3rd round pick.

Ozzy rules!!

Originally posted by Danny
No way. We already don't have a 2nd round pick and now you guys wanna trade our 1st round pick too?We don't need 13 new players this year. All we need is 3 or 4 and we'll be fine imo.

Ozzy rules!!

I believe my post specifically said that I didn't like the idea but could see it happening. I don't mind people putting words in my mouth if they bother to get the right ones...

Anyway - If we truely feel next year's draft will be weak and we see a guy we specifically targetted in round 1 slipping (ala Chris Chambers) then it wouldn't be a horrible idea. Heck Jimmy pulled a great move picking up Surtain in a similar situation. Still I think that was the exception not the rule.

I do disagree with the idea that you have to get a great rookie spaced out every year. If you get two this year and none next year vs one this year and one next - I see very little difference.

Back
Top Bottom