NFCE Foes for this year. O featured in this thread | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFCE Foes for this year. O featured in this thread

MDFINFAN

Reach for the Stars
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
For the 2nd part I will concentrate on the O's of the NFCE.

Again using Len Pasquarelli

For Philadelphia: Offensively, the biggest addition is fullback Jon Ritchie, who is expected to create more running room for McNabb and Duce Staley. In addition, they sought to improve their passing game by taking tight end L.J. Smith and wide receiver Wilbur McMullen Jr. in the second and third rounds of the draft, respectively. They also made a move on special teams, replacing punter Sean Landeta with Kyle Richardson. But definitely not to be overlooked, the Eagles still carry a roster of receivers that fail to strike fear in opposition. Freddie Mitchell has yet to justify his first-round selection in 2001 and they lost a valuable option in veteran Antonio Freeman. If the Eagles make any moves between now and September, this would be the projected area to upgrade. Our D will have to ready for running, I think we can handle their passing game.

For the Giants: Like the previous offseason, there was a chance the Giants offensive line would be shuffled again. But the team wasted little time in re-signing left tackle Luke Petitgout; left guard Rich Seubert garnered a contract extension; and restricted free agent center Chris Bober was tendered. The departure of Jason Whittle (Bucs) and Mike Rosenthal (Vikings) leaves the right side of the line with holes. But offensive line coach Jim McNally has shown he's one of the best in the business at molding young, unproven linemen and he'll have another chance at that with Tam Hopkins and fifth-round draft choice Dave Diehl at guard. Ian Allen is the early frontrunner at the right tackle position with last year's third-round choice Jeff Hatch thrown in the mix as well. But they still have Shockey, Ick Hillard, When Jim Fassel took over the play-calling duties from Sean Payton after Week 8, the Giants went from 12 points per game to 27. Kerry Collins led the NFC in passing yards, Tiki Barber finished the year with over 1,900 rushing and receiving yards, Amani Toomer was second in the conference in receiving yards and Jeremy Shockey, the catalyst for the offense, led all NFL tight ends in receptions and yards. Our Secondary definetly have to be on their Pees and Ques for this one..

For Washington: the second round they got a first-round talent in wideout Taylor Jacobs -- another former Florida Gator who played under Spurrier, but who could immediately become a solid third receiver. They also signed a legit No.1 receiver in Laveranues Coles, who collected over 1,200 yards with the Jets last year. Trung Canidate replaces Stephen Davis at running back -- he's a smaller, quicker runner and a much-better receiver who played behind Marshall Faulk with the Rams. Canidate has yet to live up to high expectations, but could flourish in the Fun 'n Gun. And the offensive line will be vastly improved with the addition of starting guards Randy Thomas (from the Jets) and Dave Fiore (from the 49ers). On offense, Stephen Davis was a salary-cap casualty -- but clearly wasn't a fit for Spurrier's offense anyway. His replacement, Canidate, still must prove he can succeed at the NFL level. Wideout Derrius Thompson departed for the Dolphins, but the additions of Coles and Jacobs, plus Patrick Johnson from the Jaguars, more than make up for that. The 'Skins don't have a top-of-the-line tight end, but that position isn't regularly utilized in the Fun 'n Gun. Finally, Spurrier plans on going with Patrick Ramsey, the second-year quarterback, as his full-time starter. But if he falters, his only veteran backup is the injury-prone veteran Rob Johnson. The improved offensive line needs to protect their quarterbacks much better this season.
Pass happy Spruier will keep our Secondary busy.

For Dallas:On offense, the Cowboys added a number of players who figure to crack the starting lineup. Wide receiver Terry Glenn, who had his best season in the NFL with Parcells in New England, was acquired from the Packers. Glenn will never be the same player who caught 90 passes as a rookie, but Parcells will get everything he can out of him.

Offensive tackle Ryan Young, tight end Dan Campbell and fullback Richie Anderson were all signed as free agents and are expected to start. Young should help bolster an offensive line that allowed an NFL-high 54 sacks last (second most in the NFL). JT is just licking his chops..especially since they don't have real experienced QB..The quarterback position is obviously still a concern. With youngsters Chad Hutchinson and Quincy Carter currently No. 1 and No. 2, Parcells' patience could be tried early.
The most hotly watched spot in Dallas will be at running back. After 13 years and an NFL-record 17,162 yards, Emmitt Smith was released by the Cowboys. Troy Hambrick currently has a hold of the No. 1 job, however, showing up to his first minicamp with Parcells overweight probably wasn't the best career move. Hambrick has been told to lose 10 pounds before training camp begins and you can bet if he doesn't, he'll be about as deep as you can get in Parcells' doghouse. Third-year back Michael Wiley, who was productive in limited playing time last season, will have a shot at the job if Hambrick falters. Some players the Cowboys could have their eye on include Ron Dayne and Thomas Jones if they become available and also Jamal Anderson if he can get back in playing shape.

The most dangerous O here is the Giants, with Philly a close 2nd, then Washington..

Again I think the strength of our D can handle these.

You can bet our D will have problems with McNabb just like they did Daunte Culpepper. I don't really foresee us having a problem with Kerry Collins though if Fassel is doing the play-calling that is something to be worried about because he's about as good a play-caller as Norv Turner.

Washington will have to rely on 2nd year man Patrick Ramsey and that will be a serious weakness against us. Remember, years running now we make our living victimizing young quarterbacks. It will be no different with Ramsey, Carter, or Hutchinson. I'm not going to say that I HOPE this happens but it would be somethin else if Griese got to play in the Dallas game because Parcells dissed him pretty openly saying if I wanted to be an 8-8 team I'd get Griese.

Physical, pass-catching TE's always give us problems.. Shockey and the Giants will be a tough game..

Originally posted by SkapePhin
Physical, pass-catching TE's always give us problems.. Shockey and the Giants will be a tough game..

Yea, we remember KC...ouch!

I think the Giants will be our biggest test, we might see them twice this year..

The Giants will be tough in the Meadowlands. But, Kerry Collins is not as dangerous as McNabb. He can be rattled. Philly will be tough b/c it is in December sandwiched with Buff and NE. Hopefully the home cookin' will get it done.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
You can bet our D will have problems with McNabb just like they did Daunte Culpepper. I don't really foresee us having a problem with Kerry Collins though if Fassel is doing the play-calling that is something to be worried about because he's about as good a play-caller as Norv Turner.

Washington will have to rely on 2nd year man Patrick Ramsey and that will be a serious weakness against us. Remember, years running now we make our living victimizing young quarterbacks. It will be no different with Ramsey, Carter, or Hutchinson. I'm not going to say that I HOPE this happens but it would be somethin else if Griese got to play in the Dallas game because Parcells dissed him pretty openly saying if I wanted to be an 8-8 team I'd get Griese.

We will be playing quite a few young QBs next year... Carr(Texans), (maybe) Leftwich(Jags), Boller (ravens), Ramsy (redskins), Hutchinson or Carter (dallas)...we should win all of those games...

Back
Top Bottom