NFL Approval of New Kickoff Rule | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFL Approval of New Kickoff Rule

McDaniel did not fire Crossman because he knew the Dolphins' struggles on kick/punt coverage were more of an organizational problem than a Crossman one. After 20 years in the league and with some top 10 units at other places, Crossman did not suddenly forget how to coach STs. The team did not allot enough practice time devoted to kick and punt coverage. This was reported by one of the local media writers as the staff changes were taking place. Hopefully, this means McDaniel will see to it they use more practice time on the coverage units.

I read this wrong initially and thought you said they had voted it in. Hopefully it eventually gets voted in.
That would be the worst decision ever IMO. Just because a team wants the ball they can now have it? How about in basketball we can request to take a shot from 3/4 court after a made basket? 4th and 20 is not that impossible to convert when you have a Mahomes or Brady back there with the game on the line and there are several types of penalties that gives you an automatic first down. Thank god they voted it down.

That would be the worst decision ever IMO. Just because a team wants the ball they can now have it? How about in basketball we can request to take a shot from 3/4 court after a made basket? 4th and 20 is not that impossible to convert when you have a Mahomes or Brady back there with the game on the line and there are several types of penalties that gives you an automatic first down. Thank god they voted it down.

Competitive games are good for business. We’ll just have to agree to disagree. I think the idea of a team making a comeback and getting the chance to convert a 4th and 20 is way more fascinating than attenpting an onside kick that has something like a 2% success rate.

My take on it is that if you’re a team with a 14 point lead with 3 mins to go and you give up 2 scores, allow a team to convert a 4th and 20 which leads to you eventually losing the game, you probably didn’t deserve to win anyway.

Not a huge fan of the change. Now offenses will start even further down the field. It will be easier to score which makes having a good defense even less important.

With the great speed guys we have I think it will be good for us

Hill , Waddle , Achane not opposed to using any of them if a big game is on the line

The guys coming after them will be much closer so the tackles will be less violent with less chance for injury IMO

The rule change is clearly to make kickoffs safer, defenders can’t get a full head of steam now and blindside someone. If you have guys on your roster who could house a kickoff multiple times a season with these rules then you need to give it serious consideration to put them back there.

I would bet we see 0
I bet we see mass confusion and penalties because I have no faith in Crossman setting this up properly. Quality ST coaches will take advantage but I have seen nothing by Crossman to lead me to believe he is anything but the opposite of quality. Watch. mass confusion!

As if anybody should give a hoot on another opinion.
I'm satisfied with the new rule, christ, anything was better than the "surprising" ( ya right) kick into the end zone most all the time ( zzzzzz ). Traditional version has just gotten a bit to high on the injury front, guys to big and to fast... so some change was overdue. Its a one year test so we will learn more. But happy to see that the old way was viewed as a major dud..

Oh I do see additional Ref problems.... but thats a whole other issue

Back
Top Bottom