NFL. com Fantasy Culpepper Artice. Good Read! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFL. com Fantasy Culpepper Artice. Good Read!

The_Phish

Active Roster
Reaction score
I found this article in my fantasy page so I had to post most of it and I couldn't submit a link. Sorry Mods, its short but sweet anyways.........

Daunte Culpepper stood at a podium Wednesday and smiled. The Miami Dolphins quarterback looked relaxed and confident and expressed there is no need to worry. Not about him.

Culpepper's first game with the Dolphins was flawed. He threw two fourth-quarter interceptions, the second of which was returned for a touchdown, in a 28-17 loss at Pittsburgh in the regular-season opener. He had no touchdowns and was just 18-of-37 passing for 262 yards.

It was Culpepper's first game following a major knee injury almost 10 months earlier while with Minnesota, but he was not about to make an excuse. He just wants to prove he can still be successful, which is what Fantasy owners want to hear, starting this week against Buffalo.

"For me personally, Sunday can't get here quick enough," Culpepper said. "I want to go out and play winning football. Play the way I know and love how to play."

In 2005, Culpepper was viewed as the No. 2 Fantasy quarterback prior to the season behind Indianapolis' Peyton Manning. He was coming off a stellar 2004 season with the Vikings where he passed for 4,717 yards, 39 touchdowns and 11 interceptions.

But last year started badly and ended worse when he tore three ligaments in his right knee in October. For him to be the starter for the season-opener this year was amazing, but most Fantasy owners had plenty of trepidation about how he would do.

His average draft position on CBS SportsLine was No. 54, and he was the 10th quarterback taken on average. For Week 1, he was only started in 68 percent of CBS SportsLine Fantasy leagues.

After listening to him Wednesday, Culpepper should be considered a must-start this week with Buffalo coming to town. Dolphins coach Nick Saban also is confident Culpepper will rebound with an outstanding performance.

Daunte Culpepper is getting further and further away from his stellar 2004 season. (AP)
"He's going to get more and more comfortable," Saban said. "That was his first game back. I know that he's going to improve from his first game to the second. We're certain of that, and we feel very comfortable and confident with him."

Culpepper knows there are things he needs to work on. He talked about running more instead of forcing passes into coverage, and he also wants to get the ball more to wide receiver Chris Chambers, especially early in the game.

Chambers had five catches for 59 yards, but they all came in the second half.

"I had a couple of opportunities in the second quarter to get involved," Chambers said. "They know since I've been around, when I get the ball early in my hands, I usually have a pretty good game and I'm able to make some plays."

Chambers should be able to make some plays this week against the Bills. In his last meeting against Buffalo, Chambers caught a franchise-record 15 passes for 238 yards.

You can also expect good games from running back Ronnie Brown and tight end Randy McMichael. The Bills defense is banged up and could be starting rookie safeties in Donte Whitner and Ko Simpson with Troy Vincent (hamstring) placed on injured reserve and Matt Bowen (leg) listed as questionable. Standout linebacker Takeo Spikes (hamstring) also is listed as questionable.

That could only mean good things for Culpepper and bad things for Buffalo. Bills coach Dick Jauron was asked during a conference call whether Culpepper looked like the same quarterback he schemed against while working for Chicago and Detroit in the NFC Central the previous seven seasons.

"Yeah, unfortunately it looks like he is," Jauron said. "I guess I can honestly say I wish he wasn't, but he looks awfully strong and awfully mobile and tough to play against. He always has been. He's a terrific player."

Culpepper has extra motivation this week. It's his first home game in Miami, and he wants to prove he can still be an elite quarterback.

With the Steelers game now behind him, expect a fresh start and the Culpepper of old to emerge again.

"The thing is, in this league, you've got to have a short memory," he said. "Whether you win or lose a big game, you've got to have a short memory about it and get ready for the next week. I'm definitely looking forward to it. I want to go out and play my best."

Back
Top Bottom