NFL Concussions-NFL, Union under fire for handling of claims | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFL Concussions-NFL, Union under fire for handling of claims

Fin Fan in Cali

Fins Up!
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
This is some good stuff that was in today's local paper that i thought I would share.

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/06/17/sports/professional/21_10_476_16_07.txt

FL, union under fire for handling of disability claims

By: MIKE SULLIVAN - Staff Writer It was a painful sight that occurred every time San Diego State's football team practiced during the 2005 season. Former NFL standout Ed White would spend two-plus hours coaching the team's offensive line while dealing with intense pain in his right knee and hip.

When practice concluded, there would be a cart waiting to drive White the approximately 150 yards to the building that houses the football offices.
White, who retired from the NFL in 1985 after 17 seasons, is now contemplating hip and knee replacement.
<table align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td class="photo" align="center">
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> "I'm using a cane about half the time," said the 60-year-old White, a four-time Pro Bowl offensive lineman with the Chargers and Minnesota Vikings.

Ailments that hinder athletes later in life are part of the price of being a pro football player. But many former players are claiming that the NFL and the NFL Players Association are doing too little to help those in need.

The issue has even caught the attention of Congress.

On June 26, the House Judiciary Subcommittee on Commercial and Administrative Law will conduct an oversight hearing to look into the process of how the league and the NFLPA handle disability claims.

Former North County resident Brent Boyd, who played for Minnesota from 1980-86, is one of the ex-players who has publicly expressed frustration with the process. Boyd waged a five-year fight in an attempt to receive disability payments for a football-related head injury that has left him unable to work.

The upcoming hearings should be interesting. I don't think we have a clue as to the physical costs these players endure to entertain us. It will likely also show the current players to be even greedier than we think.

It will likely also show the current players to be even greedier than we think.

:yes: IMO it should be mandated that current players give some of their monies into a fund for retired players who gave so much for the game.

Morning Pastor.

Afternoon to you, had to be at a hospital in Toledo at 6:30 this morning for a parishoner's surgery. Next person who kids me I only work one hour a week may get the alarm clock pushed....... Oh I guess not, it would'nt be pastoral!

The current players could do just that, donate a little more of their pay by an administrative vote of the union. They haven't. I think that is an obsecnity given their compensation. It isn't even enlightened self-interest in that if they establish a pattern, they would reap a benefit themselves down the road.

This needs to be seriously addressed, and stop pushing this under the carpet Upshaw. If you want to see something real sad, a couple of years ago they showed how Earl Campbell walks now. Made you want shed a tear I tell you.

I think the NFL HAS to step up to the plate.

These guys did not make the millions in most cases that todays athletes do, played in a time with inferior medical treatment, when the game was much rougher. They did all that to build the juggernaught that is today's NFL.

The NFL is a money making machine. How heartless do the higher ups have to be to not at least make sure the men who built their game and helped put those BILLIONS into their pockets can afford to go to the damn doctor?

Gene Upshaw looks like a piece of turd in all this as well. He is giving the men he played against and with the royal shaft and he should KNOW BETTER. He's nothing but an owner's puppet anyway. He has not had the interest of the players in mind since he took over as leader of the NFLPA. He's easily weakest union head in all of pro sports.

Back
Top Bottom