Nfl History - 1950s - When Football Was Football | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Nfl History - 1950s - When Football Was Football

adamprez2003

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
While we wait for preseason I thought it might be good to post a great documentary about a bygone era. I really believe half the NFL players of today wouldn't have been able to cope with the violence and toughness of this era. Brady wouldve lasted 4 games before leaving the stadium in a stretcher. Anyways, if you haven't seen this ....enjoy

Maybe the players of the 1950s were tougher, but I’d like to see how the typical NFL teams of the 1950s would react to seeing an OL composed of ox-strong 300+ pound monsters at every position. I’m thinking they wouldn’t fare that well.

Maybe the players of the 1950s were tougher, but I’d like to see how the typical NFL teams of the 1950s would react to seeing an OL composed of ox-strong 300+ pound monsters at every position. I’m thinking they wouldn’t fare that well.
whether you send the 50s guys forward in time or the current guys backward in time they would still be equal in size. if the 50s guys grew up in modern times, they would go through the same training, nutrition and weight training that today's players go through so a guy who is a natural 6'3" 270 would turn into a 6'3" 300lb player. And vice versa if you took a modern player back in time to the 50s, he wouldnt grow up with the training or nutritional diet so he would probably be 30 lbs lighter although if he was an eater and lacked the nutritional knowledge we have today he could have grown up obese and useless.

Either way overall it would be equal size basically since the main difference in size and muscle mass between then and now is the fact that the modern generation is trained from birth to be a football player and thats all they ever do while the 50s generation had to work a second job to supplement their income and only played football cause they loved the game

I'm tired of hearing how soft the players are these days. It's a good thing there is a high priority on player safety. Each and every kind of pro sports takes a massive toll on the players' bodies anyway. No need to add to that if there are ways and measures to avoid it.

Back
Top Bottom