NFL Official Rules- Need Help! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFL Official Rules- Need Help!

Fin Fan in Cali

Fins Up!
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Whats up fella's? I need some help clearing up a question, that my favorite father in law brought up to me. He is an okay Charger honk, and probably the best father in law to drink beer with. Here's the questions. It goes back to the Charger vs Jet game. My father in law was saying why didn't the Chargers try the field goal on third down, so of they missed it, they could try again on fourth down? I told him that is only in case of a bad snap. He says that they should be able to take two try's, and I say no. Then he said if they did try to kick the field goal on third down, and they missed it, then where would the ball be spotted?

My brother law, and I, believe that you can try to kick a field goal on third down, and if you mess the snap up, then you have fourth down to try again. Can you guy's let me know which way the NFL rules read! Thanks for your time!:drinkers:

here's how i understand it:

the way of thinking behind trying it on 3rd down is that if the snap is bungled in some way you can spike the ball and try again.

however, once the kick is up, if you miss it, it counts as your try and you turn the ball over.

the ball will be spotted from where you kicked it.

Fin Fan in Cali said:
My brother law, and I, believe that you can try to kick a field goal on third down, and if you mess the snap up, then you have fourth down to try again. Can you guy's let me know which way the NFL rules read! Thanks for your time!:drinkers:

That is correct...

if u kick it on 3rd down and miss it, then the other team gets it at that spot. if u try to kick on third down and mess up the snap u get the ball where it is whistled dead.

That's right once it's kicked, it's over. Or else you could potentially line up 4 FG attempts in situations where you have 1st down from the 40 yard line with 10 seconds left. most coaches IMO would rather have 3 chances from there than waste the whole 10 seconds for an extra 10 yards and only get one shot..

TorontoFin said:
That's right once it's kicked, it's over. Or else you could potentially line up 4 FG attempts in situations where you have 1st down from the 40 yard line with 10 seconds left.
This would be a good scenerio if Doug Brien was your kicker...:D

Back
Top Bottom