NFL Power Rankings QB,s Week 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NFL Power Rankings QB,s Week 7

kingfin23

This is the Year
Reaction score
1. Peyton Manning, Denver Broncos (+1)

Manning is still the best quarterback in the league. Philip Rivers is no longer my vote for league MVP – I’m still deciding between Manning and DeMarco Murray. Four touchdowns, including one that set the all-time record for TD passes, moves Manning ahead of Philip Rivers.

2. Andrew Luck, Indianapolis Colts (± 0)

Luck looked terrific in Indy’s shutout win over Cincinnati. Sunday marked five straight games and six out of seven games where Luck has thrown for over 300 yards. He leads the league in passing yards and is tied with Peyton Manning for first in touchdown tosses (19) – but Luck has two rushing touchdowns.

3. Philip Rivers, San Diego Chargers (-2)

Losing the top spot in these rankings hurts – losing to Kansas City might hurt more for Rivers. He looked somewhat out of sorts against the Chiefs. With that said, Rivers has had a fantastic year – he and Luck are really a 2A and 2B rather than just a 2 and 3 (behind Manning) this season.

4. Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay Packers (± 0)

Since his “R-E-L-A-X” comments, Rodgers has thrown for 13 touchdowns and no picks. Oh, and the Packers are 4-0 over that time. At this pace, Rodgers may overtake Luck and Rivers. Those two have had a better overall season, but Rodgers has been the best October quarterback so far.

5. Tony Romo, Dallas Cowboys (± 0)

Romo had another solid game. He sealed the deal with a few late completions, including one to Dez Bryant. The second touchdown pass to Gavin Escobar was one of the nicest throws I saw all weekend. Romo hasn’t played on the level of the top four, however.

6. Russell Wilson, Seattle Seahawks (+1)

With barely any help a depleted receiving corps, Wilson set a record with over 300 passing yards and 100 rushing yards. Seattle didn’t win, but that shouldn’t undermine Wilson’s terrific performance. The most important part of Wilson’s fantastic game: he didn’t turn the ball over despite putting the ball in the air and taking off with it so often.

7. Drew Brees, New Orleans Saints (-1)

Brees was good, but Wilson was better. Brees was on fire for the first 50 minutes of the game, seemingly hitting on every pass. But at the end of the game, a forced throw turned into a Lions’ pick that set their offense up in scoring position, which led to the go-ahead, game-winning touchdown.

8. Matthew Stafford, Detroit Lions (+3)

Stafford moves up not exactly because he had a +3 type of week – rather, the two quarterbacks behind him had below-average weeks. Stafford was off in the first half, but turned it around in the second. The first interception was a forced throw (but the second wasn’t his fault). Still, he and Golden Tate were able to lead the offense to two touchdowns in the last four minutes to beat New Orleans.

Oct 12, 2014; Atlanta, GA, USA; Atlanta Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan (2) passes against the Chicago Bears during the first quarter at the Georgia Dome. Mandatory Credit: Dale Zanine-USA TODAY Sports
9. Matt Ryan, Atlanta Falcons (± 0)

It’s difficult to assess Ryan’s play because of his depleted offensive line. Put Ryan behind Dallas’s offensive line and he’ll throw for 300 yards every week. But Atlanta just lost another center, and it’s not looking so bright for the Falcons. Ryan somehow has to lift his team, but that’s hard to do without a decent offensive line.

10. Jay Cutler, Chicago Bears (-2)

One week Cutler is completing 75-yard bombs to Alshon Jeffery; the next week he’s failing to move the ball against Miami’s defense. Granted, Miami’s defense is significantly better than Atlanta’s, but Cutler’s inconsistency is again demonstrated from week to week.

11. Joe Flacco, Baltimore Ravens (+3)

Flacco continues put up some impressive performances. He did turn the ball over a few times, but aside from a few misfires, Flacco was on target for the entire game. Thanks to some surprisingly above-average quarterback play from Flacco, the Ravens are 5-2 and are sitting atop the AFC North.

12. Ryan Tannehill, Miami Dolphins (+4)

Tannehill has looked good for the last three games against Oakland, Green Bay, and Chicago. He completed almost 80 percent of his passes and didn’t commit a turnover against Chicago on Sunday, and the Dolphins are right back in it in the AFC, as crazy as that sounds. 8-8 got San Diego to the Divisional round of the playoffs; Miami is at .500 right now. All the talk of Tannehill being benched is all but over. The Texas A&M product was featured on our Joe Soriano’s top quarterback performances of Week 7.

13. Colin Kaepernick, San Francisco 49ers (-3)

There wasn’t much Kaepernick could do against Denver’s defense, partly because he got no help from his receivers. Anquan Boldin dropped a touchdown and Vernon Davis dropped a few passes. The only receiver Kap got help from was Stevie Johnson. Having said that, Kaepernick wasn’t decisive in the pocket. He overthrew one pass which Aqib Talib picked off. On multiple occasions, he didn’t throw to his hot receiver and took sacks instead. He looked somewhat lost against Denver’s defense at times – that might be common when DeMarcus Ware and Von Miller are coming at him from either side.

14. Tom Brady, New England Patriots (+1)

It appears that Brady has got over his early season slump. He tossed three more touchdowns against New York. He was inaccurate on some intermediate throws that he normally hits on – I think it’s simply a timing issue with new pass-catchers.

15. Cam Newton, Carolina Panthers (-4)

Newton was out of sorts against Green Bay. That Packers defense really rattled him. I’m not sure if it’s the nagging injuries that’s causing Newton to struggle, or he’s just not comfortable in the pocket.

16. Carson Palmer, Arizona Cardinals (+2)

Since his return, Palmer continues to get better. The Cardinals are 5-1 and atop the NFC West, partly due to Palmer’s play in the three games he’s started this year.

Oct 12, 2014; Philadelphia, PA, USA; Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Nick Foles (9) throws the ball during warmups before a game against the New York Giants at Lincoln Financial Field. Mandatory Credit: Bill Streicher-USA TODAY Sports
17. Nick Foles, Philadelphia Eagles (± 0)

No movement for Foles during his bye week.

18. Eli Manning, New York Giants (+1)

Manning kept the Giants in it even when they were down by two scores (after Larry Donnell’s fumble). He took them down the field and threw a touchdown to Odell Beckham, Jr., but Dallas was able to get the game-sealing field goal. If Manning got the ball back down by a touchdown, who knows what would’ve happened.

19. Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh Steelers (+1)

Roethlisberger and the Steelers’ offense took off after a stagnant 27 minutes. Big Ben may not have the moves he did a few years ago to escape pressure (we saw that on Monday night), but Pittsburgh is 4-3 and back in it in the AFC North – Roethlisberger is a big reason (for the four wins as well as the three losses).

20. Austin Davis, St. Louis Rams (+7)

I know St. Louis’s offense “only” put up 21 points against Seattle’s defense as the other 7 were from that tremendous special teams play – but Austin Davis did something no quarterback has done against Seattle in a long time: complete more than 80 percent of his passes. Davis finished 17 for 20 with two touchdowns and no turnovers against Seattle’s “Legion of Boom”. I’m still not sure of whether or not Davis is the real deal in St. Louis, but Sunday showed everyone that there’s no reason to doubt him.

21. Andy Dalton, Cincinnati Bengals (-8)

Simply not a good performance by Dalton. Stats are misleading, but anytime a QB throws 38 passes and completes less than half of them, it’s not a good performance. I didn’t want to move Dalton down by eight spots, but I had to because of good performances by several people who were below him last week.

22. Derek Carr, Oakland Raiders (± 0)

Carr has been the best of the three rookie starting quarterbacks. Frankly, the Raiders are not good, and I will not judge Carr based on the successfulness of the Raiders.

23. Alex Smith, Kansas City Chiefs (+2)

Smith has actually done a significant amount this season with absolutely no help on the outside. Dwayne Bowe is not a true number one option, and there’s virtually no depth at wide receiver behind him. However, Smith has somehow been able to keep Kansas City in it (they are at .500). While I don’t expect a Royals-like run from the Chiefs, they could possibly be competitive in a weak AFC.

24. Brian Hoyer, Cleveland Browns (-3)

A week after everyone thought Brian Hoyer could be a legitimate starting quarterback, he plays his worst game of the season against the Jaguars. Hoyer actually threw an interception against Jacksonville – his first of the season.

Oct 12, 2014; Nashville, TN, USA; Tennessee Titans quarterback Charlie Whitehurst (12) drops back to pass against the Jacksonville Jaguars during the second half at LP Field. The Titans beat the Jaguars 16-14. Mandatory Credit: Don McPeak-USA TODAY Sports
25. Charlie Whitehurst, Tennessee Titans (± 0)

Like a few other quarterbacks on this list, Whitehurst got little help from his supporting cast. Dropped passes and bad offensive line protection hurt the Titans’ chances against Washington. Tennessee announced that they’re going to rookie Zach Mettenberger for this Sunday’s game – it might be too soon. I’m not sure that Mett will fare better than Whitehurst.

26. Blake Bortles, Jacksonville Jaguars (-3)

Bortles is a promising rookie, but he simply can’t turn the ball over at that rate. He’ll end up like Rex Grossman if he keeps doing that.

27. Kyle Orton, Buffalo Bills (+5)

Orton had one of the biggest impact performances of the week. His touchdown passes to Sammy Watkins were game changers. I still think E.J. Manuel should be getting those reps (Buffalo did invest a mid-first for him), but Orton is 2-1 as a starter so far for the Bills.

28. Ryan Fitzpatrick, Houston Texans (+2)

Fitzpatrick actually played well against Pittsburgh. The interception came on a tipped pass – not exactly an inaccurate throw. It happens. At least in the first half, he looked good on his passes, especially when Houston stormed out of the gates with a 13 point lead.

29. Mike Glennon, Tampa Bay Buccaneers (-3)

I don’t like moving people down in their bye weeks, but because Fitzpatrick and Orton jumped over Glennon, he has to move down.

30. Geno Smith, New York Jets (+1)

Smith looked much better last Thursday night, but still missed on some throws – for example, that two-point conversion attempt that would’ve tied the game. An accurate throw would’ve done the trick. With that said, Smith did look on point for most of the game.

31. Teddy Bridgewater, Minnesota Vikings (-2)

It was good for Bridgewater to get his first passing touchdown. He has a lot to learn in an offense where he doesn’t have much help.

32. Kirk Cousins, Washington Redskins (-4)

I’ve finally faced reality: Kirk Cousins is the worst starting quarterback in the NFL. Well, now he’s a backup. Aside from the one interception, Cousins didn’t look bad at all, but he had been spiraling downward for the previous month. That pick capped it all off.

Moving on up."Moving on up" To the east side.. 8)))

Couldn't imagine seeing our QB at 12 the way his season started. Has played great last few games. Still think 12 is high

If Ryan puts up 4 more good quarters of ball against Jacksonville and heads into the Chargers games I'll have good feelings.

He is going to be be fine. I made a post 3 weeks ago that Tannehill will be here a long time. I was laughed at.

3. Philip Rivers, San Diego Chargers (-2)

Losing the top spot in these rankings hurts – losing to Kansas City might hurt more for Rivers. He looked somewhat out of sorts against the Chiefs. With that said, Rivers has had a fantastic year – he and Luck are really a 2A and 2B rather than just a 2 and 3 (behind Manning) this season.

This dude is really full of himself, isn't he? Losing the top spot in these rankings hurt? Really? I'm sure that must have effected Philip Rivers against Denver...might have caused San Diego to lose the game.

I still don't understand why the media is so high on Romo this season. Havnet they learned? This guy will play good for stretches and then when it matters, he will let the media down. Romo blows.

He is going to be be fine. I made a post 3 weeks ago that Tannehill will be here a long time. I was laughed at.

And you very well still could be laughed at down the road for having said that. Had he showed up for the first half of the Green Bay game we would have won that. Keep in mind, it's the Defense that has been the better side of the ball more consistently than our average QB. It's going to take more than a few games to believe he's ready to be a starting NFL QB.

Part of all this...Is Lazor is finally capitalizing on Tannehill's strengths....and staying for the most part away from his weaknesses.

Prior to this they tried to force him into what they wanted to do.....it also helps to finally have a good O-line.

The above is why I think this will continue.

And you very well still could be laughed at down the road for having said that. Had he showed up for the first half of the Green Bay game we would have won that. Keep in mind, it's the Defense that has been the better side of the ball more consistently than our average QB. It's going to take more than a few games to believe he's ready to be a starting NFL QB.

He already is a starting NFL QB....

bout time i finally saw my qb up there in the range he belongs in...alex smith gets no respect...23rd rated qb my ass

Your post is bad and you should feel bad.

Really hope Tannehill just becomes great. He did miss a year in college playing WR. So to me it's gunna be a 4 year thing to determine if he's a bust or not. So far he has gotten better each year.

No, seems to me you are in the position of being laughed at, the proof is hitting hard in the face, and you just continue to turn the cheek, close the eyes, and yell to yourself "Not happening, Not happening."

Tannehill has been improving each year, this year, has to learn a new Offense (Only his 2nd Offense ever), started slow, but in the last three games even with one bad half, is killing it, and has become one of the better QBs in that span, but No, you think he will still fail? Now that is big laugh worthy.

Back
Top Bottom