Nik Needham | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Nik Needham

realdolphin

Starter
Reaction score
Just watched on youtube the fullgame colts vs dolphins, we won at their house , geeezzz that game was won by Nik Needham folks, the guy had 5 stellar plays and three of them were absolutely crucial for the outcome of the game. the guy was glued all day long to his receiver or TE (ebron) I think this team with Byron Jones, X Howard, the new guy Igby and Needham is absolutely set at CB. some guys are worried about our safeties but not me, the game just evolved and physical safeties that play mostly zone are useless for miami´s scheme that is 90% man to man defense, we utilize CB´s converted to safeties and besides just take a look at the draft no safety was taken in the first round, clear indicator that the position has changed. Needham is a very fine CB and has the potential to be a star.

Have to have at least 4 good CBs, because 3 are playing the vast majority of the snaps.

I’d project needham first man up depth wise on the boundary maybe compete at nickel with igbo

I see Igbo kicking inside primary and likely the 4th boundary option

Based on his progression last year -- I think Needham has a viable NFL career.

That's a huge accomplishment for a UDFA DB!

And it's also a great sign that Flores saw something in the kid and got him!

Have to hope some of the magic sauce can be translated to OL!

Our collective achilles heal for what seems like 20+ years!

I agree - I'm even seeing this at the high school level - Safeties and LB's aren't that important anymore…if you are a Safety or LB - you better be able to cover WR's, TE's and RB's coming out of the backfield or these coaches will not let you get on the field.

It's seems like NFL defenses are now 3 Defensive Lineman & 8 DB's (all corners)….if you are an NFL LB - you better be able to haul ass.

I agree - I'm even seeing this at the high school level - Safeties and LB's aren't that important anymore…if you are a Safety or LB - you better be able to cover WR's, TE's and RB's coming out of the backfield or these coaches will not let you get on the field.

It's seems like NFL defenses are now 3 Defensive Lineman & 8 DB's (all corners)….if you are an NFL LB - you better be able to haul ***.

I think the modern NFL has moved away from traditional defensive schemes to cope with 3WR/1TE base sets on offense. DBs in general have become a premium position. Safeties are asked to play more versatile roles (in the box or slot), but there is still almost always at least 2 on the field. If you go back and watch the game originally mentioned vs Indy you will see McCain and Rowe on the field together most of the defensive snaps. LBs however, are a dying breed. A good box safety and MLB is pretty much all you need anymore (ignoring EDGE rushers).

I think the modern NFL has moved away from traditional defensive schemes to cope with 3WR/1TE base sets on offense. DBs in general have become a premium position. Safeties are asked to play more versatile roles (in the box or slot), but there is still almost always at least 2 on the field. If you go back and watch the game originally mentioned vs Indy you will see McCain and Rowe on the field together most of the defensive snaps. LBs however, are a dying breed. A good box safety and MLB is pretty much all you need anymore (ignoring EDGE rushers).

...given the quality of that post I sure hope you post more!

Seriously impressive on a number of levels.

:good:

I don't disagree, but if you are going with that philosophy, it is imperative that the D-line hold their ground, and effectively set the edge, keeping OGs off the smaller, faster guys. Otherwise a power run game will overwhelm the LOS.

I think that is precicely why we brought in the FAs, and drafted many of the guys we did.

I do agree that the NFL is moving a lot towards nickel defense playing two linebackers for A majority of their defensive snaps. And much like you said they need to be able to fly around the field to cover all the receiving options. The 250+ pound middle linebacker like McMillan is a thing of the past the more as a Simmons Jerome baker 230 pound players who can fly but get a 220 pound running back going downhill and let’s see who wins that match up

And to Mach2’s Point power running can overwhelm this which is really interesting to see Miami going with enormous offensive lineman. If Jackson and Hunt grow into their bodies and strength and you put a guy like Kinley at guard and Flowers who is a huge human being, you’ll be able to force teams to play in packages they aren’t used to meaning they don’t have the depth or talent in which they can counter the power style but when they try and commit to stopping that you can expose them in other ways perhaps in the passing game.

I think the versatility this coaching staff is trying to create on both sides of the ball is quite impressive

Back
Top Bottom