No 1st Rounder... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

No 1st Rounder...

Phins34

Favorite Player: Sammy Smith
Reaction score
Guys, lets face it. This organization is notorious for giving away our 1st round picks for later rounds. You know those rumors of us trading down into the second round or true. We should expect nothing less. I will be shocked if we are actually picking someone at 20. We never do, because I think this organization has too much pressure to pick someone who will be good because all our last 1st rounders have stunk. This is just typical dolphins.

Revisionist history?

I think you need to look at the history this front office has with the draft. In the 4 drafts since Dave took over, the Dolphins have traded down zero times. They have traded up twice, and they have used future picks to get an extra pick twice. They have yet to trade down.

Now, that may change with Rick Spielman, but I'm not anticipating it. Miami will pick at 20.

I'm saying they give them away, ala Ricky williams......not that it was a bad thing. I just think the Fins are scarred to pick in the 1st round because a 1st rounder comes with a lot of hype and if flops (Fletcher), the organization is given a hard time.

You may be right, but I think you have to look at each situation individually. What is there to be so negative about? This draft is DEEP. If the guy we want (Andrews) is not there at 20, why not pick up some extra first day picks? When you've got guys like Bouleware, Grove, Woods, Snee, etc . . . going in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, I think it makes a lot of sense.

I believe that the Dolphins have not made up their minds one way or the other. I think they're just going to see how things unfold. If trading down is the best option available when 20 is rolling around, they'll try and trade down. If they like a guy at 20, they'll pull the trigger.

If we do trade down, I certainly won't be upset. This draft is indeed very deep. And we can always use more picks.

The only reason I would be upset about trading down would be if there is a guy at 20 who could help the team, yet the front office takes a lowball deal to trade down. I really think that's an unlikely combination, though.

If they trade down, it's because they know what they're doing. RS gets at least one honeymoon draft in my book.

Why do people asume that Andrews is"our guy"?I think we might move down but not cos we want more picks. If we move down it'll probably be cos the guys the FO wants are all gone at that point.But who those guys that the FO wants remaind to be seen.

Ozzy rules!!

First round picks can be over-rated though. So many busts! It wouldn't kill us to drop to two picks in the second round we may get better value.

You know, this regime has a pretty good record of 2nd and 3rd round picks: Chambers, McMichaels, Minor, Greenwood, Todd Wade, McKinney. Wade Smith. Ben Kelly was a bust and the jury is still out on E. Moore. Chambers and McMichaels are ready for breakout years. Greenwood, Minor, Wade have been solid. Smith and McKinney have done ok and are prepped for solid years this year....There is more quality in this years 2nd and 3 rnds than in the last 4 or 5 years....Maybe we should stick with what has worked for us...In this draft in particular, more on day one is better than our #20 pick...

BTW, James...same philosphy....is it better to have one player help the team or 2 ?? If we choose an OL at 20, he would start...If we choose an OL in the 2nd round, he'd start.

spielman and company will have a list of players they feel they cant lose on if there at 20, they will take them. if not, they will trade if offered. that is the other side to this theory, that is someone has to make us an offer that is doable to this organization.

LarryFinFan said:
BTW, James...same philosphy....is it better to have one player help the team or 2 ?? If we choose an OL at 20, he would start...If we choose an OL in the 2nd round, he'd start.

I don't think that's true at all. A guard in the 2nd would likely start, but a tackle probably wouldn't. Anyway, starting is overrated. We need guys who can contribute, and that can mean special teams or playing in a rotation.

I want to stress my point is that I don't want us to both pass on a guy who can really help and accept a lowball offer. If the team feels it is wise to pass on say Andrews because they're getting Denver's two second rounders and it's good value, that is fine with me. I just don't want to see us trade with say Kansas City for their 2nd and 3rd in that situation.

Back
Top Bottom