No ifs, ands or buts: Dolphins need to start Matt Moore | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

No ifs, ands or buts: Dolphins need to start Matt Moore

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
matt-moore-dolphins.jpg

Miami Dolphins backup quarterback Matt Moore admitted Sunday night he did not take a single rep with the first team in practice last week.
That makes Miami’s 31-28, come-from-behind win over the New York Jets even more impressive, as Moore threw for 188 yards and two touchdowns after starter Jay Cutler was knocked out of the game with a chest injury.
Moore won his third game for the Dolphins dating to last season. At this point, there should be no ifs, ands or buts about who should be under center Thursday night when the Dolphins travel to play the Baltimore Ravens.
http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/...nds-or-buts-dolphins-need-to-start-matt-moore

I think Gase goes with Cutler when he's cleared to play unless Moore completely lights it up in the next couple of weeks. I don't see a permanent change based on one 2 qtrs, not Gase's style.

I think Gase goes with Cutler when he's cleared to play unless Moore completely lights it up in the next couple of weeks. I don't see a permanent change based on one 2 qtrs, not Gase's style.

Agreed. If MM can put up, say, 30 every game, the pressure from Fans/players/Ross should keep MM as starter. He can always use the "hot hand" logic. If the O reverts to 14-17 PPM, Cutler is back without a doubt. In any case, IMO, the emotional lift MM gave the O was obvious.

It was surely recognized, I just don't know what Moore will give over time (actually I think I do). I think we're screwed with either once the emotional lift is back on earth but I hope Moore proves me and a lot of other people wrong and balls the rest of the season.

Yeah that whole "next game" thing is a sobering thought with Moore, but he did look good out there yesterday. Had a couple off target passes but otherwise was really on point, utilizing everyone, and energized the offense in general.

I really hope he can keep up the excellent play, would like nothing more that to see him succeed as a starter with this team, and the team benefit as a result. Like Rashad said "Everyone loves Matt"

Even the announcers were quick to point out that the interception was not Moore’s fault, it was all on the receiver. No one can come off the bench and light it up, I don’t care who you are. But someone who has been practicing for just that like Moore should be able to get it together in a drive or two and with a couple of practices with the starters, as the starter, he should really be able to show what he and the team can do with him. Short week works for him, I think he is ready to go. I would give Cutler a few days off.

This has been clear since the day Tannehill got hurt, but sadly Gase has a Cutler shaped blind spot

Moore's ceiling is about what we saw yesterday....good in relief duty, or maybe a couple of full games, but that's about it. He doesn't have the oline or running game to limit his exposure and he doesn't have the deep ball strength to scare defenses into backing off. If/when Moore puts together a few head-scratchers and Cutler gets healthy, then it won't be all that controversial when Gase hands Cutler back the starting job.

We saw Matt Moore play in Gase's offense last year. We saw Cutler play in the same offense this year. We are comparing apples to apples when we look at Moore and Cutler productivity in this offense. I think its pretty easy to say who has played better in this offense.

Gase would be insane to go back to Cuttlefish if Moore continues to make the offense look like an NFL one. Cutler has not done that yet. Now if the O goes back to 10 3 and outs per game then yeah, you can go back to him. Let's hope that doesn't happen.

What is Moore's career numbers with the Fins?
It's pretty good. Can't find it officially but I'm going w this:

1. Year he took over for Henne he went 6-5 I think after we were 0-5 or something.

2. Came in relief of Tanny at Jets in 2012 when we were down early. Led to a decisive win of 30-14 or something.

3. Last year. Was 3-1 in my book not 2-1 as he came in and won AZ game while we were trailing.

4. Lost Playoff game last year.

5. Won yesterday's game even though I don't think it technically counts (just like the Jets in 2012 and Cardinals last year).

So in my book he's 11-6 in regular season though officially he's 8-6 and 0-1 in playoffs. I may not have this perfectly right though but I am likely close.

I have a feeling Gase goes back to Cutler once healthy regardless of Moore's success, if successful. And that would be a season ending mistake for this team. But what if Moore starts the next two, and he's 2-0 + the Jets comeback? Guess it'll depend on the offensive production as well.

I do know one thing for sure though.... Our skill position players definitely play with more fire for Matt. I fully expect the receivers to elevate their games over the next few weeks. Landry should get a lot more big play opportunities as opposed to quick 4-5 yard throws.

Gase will go back to Cutler, rightfully so, but the leash may be shorter.

Back
Top Bottom