No need to panic about Poole | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

No need to panic about Poole

MadDawg020

SmartGuy
Reaction score
I often get worried when I see players go down during camp, but I'm not as concerned with this injury as others on this board who are panicking for no reason. I agree, Poole would have been a major contributor to our defense this season, no doubt about that. But you guys have to realize something...we're going to run a completely different scheme that doesn't focus on man press and having shut down corners!!

Remember the names Randall Gay, Asante Samuel, and Troy Brown?!?!? Not exactly shut down corners, but under Belicheck's system you don't need to be. It's going to be very similar with Saban's system I'm sure. There will be far more emphasis on having guys in the right spot at the right time using different schemes rather than relying on the athleticism of your players by playing the same vanilla, press coverage on every down...something that I loathed with Wanny. The strength of this defense has clearly shifted to the front 7, and you can bet that Saban intended it to be that way, and will focus our schemes around our front 7 rather than our secondary.

There's no need to worry. :cooldude:

I think if its one area we should not worry about its our DBs.As a former DB and coach for DBs I am sure he will pay special attention to DB schemes

some good points however, the success bill b has is one thing, saban is coming from the college game and even though he did coach under bill at clev the NFL is alot diff now so lets see how Saban fares in the NFL....

one thing for sure, he will do alot better than that pathetic wanny ever could do!!!

While I was disappointed to see him injured, I agree that we should still be alright. This new defensive scheme is gonna make any CB look better by pressuring the QB to make mistakes with the pass rush.

The bigger issue in my mind is how this will impact Poole's career. If he can come back strong in 2006, this lost year will mean little. I'd hate to see this end the kid's time in the NFL.

Panic? No. However, what are the odds we get through training camp with all healthy players and then the ENTIRE NFL season?

You can almost count on a sprained ankle or knee keeping one or two guys out for a couple weeks, a month maybe.

It is depth that will be needed. Take away Surtain and Poole and it gets thin. Yeah, the defensive scheme can help, but it will be the first year in such a system for most of the defense, so it won't be as effective as it could be.

I'm all for waiting for June 1st and grabbing a solid vet CB after we see all the options. I'm not saying starter, but we do need a #3 or #4 guy.

Back
Top Bottom