No reason why a rookie qb cant start | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

No reason why a rookie qb cant start

Originally posted by DrAstroZoom

I will not stop saying it because not only is it true, but it is also true that a rookie quarterback hasn't even guided a team to the playoffs in 20 years.

Bingo! Rookies only start in situations where the team knows they're not going to the playoffs anyway. Do you think the Dolphins are a "crappy team" without a shot at the playoffs?

The difference is Brady and Favre had time to learn their team's offenses, practice with the team and generally live the NFL lifestyle before they assumed a starting role. There is a WORLD of difference between that and giving the starting nod to a rookie.

Brady was NOT a rookie by any definition of the term.

I never said Brady was a Rookie. And Boller would've led Ravens to Playoffs had he not gotten hurt.

If we aquire Henson, He will have Plenty of Time to adjust to our offense since he could start working out in March rather than waiting till Training camp like most Rookies. That's 3 extra months. Besides, this would be a good year for a Rookie to take over since I'm assuming Joel Collier will bring a new offensive philosophy and our whole team will have to adjust to it together. And I'm also assuming that Henson isn't your average Rookie QB, but a future superstar of this league.

You know what they say there a first time for everything. Every year the league needs some kind of story to get people watching. What better way then to have a rookie QB leading his team to a SB victory you all say it cant happen but it can and it will sometime. Maybe not with the Fins but with someone. Why not try to make it this year. Brady might as well been a rookie when he took over for Drew. In a league that is so unpredictable who are we to say what can and cant happen. Truthfully i believe the only people who deteremine this are the players and the bookies in Vegas.

Lyle Blackwood
Glenn Blackwood
Kim Bokamper
Doug Betters
Bob Baumhower
AJ Duhe
Mark Duper
Mark Clayton
Dwight Stephenson
Bob Kuechenberg
Roy Foster
Ed Newman

Just a couple of the names that were told, "Get on board, we're riding with the kid."

I guess the group we have now is better than that though.

They deserve more. Even though the group above was a year removed from a Super Bowl and the group we have now sat at home for the playoffs.............:rolleyes:

If a kid is going to be a terd you can't stop it. He's a terd.

I think that if we get Henson or Rivers either one is gonna start at some point for us this coming season.I don't see us getting a veteran QB now so it'll probably be Brian or Jay(probably Jay)and the rookie as the back up. This might not be too bad for 2 reasons. Jay and the fins start pretty good most years and then Jay gets hurt or starts to mess up more. When that happens next season then the rookie can start and hopefully spark the team. Marino was the 3rd string his rookie year(Woodley, Strock) but he took over at about the midway point. Am I saying that Henson or Rivers are Marino? Of course not. And that team had a better o-line(which I hope we'll improve this off-season)and they also had Duper and Moore and Nathan and Clayton and we just have CC but we might add a good rookie WR too. I know is not the same situation but it could work. And besides, I don't wanna go with Jay the whole season once again.

Ozzy rules!!

Originally posted by Ct Fin Freak 13
I dont see any reason why a rookie qb cant start for us next season. Its not like we have a great qb right now and its not like we need him to be the main focal point of the offense. Ricky is our first threat on offense so IMO all we need is a qb that will be capable of making all the throws an NFL qb needs to make unlike jay fiedler. Tom Brady did it and also kurt Warner and dellhome didnt have any starting nfl experience. As long as our defense plays like it has in the past we should be all set starting a rookie qb. assuming we get some help on the oline.

It's called history and common sense.
A rookie no matter how good cannot be consistent enough while learning the game to allow a team to play at a championship level.

A rookie QB can start of course.
However, a rookie will make too many mistakes and have too great a learning curve to give a vet team such as the Fins a chance to win the Super Bowl NOW.

Success for this Fins team is not a 8-8, 9-7 rebuild year.
That's why a rookie QB cannot successfully start for this team next year.
This team needs to bring in a vet to win now and a rookie for the future.

Marino 1983

The Dolphins had 3 wins and 2 losses. Dan Marino entered the sixth game and led the team to an overtime loss (3-3). He then preceded to lead the team to four straight wins. After another loss the Dolphins rolled off 5 more wins. The Dolphins finished 12-4 and lost in their first playoff game in the divisional round.

It can be done. :D

Originally posted by Brad528
You know what they say there a first time for everything. Every year the league needs some kind of story to get people watching. What better way then to have a rookie QB leading his team to a SB victory you all say it cant happen but it can and it will sometime. Maybe not with the Fins but with someone. Why not try to make it this year. Brady might as well been a rookie when he took over for Drew. In a league that is so unpredictable who are we to say what can and cant happen. Truthfully i believe the only people who deteremine this are the players and the bookies in Vegas.

:rolleyes:
Nobody says it "can't" happen.
You can win the lottery with a $1 ticket tomorrow.
What are the odds though?

You don't plan on finding a phenom rookie that will not only be a top level talent but also a genious who will pick up the NFL's speed and logic differences his first year.

That would be like you planning your whole future on how your going to support you and your family by your hopes of winning the lottery. Dosen't happen!
You have to have a plan of action that allows you to support yourself while still playing the long odds of getting lucky.

Same here.
Could you find a rookie that is a phenom talent and brain that could do it all his first year. Sure it's "possible".
You don't plan your team's Super Bowl run on it though.
That would be friggin rediculous.

While some of you on here are hoping for the alien rookie QB to come down and do what no other rookie ever has, I will continue hoping that the Fins FO plans on bringing in a vet to maximize it's chances of winning now while also bringing in a rookie for FUTURE seasons beyond next year.

Originally posted by ZOD
Marino 1983

The Dolphins had 3 wins and 2 losses. Dan Marino entered the sixth game and led the team to an overtime loss (3-3). He then preceded to lead the team to four straight wins. After another loss the Dolphins rolled off 5 more wins. The Dolphins finished 12-4 and lost in their first playoff game in the divisional round.

It can be done. :D

Your using Dan Marino who owns just about every single passing record in the NFL to support your argument here.
Once in a decade if not once in a century talent.
About the same odds as winning the lottery as to finding a QB that will accomplish that type of success in a rookie year.

You don't plan your team's future on finding a one in a million QB any more than you plan your financial future on winning the lottery.

I can't even believe there are some on here hoping we turn the reins of a veteran team with little time left over to a rookie QB.
NOT A GOOD IDEA!

We need to find a new veteran QB to lead the team now along with planning for the future by bringing in a young prospect.

Actually Dan had the good fortune to jump aboard a good team. Maybe that helped the "psyche" everyone is worried about. Maybe the reason terds turn out to be terds is that they are on bad teams to begin with and the team never improves around them.

But I would like to ask you about something.

Who says this team is worth a sh*t? Was it the playoff appearance two years ago? That thrashing does not exactly speak highly of this team. Was it the 10 wins last year?

If it makes you feel any better I'd guarrantee 9 wins with a rookie at the helm of this team. What would that mean? One less win than last year. Certainly nothing else is on the line. Is it?

Could you show me why you feel that we are so much better than the Ravens? They made the playoffs last year and started a rookie. I'd like to know why our window is so much wider open than their window of opportunity. Are we that much older than the Cowboys? They made the playoffs with a man at QB that I would contend is far worse than the QB we watch.

What was it about NFL Europe that made Jake Delhomme such a great star? Did the NFL Europe players go over there and breath magic air or something? Are they faster than.... say....the CBs and Receivers in the Senior Bowl? What was it that made 5th, 6th, and 7th round draft choices so much better than what Phillip Rivers faced at various points of his 4yr starting career with NC State. Don't the Dolphins send some terds over to Europe and they still can't make the team?

Originally posted by ZOD

Who says this team is worth a sh*t? Was it the playoff appearance two years ago? That thrashing does not exactly speak highly of this team. Was it the 10 wins last year?

We can all go into the unending argument of why this team isn't cutting it. I believe the team is 2 OL, a new experienced QB and another decent WR away from making a serious run.
OL and QB are the major points here IMO. Which takes us back to why a rookie QB taking over now is not a good idea.

Originally posted by ZOD

If it makes you feel any better I'd guarrantee 9 wins with a rookie at the helm of this team. What would that mean? One less win than last year. Certainly nothing else is on the line. Is it?

Well damn Zod that is exactly the point.
We've already been down the road of 9-7, 10-6, maybe 8-8 with a rookie, etc.
Guarantee 9 wins with a rookie at QB? Whooptie doo!
Were trying to increase the success of the team not maintain its mediocrity correct???
That's exactly why we need to bring in a VETERAN to increase our chances of getting over the hump now rather than later.

Originally posted by ZOD

Could you show me why you feel that we are so much better than the Ravens? They made the playoffs last year and started a rookie. I'd like to know why our window is so much wider open than their window of opportunity. Are we that much older than the Cowboys? They made the playoffs with a man at QB that I would contend is far worse than the QB we watch.

You're using teams that "made" the playoffs not teams that really had a chance to make some noise. These teams were no different than the last Fins teams to make the playoffs. They made it but had too many holes to compete with the elite teams.
Is that what were striving for? These are also teams that admittedly were in rebuilding stages. Ravens started a rookie because it was time to look towards building the future not the current season they were in. If that's what we want then fine.
We'll sacrifice the core Defense we have now while we build the offense around a 2-3 year plan with a rookie at QB and hope we keep the Defense competitive long enough. I for one don't think we need to do that. Again, the best plan is Vet and Rookie.
Both angles are covered.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Ct Fin Freak 13
I dont see any reason why a rookie qb cant start for us next season. Its not like we have a great qb right now and its not like we need him to be the main focal point of the offense. Ricky is our first threat on offense so IMO all we need is a qb that will be capable of making all the throws an NFL qb needs to make unlike jay fiedler. Tom Brady did it and also kurt Warner and dellhome didnt have any starting nfl experience. As long as our defense plays like it has in the past we should be all set starting a rookie qb. assuming we get some help on the oline.

Unfortunatley, I clicked this thread.

But now that I've read the opening statement and got a good laugh I should sleep well tonight :up: Thanks Ct - I know that was the real reason for this post - Comedy! :lol:

If you want us to win a SB next year, and you don't see any reason why a rookie can't come in and do it, then you've got a lot to learn about this game.

I'm going to stop with this opening paragraph and get some shuteye.

Re: Re: No reason why a rookie qb cant start

Originally posted by Pigskin Pimp

Unfortunatley, I clicked this thread.

But now that I've read the opening statement and got a good laugh I should sleep well tonight :up: Thanks Ct - I know that was the real reason for this post - Comedy! :lol:

If you want us to win a SB next year, and you don't see any reason why a rookie can't come in and do it, then you've got a lot to learn about this game.

I'm going to stop with this opening paragraph and get some shuteye.

:lol: :lol:

Damn I admire you!
I wish I would have stopped there!

Lyle Blackwood
Glenn Blackwood
Kim Bokamper
Doug Betters
Bob Baumhower
AJ Duhe
Mark Duper
Mark Clayton
Dwight Stephenson
Bob Kuechenberg
Roy Foster
Ed Newman

Just a couple of the names that were told, "Get on board, we're riding with the kid."

Guess what bud... There is no possible way that the Miami Dolphins will have a shot a SB if they go with a Rookie QB. So just drop the convo about it. I'm sick of hearing about it.

Okay,, once again..about the whole Ravens going to playoffs this year. Kyle Boller was a very very small part of that. Didn't Anthony Wright get them in the playoffs??? am i wrong??? Kyle Boller is a loser he got hurt. MIAMI HAS NO SHOT NEXT SEASON WITH A ROOKIE FACE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by miamid04
Lyle Blackwood
Glenn Blackwood
Kim Bokamper
Doug Betters
Bob Baumhower
AJ Duhe
Mark Duper
Mark Clayton
Dwight Stephenson
Bob Kuechenberg
Roy Foster
Ed Newman

Guess what bud... There is no possible way that the Miami Dolphins will have a shot a SB if they go with a Rookie QB. So just drop the convo about it. I'm sick of hearing about it.

if you're sick of hearing about it then don't click on the thread.....it's real simple like that.

Back
Top Bottom