norv turner hiding behind his kicker | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

norv turner hiding behind his kicker

i2panzer

Practice Squad
Reaction score
the problem i see is the play calling. miami has yet to throw 4 WR in the game. not many teams have great dime backs, and we have young talent in simmons and tolver yet they get no playing time...

the play calling is awful. miami had some very good looking deep balls and touch passes. When miami had a matchup (randy on Phifer/Harrison) the QB exploited it great. maybe that 4th WR would get the matchups and open some other WR up. the same old 2 WR, 1 RB. 1 FB, 1 TE scheme has been figured OUT NORV! time to call something new. maybe you'll get more of these matchups and get more 1st downs... maybe. but stick with whats working right? err nm.

WHERES PLAY-ACTION?! it's so sad to watch play action work wonders everytime it's used, then not have it used at all the rest of the game. it's so obviois it's miami's bread and butter. why even play williams if you're not going to exploit this in the passing game.

miami can't block to save it's life... ricky early had some holes and got 51 yards on 11 carries. everything is looking nice and miami has a 10-6 lead. then in the 2nd half the pats KNEW what was comming. On TV bilichick said that he knew miami liked running the delayed draw to let defenders in the backfield and this lets ricky exploit the D (this only proves the oline is so bad we have to take advantage of how bad they suck on the outside). This tells me that you can run the draw a few times, then use play action to kill them. it's scary to think that NT is the "best" OC in the league and can't exploit what a team says they're watching for. the draw was ran over 10 times and most likley averaged 2 per carry. HINT* it's not working.. try something NEW*

When dixon gets back i don't think he'll make a huge difference in the run/pass blocking. ricky hasn't had a 100 yard game in 3 games! the defense is not stacking the line so there is something else wrong. plus the block kick.. again not able to control the line of scrimmage. didn't do it on ST or on offense.

Fiedler did have pressure again... it's a wonder why NT doesn't use the shotgun play instead of taking 7 step drops... again i could call the offense better. i'm not even saying it to be a smart ***... i COULD and so COULD EVERYONE call the plays better. NT isn't setting teams up.. he simply is seeting miami up for a bad season.

i know this deals with JF but it is important to my non fiedler points. i think fiedler did hit the long ball great. he hit like 4 of them out of 8. he had nice touch passes and played well imo. even his picks were close. BUT... i think miami is OVERWORKING the long ball. 2 WR 1 TE, and 2 backs.. you cannot go long with BOTH WR and expect to move the chains... why is miami going deep so much? i saw 7 or 8 long balls... WHY?! thats the lowest percentage pass in the NFL and miami is using to much. miami is using the same formation on 1st and second down and not fooling anyone... why not use the shotgun? fiedler has more time to see the field and make plays. 1/1 in the shotgun for a 1st down... i mean yeah it's 1 pass but it is more then that.

to summerize:

to much long ball and not enough 5-10 yard passes (to WR not backs...)
to much of the same formation. 1 TE/2 WR/ 2 RB
not speading the field out.. 3 WR isn't enough.. and when you have young and major potential talent at the WR spot, you need to see what these guys can do.
bad blocking... or is it the predictable play calling?

JF is not on top of the problems list
bad blocking/predictable play calling with 1-3 formations... really it's hard to gauge which is the problem.. IMO they're connected 100%. how can you block a guy when he knows whats comming?

heres an intresting stat: Ricky's Rushes!
1st half
11 carries/51 yards= 4.6 yards per carry
2nd half
16 carries/43 yards= 2.3 yards per carry

is it play calling or ricky? i think ricky has proven he is the best back in the league... yet he hasn't had 100 yards in 3 games. how can he when the defenses know whats comming? i could scheme the dolphins...
ME: "OK D.. standard 4-3 most of the game. then some nickle packages on 3rd. remember guys, 1st down RUN. 2nd down RUN, and down PASS."
Defensive Guy: "should we worry about playaction?"
ME "No... just remember 2 Runs and a Pass!"

Norv Turner's play calling is good enough to win and thats it... when you play teams who have a coach who can scheme you, good enough to win doesn't cut it. when 1-2 things happen you will pay (2 missed FG attempts anyone).

so Turner go hide and point the finger at Olindo Mare... no one will blame you because he is a kicker who missed the GM winning FG (twice). but the fact YOU didn't make a gameplan based on winning with no doubts should give you 100% of the blame. instead Fiedler and Mare will share the spotlight... fiedler is used it by now... maybe he should call the plays so when miami loses or barley wins we can blame it on him and have it be the truth. but like always the blame game finds it's regular victims and leave the man behind the curtain sitting pretty....

NT.. you suck... DW you suck for not saying somethign to him. he's your friend so he can **** up right? no more of it, be a man and handle your ****. make sure he does it right!

I disagree, there was the right amount of long ball calls made.

Yeah I agree with dupree. We did throw quite a few long balls (most incomplete or picked off though) but it didnt do much to help us since fiedler doesnt have an arm for long passes.

Originally posted by Dol-Fan Dupree

yes and as you can see miami just racked up the points...

30 yard pass.

1st and 10
Williams for 1/Formation: 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE

2nd and 9
williams for 1/Formation: 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE

3rd and 8/Formation: 1 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE
pressure onfiedler and he attempts a short pass because of no time and predictable play calling...

ah the JOY of the playing "the best" OC in the NFL...

Originally posted by LoXiN
Yeah I agree with dupree. We did throw quite a few long balls (most incomplete or picked off though) but it didnt do much to help us since fiedler doesnt have an arm for long passes.

what are you talking about? Fiedler hit like 4 long balls and attempted 8 or so... 1 pick was close(nice pass, exellent play by the S) the other was on a broken play that should have been a sack anyway.

you're right

Originally posted by Dol-Fan Dupree

we need a 4 receiver set and play action. our offense right now is flat we look dull and have no life. i cant beleive we dont throw in more play action with a back like ricky, where was the reverse? let the fullback run 1 or 2 (even though rob was out) mix it up, it's not that hard, good coatches like bilichek will figure us out. we also need to block, it might help. derius couldn't help the int, it was tipped b4 he got his hands on it i like what i saw from derius today. different formations will be good, a 4 receiver set will take an extra guy or 2 out the box. defense is very good, not great yet but very good. offense needs some life and norv's not living up to his high expectations

I agree Panzer but there are enough people blaming Norv. He's running out of options at the goal line. The Draw he used two weeks in a row and the reverse as well. So this week he says we're going to throw more long balls. Way to announce your plan to everyone. This week he cant go to the QB draw or reverse because everyone is already calling him predictable so he goes to the Quick Full Back draw that loses two yards on 2nd and short and costs us a TD and those 4 points are the differeenfce in the game. Everyone is seeing through Norv the fans aren't missing it and the D cordinators certainly aren't either.

Jay made some nice throws but he also missed wide open recievers again.

The plays are there, as they've always been.

MUST EXECUTE THE ****ING THINGS!

With a struggling offensive line would it be smart to go into a 4 wr set?

Originally posted by XoPhinsoX

yes i agree. i think jay missed 3 passes that he should have completed... most QB do do this. but when you're in 3rd and long you can't expect perfection.

why not go 4 WR? make one 1 route a saftey pass for a just incase situation. the blockers can;t block a defense who knows whats commig. spreading the D out would be fine IMO. as long as it's in shotgun anyway...

It seems like when Jay sees an open reciever he gets all excited and ****s the pass up. He can make the difficult throws almost but when people are open he gets jumpy and just like wings the damn thing out there.

Originally posted by XoPhinsoX

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Good call phinsox.

You can't call plays your team has shown no ability to execute.
Jay has enough problems making his reads with 3 receivers let alone if you put another into the mix. Add that to the offensive line problems which will only become worse in a 4 WR set then you've got all the makings for turnover central!

You need lemons to make lemonade. Norv is limited to trying to make lemonade out of a dry Fiedler fruit.

Back
Top Bottom