"Norv's Expectations" | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"Norv's Expectations"

This article makes me all tingly inside... I want to drive home and go to bed and not wake up until preseason... Sort of an offseason Rip Van Winkle kind of thing...

"I'd love to see us have a guy rush for 1,500, 1,600, 1,700 or 1,800 yards," Turner said on the eve of the first minicamp. "I think we can have a couple of 1,000-yard receivers. And I think we can have a tight end that catches 50 balls.
not sure about the dueling 1000 yard wideouts...but getting McMicharl 50 catches is something we should shoot for as well as getting Chambers well more than 1000

Yeah Chambers says his goal this year is 80 catches. The FO says they will definately work on helping him achieve his goal, and possibly make it higher. I don't know why some of you think that's IMPOSSIBLE. In 2001, he played all 16 games. In 2002, he played 15 games. So if he plays 16 games this year, all it would take is 5 catches a game. Before he was hurt, he averaged around 4.5 catches a game. Now of course as experience improves, a young player improves. So I don't think 80 is NEAR to out of his reach.. Really, all it takes is 2-4 huge games, and 3-4 catches per game in the rest..

I like Norv's positive thinking, but two 1,000 yard receivers is going a little overboard. We gotta work on getting one first. The other goals should definetly be acheivable.:jetssuck:

Someone else on the WR-TE crew will have to step up to help Chambers. He will not have these stats if he's the only the opposing defense "respect".

I don't think it is impossible for Chambers to get 80 catches, I am just willing to take a "I believe it when I see it," approach. ;)

It's not impossible for Chambers to get 80 ctaches this coming season but it'll be hard to believe til it happens because Fiedler will have so many options to throw to whether it is Chambers, McMichael, Ricky out of the backfield, Konrad, Lee, Thompson and so on... the main thing is the the offense keeps getting first downs... I don't give a flyin poop shoot if Chambers reaches those numbers... as long as this team as a whole dominates on both sides of the ball...

HOORAH:drinker:

Originally posted by RUDEAWAKERZ2354
It's not impossible for Chambers to get 80 ctaches this coming season but it'll be hard to believe til it happens because Fiedler will have so many options to throw to whether it is Chambers, McMichael, Ricky out of the backfield, Konrad, Lee, Thompson and so on... the main thing is the the offense keeps getting first downs... I don't give a flyin poop shoot if Chambers reaches those numbers... as long as this team as a whole dominates on both sides of the ball...

HOORAH:drinker:

I hear that :eat:

Chambers will get his 80+ catches if he stays healthy. No one will have to help Chambers. Our system will make him the go-to guy. When he is covered the QB will be instructed to check down to the next target. But, we will force the opposing defense to pay serious attention to #84. That will be what makes the passing game click. Get the ball to Chambers early and often.

The #2 Receiver on the team will NOT be a WR. It will likely be Ricky Williams by design. I expect him to improve his reception total from 47 to the 60+ range. We didn't seriously start using Ricky in the passing game until our 4th game. Ricky only had 4 receptions total in his first 3 games last season.

James McKnight should do his part w/ about 45 receptions. He will probably remain our main 3rd down chain mover as he was in 2001. It will be more realistic to expect about 800 yards of production...especially if he keeps averaging 18 yards per catch.

McMichael should be getting open a lot in the middle of the field and at least be the #3 leading target in total receptions.

And Konrad will get whatever is left-over.

clear.gif

Originally posted by Dol_Fan5434
what about Lee, Thompson, and Tolver??? dont forget about Dyer... DAMN, WE HAVE A LOT OF WEAPONS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dyer? I dunno bout any of that. He may not even make the team this year. He has to beat out Femi 1st, and even if he does he's not exactly known for anything more than blocking. With Konrad signed to his new long term contract Dyer is nothing more than bench dressing.

Oliver...

Originally posted by PhinstiGator
Chambers will get his 80+ catches if he stays healthy. No one will have to help Chambers. Our system will make him the go-to guy. When he is covered the QB will be instructed to check down to the next target. But, we will force the opposing defense to pay serious attention to #84. That will be what makes the passing game click. Get the ball to Chambers early and often.

The #2 Receiver on the team will NOT be a WR. It will likely be Ricky Williams by design. I expect him to improve his reception total from 47 to the 60+ range. We didn't seriously start using Ricky in the passing game until our 4th game. Ricky only had 4 receptions total in his first 3 games last season.

James McKnight should do his part w/ about 45 receptions. He will probably remain our main 3rd down chain mover as he was in 2001. It will be more realistic to expect about 800 yards of production...especially if he keeps averaging 18 yards per catch.

McMichael should be getting open a lot in the middle of the field and at least be the #3 leading target in total receptions.

And Konrad will get whatever is left-over.

clear.gif

You make a good point about RW being our #2 receiver. However, I think Thompson beats out McKnight for the #2 WR position, leaving McKnight to come in and play in the 3-wide formation (barring another WR acquisition, naturally). I think Thompson and McMichael will get a comparable number of receptions and TDs, but Thompson will get far more yards.

I think Norv's expectations are very grandeous, considering he's using a QB that's only and less then a handful of 300 yard passing games. Love his optimism and am excited to see if he can do it but.......

If you look at Troy's, or B. Johnson numbers, there great years did not happen until the second year in Norvs system..So I would say look out, because I truly believe our Jay has better weapons to work with..Can anyone remember in early parts of last year Chris Berman was comparing our Offense to the Cowboys Offense of the '90's. So if Jay stays healthy all of those numbers will be within reach..

Back
Top Bottom