Not Happy with Dave's Comments | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Not Happy with Dave's Comments

danephin

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I watched the press conference, and Mr. Optimistic tried to paint this as not that big of a deal. I understand he can't come out and say, "Holy Sh$t, we're screwed! Just forget about this year!" But he actually compared losing Ricky to losing Brent Smith. He reminds me of another shady politician who can never tell it like it is. "We have plenty of depth," he says. Give me a break. Travis Minor and Leonard Henry are not depth. They're barely capable backups. I want him to come out and say, "We're going to be aggressive and make a move, and keep the running game as a strength of this team." That would give the fans some hope and confidence. We cannot make it through this season with what we have now. No way. And if Dave is trying to sell that crap, I sure ain't buying it.

The other teams have us over a barrel in a potential trade already. A public committment to 'being aggressive and making a move' would make that even worse.

I think it was a good press conferece. His job is to minimize the damage. He didn't take it personally. He deflected some questions to RW that only Williams can answer. And he said they are always looking for potential upgrades at any position. Expecting anyhting beyond that would be, IMHO, unreasonable.

danephin said:
I watched the press conference, and Mr. Optimistic tried to paint this as not that big of a deal. I understand he can't come out and say, "Holy Sh$t, we're screwed! Just forget about this year!" But he actually compared losing Ricky to losing Brent Smith. He reminds me of another shady politician who can never tell it like it is. "We have plenty of depth," he says. Give me a break. Travis Minor and Leonard Henry are not depth. They're barely capable backups. I want him to come out and say, "We're going to be aggressive and make a move, and keep the running game as a strength of this team." That would give the fans some hope and confidence. We cannot make it through this season with what we have now. No way. And if Dave is trying to sell that crap, I sure ain't buying it.
What do you want Dave to do? Go public with the fact Minor, Morris, Henry, and Russel stink? That will do a lot of good and win over his team!

We all know Miami doesn't have a #1 Running Back on their roster. We all know they need to go find someone. Going public and bashing the guys already on thsi team at that position woudl have done no good.

Wannstedt was fine at the press conference. Speilman scared me though. Don't you think being the GM he should know the rule of what happens when a player retires and wants back in? I mean he had all day till 4pm to find out and at the press conference he didn't know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HELLO, YOU ARE THE GM! YOU BETTER KNOW AND HE SHOULD HAVE FOUND OUT ASAP AFTER HE FOUND OUT RICKY RETIRED!!!!!

I'm not happy with Dave either. When they asked him if he would open up the offense a little more now, he basically said 'No way'. We going to try that 3 yards and a cloud of dust with or without a running back. :shakeno:

danephin said:

Give me a break. You're twisting the man's words up.

What he meant (and spelled out) was, they have experience losing a key offensive component very early in the season. And they have to approach it the same way.

Also, he did say that they will not be changing the offense. They'll make adjustments. But they're not changing.

Part of it is, it does him no good to tip his hand at all.

Yeah, the kind of coach I would want is the kind who would have said "We're screwed." You know ..... a motivator. :shakeno:

FinsOnTop said:
I'm not happy with Dave either. When they asked him if he would open up the offense a little more now, he basically said 'No way'. We going to try that 3 yards and a cloud of dust with or without a running back. :shakeno:
Did you want him to give away the whole gameplan as well? Look Im no huge Wannstedt fan, but bashing him for what he said today at the press conference is a JOKE!!!!

danephin said:
And another thing......Dave has no say in personal moves anymore. Spielman does. For Dave to say that they will be agressive and make a move would be unwise and steeping over his boundries.

Sure he has say in what Miami does personal wise, but its not his call anymore.

MikeO said:
Did you want him to give away the whole gameplan as well? Look Im no huge Wannstedt fan, but bashing him for what he said today at the press conference is a JOKE!!!!

Whose bashing him? I'm just saying he will not make any adjustments because of this. He can't. He just wants to run and is going to force it down our throats until he's canned.

Muck said:
Give me a break. You're twisting the man's words up.

What he meant (and spelled out) was, they have experience losing a key offensive component very early in the season. And they have to approach it the same way.

Also, he did say that they will not be changing the offense. They'll make adjustments. But they're not changing.

Part of it is, it does him no good to tip his hand at all.
AGREE 100% I THINK DAVE SAID ALL THE RIGHT THINGS HE LOOKD PISSED BUT NEVER BASHED RICKY.WHAT HE DID SAY WAS THAT HE LEFT HIS TEAMATES HI AND DRY.HE LOOKED JUST AS STUNNED AS US FANS I FOR ONE DO BELIEVE TRAVIS CAN GET IT DONE!!!! :D

You know I was a little skeptical when Wanny said that Ricky didn't miss any practices. So, I looked up some of the training camp reports and found that Ricky did miss camp on June 1st (just go back to finflurry's camp report from June 1st). It was a very telling report because well, Ricky wasn't there. I guess Wanny forgot to mention it today at the conference. Hmm must be a minor oversight.

In all honesty though, its all hind sight. So, you don't have to tell me so (but I know you will).

i thought dave did a good job. he said what everybody needs to hear, which is that they will dust themselves off and go to work on friday. obviously he has personal feelings about what happened but he's a class guy and he's not gonna dog ricky on nat'l tv.

"We have alot of depth at every position...we may have to tweak our offensive plan..." TWEAK our offensive plan??????????? :rolleyes:

i agree

dave tried putting a positive PR spin on the whole situation. yeah he cant come out saying "damn this is a huge **** storm". but i think everyone can tell that he is making a small issue of a huge problem. its part of his job. the problem i had w/ the interview was that he said he would stick to his football philosophy of running the ball.

one thing i do know is that this event just shows miami's ineptitude in the front office. a Marino replacement should have been drafted soon after Marino's retirement. But then we wouldnt have been able to get ricky then? well look how well that turned out. and good RB's are easy to get. a good QB is different. now the team is put in a position where they need to rebuild their offense while minding to an aging defense. if all goes well we may be back on track in a few years. but judging from miami's history, the next few years will be just a series of quick fixes that will lead the dolphins to anti-climatic seasons.

Back
Top Bottom