Not Panic, just Logic and Facts | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Not Panic, just Logic and Facts

GreenMonster said:
Ty Law isn't overrated but if you use Madden as your measuring stick you need to watch more football.

clearly, you missed the joke in point... nevermind...

Lee2000 said:
We will sign other corners just to practice if for no other reason. I think the so called panic you guys point to that are not alarmed is panic to an extent, but not completely unfounded. Not many on this board are very confident with Edwards and Howard. This exposed that lack of confidence in a big way. Now there will be a need for both. One will likely have to start. That is a less than comforting thought.

Lee2000

Is Howard that bad that he can't be a one year starter ? I know that he want worth the contract dumb$$$ signed him too, but isn't he decent ? I honestly did not notice him enough last year to judge him, but he was a starter for Carolina ?

PressCoverage said:
one thing i will apologize for... was dissing Howard.... he is a capable corner, and if we get to the quarterback in 3-4 seconds on every play anyway, do we NEED two pro bowlers at corner?

This was the point that I was trying to make in another thread on this subject. It appears as though Saban is trying to build a defense that can and will get consistent pressure on the QB. Too many times in the past our pass rush has been non-existent or at the very least inconsistent. With constant pressure up front, we shouldn't need pro-bowl CBs.

Having said that, I still think the Surtain trade was a good one (as much as I hated to see Patrick go). Saban wants to build for the future. Rick seems to expect Roth to be part of that future. With over 70% of our cap space tied up on the defensive side of the ball last season, we knew that some sacrifices would have to be made in order to build an offense. I think Saban has done a great job in improving the offense (both in personel and coaching additions) while not neutering the defense.

While I hate to see Poole go down, I am not worried at all about our current situation. Saban knows what he's doing. He'll deal with this as he sees fit.

As posted earlier, I don't think many here are accepting Daniels worth yet. Of course I could be wrong, but I have a very strong feeling that he could be our starting corner opposite Madison. As said, he knows the schemes. If he can handle the physical nature of the game there shouldn't be any doubt he knows what he is doing out there...if he can physically run as fast as needed, or is as physically strong as is needed to match up...there is no way Daniels shouldn't be ahead of Howard or Edwards, or maybe even Madison, mentally.

howard played well in big games for carolina. it was he who picked that ill advised brady paa down on the goaline in the superbowl, setting up carlolina's tying score i believe. hes just not a man press kind of corner, ill suited to bates schemes, a much better fit for sabans zones approach. also on the daniels not, wasnt he in the 4.65 range, much better suited towards the free saftey position, from what ive heard thus far...

Some say "Poole was unproven, so why should we worry?" I say we should worry because by losing Surtain & Poole just in the past few weeks, our cornerback depth has been significantly reduced. The last few seasons, our strength has been our secondary. That's now gone.

Secondly, losing someone so promising so early to an ACL injury has been the Dolphins's albatross for a while now. Remember going into a new season full of promise and then losing Yatil Green, or Brent Smith, or Mark Dixon? After losing those guys, we just waited for the other shoe to drop, and it almost certainly did.

Ok Ok you talked me into it. I will go play CB for the Fins this coming season. I warn you I run the 40 in 7.5s though, but I hit like a Mack truck in park.

j/k :D

Back
Top Bottom