"Now batting, Jeff Ireland" | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"Now batting, Jeff Ireland"

Hayden Fox

Is it Sunday yet?
Club Member
Reaction score
Is Jeff Ireland still swinging for the fences or his looking to put the ball in play? I will settle for him simply moving a runner at this point.

In all seriousness, noon today waiver claims will be awarded from yesterday. From there, I expect the opening day roster to take shape in the next 24 to 48 hours. Should be a fun day with the first Saturday of college football and the roster jockeying that I assume is to come.

Lastly, I do not blame the baseball analogy on Ireland. I blame Adam Beasley that is slowly becoming very Omar K. like.

BTW, great job to all that contributed to the site yesterday adding names of various players cut from the Fins are around the league. Props to all. It was one stop shopping for me. Much appreciation.

If he doesn't want to sacrifice himself by moving the runner over, I'd much prefer a permanent pinch hitter.

Is Jeff Ireland still swinging for the fences or his looking to put the ball in play? I will settle for him simply moving a runner at this point.

In all seriousness, noon today waiver claims will be awarded from yesterday. From there, I expect the opening day roster to take shape in the next 24 to 48 hours. Should be a fun day with the first Saturday of college football and the roster jockeying that I assume is to come.

Lastly, I do not blame the baseball analogy on Ireland. I blame Adam Beasley that is slowly becoming very Omar K. like.

BTW, great job to all that contributed to the site yesterday adding names of various players cut from the Fins are around the league. Props to all. It was one stop shopping for me. Much appreciation.

I think its safe to say he struck out at this point.

I have to say he does wiff alot but, he has batted decently up to this point.

How about he be sent down to the minors....

Agree 100%. Like anything it's imperfect, but this really is a great sports forum with a lot of educated posters who by-and-large are civil. As for yesterday and this weekend, I don't remember a cut down period that had me so plugged in. Surprising, considering how bad our Fins are, but it's obviously because of the uncertainty. Like you, I'll settle for Ireland moving the run over. To hit the ball out of the park, you have to get a pitch you can hit. Has he really gotten that in the last week? His obvious failures preceded this week.

At this point, I think Adam beasley was the one swinging for the fence, not Ireland...

At this point, I think Adam beasley was the one swinging for the fence, not Ireland...

Exactly. Only thing Ireland said was that the picks gave him more ammunition in case he did want to make a move.

Back in 1927, Babe Ruth got paid more than the president, Calvin Coolidge, for solidly connecting on a mere 60 pitches sending those balls over the fence to establish a new HR record. What's lost in all this is that in 1927 he also lead the league in strikeouts (as he did in '18, '23, '24, and '28).

Few realize that or care; they remember The Sultan of Swat's epic 60 swings of the bat out of a whole season.

And that's the point with Ireland. If you're gonna spray the field with singles and doubles, you need to have a high BA; if you're gonna hit home runs, a lot of whiffs are forgivable in that context. Unfortunately Jeff has hit no homeruns and his BA or on base percentage is not particularly impressive either. :idk:

/Vaark's Interesting Fact du Jour Signing Off

270914_Combs_Ruth_Meusel_2-1.jpeg

Attachments

• 270914_Combs_Ruth_Meusel_2.jpeg
    270914_Combs_Ruth_Meusel_2.jpeg
    78.8 KB · Views: 8
691 plate app, and struck out 89 times, i'll take that with a .356 BA and 164 RBI.

ummm different era, 1 homer every 9 ABs, 1 SO every 6ABs....good enough for the record where he'd be considered a bum if those 60 hits were singles and doubles back in the day....but that's not the point.. but carry on

Babe Ruth struck out 1,330 times in his amazing major league baseball career. A high total of strikeouts for his era as the Babe lead the league 5 times in strikeouts but a number which only ranksBabe Ruth 95th today in all-time strikeouts.In his career Babe Ruth had 8,399 official at bats. So he struck out 15.8% of the time per at bat. For comparison purposes the career leader in strikeouts is Reggie Jackson who struck out 2,597 times.Reggie had 9,864 at bats in his career so his strikeout average is 26.3%. That is a 67% higher strikeout rate than Babe Ruth.
Strikeouts are a much bigger part of baseball today than they were during Babe Ruth's time. In 1927 the average hitter in the American League struck out 8.1% of the time per at bat. In 2010 in the American League the average hitter struck out 19.6% of the time per at bat. So players today strikeout 142% more often than they did in 1927.
Babe Ruth lead the league in strikeouts in 1927 with 89 in 540 at bats. So his strikeout ratio in 1927 was 16.5%. That was the year the Babe hit 60 home runs
http://voices.yahoo.com/how-many-times-did-babe-ruth-strikeout-7042980.html

Back
Top Bottom