O-Linemen Drafted By Fins Since 1993 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

O-Linemen Drafted By Fins Since 1993

BSQX4

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Starting with the most recent draft on down through the years proves that we can't hit on an O-Lineman to save our lives. Here's the list: Taylor Whitley, Tim Provost, Wade Smith, Shawn Draper, Seth McKinney, Brandon Winey, Grey Ruegamer, Todd Wade, Joe Wong, Jim Bundren, Scott Shaw, Brent Smith, Jerome Danials, Jeff Buckey, Billy Milner, Andrew Greene and Chris Grey. What a bunch of failures! Of the whole list only Todd Wade is a true starter and IMO his game gets worse each year. If were not looking to replace him we should be. Wade Smith should be on the bench until he's ready but we had to throw him into the fire way too early. I hope we don't destroy a kids confidence. Seth McKinney, I don't see the value yet. I'm lukewarm on this guy as the center of the future. I wonder why our O-Line stinks!!!

actually Chris Grey is a solid starter for Seattle ;) we went he cheap FA route for our OL instead of getting starters via the draft, i.e. Perry, Nails, Folau, Spriggs, Gogan.

If you notice, the only 1st round OL pick was Billy Milner - that was in the Shula era and Shula, at that point, was a lousy drafter of talent.

Given the deficiencies on the OL, we should have been drafting higher on occasion.

We also did a bad job of drafting as you note. Chris Grey was poor and really has been mediocre. Seattle doesn't have a great OL - but Grey is playing with some good talent. You can always afford to plug in one guy who is decent if you have two or three great players.

Another factor is coaching. Tony Wise is NOT a good OL coach! He's a Wannstedt crony - Dave never should have let Paul B. go. Or, they should have coaxed the Denver OL coach out of retirement a few years ago - pay him 500 grand to come back.

That's the downside of having the winningest franchise since 1970 : late round picks.

The franchise players are long gone when it's your turn to draft.

Richmond Webb and Keith Simms were two of the best O line picks we ever had in my opinion. At least that I can remember recently. They had Marino's back for many many years. They just got old and had to retire.

I think it's a sad commentary that they are even considering bringing Webb back. How desperate is this team?

And for those of you who were crying for them to cut Royals, consider looking at Turks stats versus Royals. We've actually regressed in the punter department. But you know that already didn't you?

Originally posted by baracuda
And for those of you who were crying for them to cut Royals, consider looking at Turks stats versus Royals.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that Turk has pinned down a lot more punts inside the 20.

And for those of you who were crying for them to cut Royals, consider looking at Turks stats versus Royals. We've actually regressed in the punter department. But you know that already didn't you?

The stats don't bear out in this case. There is absolutely no question that Turk has kicked better than Royals. All you have to do is watch the games.

Back to the topic, we haven't spent a lot of high draft picks on the OL. Mostly 5th and 7th rounders, as we have gone the FA route to get our guys. And I don't see Tim Ruddy anywhere on that list. Quite a glaring ommission.

Good call, DaFins, on Tony Wise. He and Keith Armstrong are both Wannstedt cronies and are both simply NOT getting the job done. The O-Line is the Achilles' heel of this team and Special Teams are not playing at the level they were under Coach Westhoff. More braindead garbage from Wannstedt. All Dave can say is that,"from the standpoint of that standpoint we've got to clean things up in the area of that standpoint and do more in the passing game." Now that's tough to argue with! On a positive note, IMO this offense is much more fun to watch with Brian under center. If given time he's the type of Q.B. that just picks teams apart, not too unlike his Dad.

Only is regressed if you don't know what stats are important for a punter friend. Turk has done a nice job placing the ball......in fact he's had 2-3 punts inside the 10 in the last 2 games.

:goof:

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Muck
Back to the topic, we haven't spent a lot of high draft picks on the OL. Mostly 5th and 7th rounders, as we have gone the FA route to get our guys. And I don't see Tim Ruddy anywhere on that list. Quite a glaring ommission.

LOL

I didn't even bother to bring it up Muck!

Originally posted by BSQX4
Good call, DaFins, on Tony Wise. He and Keith Armstrong are both Wannstedt cronies and are both simply NOT getting the job done. The O-Line is the Achilles' heel of this team and Special Teams are not playing at the level they were under Coach Westhoff. More braindead garbage from Wannstedt. All Dave can say is that,"from the standpoint of that standpoint we've got to clean things up in the area of that standpoint and do more in the passing game." Now that's tough to argue with! On a positive note, IMO this offense is much more fun to watch with Brian under center. If given time he's the type of Q.B. that just picks teams apart, not too unlike his Dad.

Dave says "Obviously" alot more than he uses any other phrase.

So he's not a polished speaker like Shula or JJ, who cares?

If you are saying Armstrong and Wise arent doing a good job I'd like to know where you are getting this from? Do you go to team meetings? Do you go to the practices each day? How about the coaches meetings? How is it that you know the players arent to blame? What scheme is being used and what is the problem with it?

I'd like to hear your specific points on how these guys are not doing a good job? If you don't know all the answers to these questions then you might not want to call the Fins staff "braindead" and say their work and thoughts are "garbage". If you don't know the answers to these questions you aren't qualified to assess anything other than how to turn on your TV and watch. Quit tearing down our staff to give your comments strength. Your words hold no water.

- If your problem is with the technique they are teaching, please explain
- If your problem is with something you see them teaching as a mental fundemental please explain

If your problem is with what you see on the field....explain how it's the coaches, not the players faults.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tony Wise seemed to do a pretty good job of making Jimmy's Dallas line dominant. But is he "that bad"?? Or are our lineman "that bad"?? I don't think our lineman are that great. But I couldn't tell you what kind of coach Wise is today. So to everyone who says Wise is a bad coach, educate me (seriously).

EXACTLY

Originally posted by Muck
Tony Wise seemed to do a pretty good job of making Jimmy's Dallas line dominant. But is he "that bad"?? Or are our lineman "that bad"?? I don't think our lineman are that great. But I couldn't tell you what kind of coach Wise is today. So to everyone who says Wise is a bad coach, educate me (seriously).

Please educate us as to specifically why Coach Wise is a poor coach. Please also include your level of professional training, Super Bowls (I'm assuming if you are critcizing a guy with Super Bowl Wins you have more yourself), etc....

Please give us a breakdown of wht he is doing wrong. Is it a technique he is using? Please explain.

Is it the keys he is teaching?...please explain.

Everyone was praising Tony Wise last year because of what he did with a suspect oline. Now he's a scum ?

And the same thing can be said about Turner too...

Back
Top Bottom