OBJ To Sign With Phins From Ian Rappaport | Page 31 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

OBJ To Sign With Phins From Ian Rappaport

the whole construct is absurd. so if we signed a WR for $1mm, who sucks, the question would be which OL could we sign for $1mm? the relevant question is we have a certain amount of total dollars to spend, what is the best way to deploy it. your feeble and condescending attempt at retorting is illogical and irrelevant, and not nice. so i am responding in kind. have a nice day
Your argument(s???) doesn't make sense.

"There's no such thing as opportunity cost. Opportunity costs are real" would make more sense.

Probably not, but at least you are willing to admit it.
Getting the 2 WRs did make me think the OBJ was not going to happen. I know unless your are a top tier pick at the WR position it's a tough nut to crack in your 1st season as a Rookie learning the schemes. The OBJ pickup might be a good decision regarding bringing the Rookies up to speed.

I don't believe this for a minute... not a second.

These 'stats' are laughable.

There is more to a 'contested catch' than can be captured by a statistic. Large receivers drive CBs off and catch balls that your 'statistic' would not measure, because whichever pointy headed, tin-foil hat wearing metric king who was trying to quantify this wouldn't see two sets of hands within 6 inches of one another.

Reducing a large, fast receivers to JUST players who fought for a poorly thrown ball? C'mon now. A talented ACURATE QB throws a ball to the side that favors the big man. Stats nerds won't call this a 'contested catch'.
IMO it's b/c when people get bigger it's tougher to have great body control. Obviously there are exceptions, but they are few. As a result you don't get that bump in the ability to make contested catches some here expect just b/c a player is bigger. There are other factors of course, how fast somebody jumps, tracking the ball, etc., but IMO that body control is a big part of it. The sweet spot seems to be in that 6'0"- 6'2" range. That group statistically is the best at contested catches. But above and below that, the stats are pretty even and have been for a long time.

What's laughable is people trying to judge how good a receiver is based on one metric, height. Reality is that it takes many factors. Assuming that a player will be better at contested catches just b/c he's taller has been proven wrong many times.

You’re telling me that Mark Duper at 5’9” in his day was as good or better than Harold Carmichael at 6’7”? What’s the definition of a contested catch? That’s the part you have to look at. Smaller guys aren’t going up over defenders to high point balls over taller defenders as well as big guys do. Devontae Parker - for all the things he didn’t do well - was quite good at going up high to places that Hill or Waddle just can’t climb to. I don’t need the stats to know that. I saw it live and up close several times. Or the ability to box out a defender on a curl and not let the guy come over the top to knock the ball away - the bigger guys have an advantage.
Looking at one example and thinking that's representative of entire class is why people don't understand statistics. People base their opinions on perceptions rather facts.

Here's a list of the contested catch percentage leaders for 2023:

Looking at all the WRs above 50% you end up with
5 below 6'0'
8 6'0"-6'1"
4 above 6'3"

If you look back at previous years you find similar percentages. It's the difference between perception and facts.

Even your example of Devante Parker is skewed by perception over facts. He was at 60% in 2023 but most years he's below 50/50 on contested catches. Last I saw his career percentage was just 51.6%. He had a couple of 60% seasons that edged his overall average up, but most seasons he's below average. You may perceive that he was quite good at making contested catches, but reality is that despite some highlight games, overall, he wasn't.

Serious question: Does Miami lose a compensatory pick as a result of OBJ?

Forgive me if its a dumb question. I'm not so good at stuff.
Any players we add going forward this off-season will not factor into the compensatory formula.

Back
Top Bottom