Of Campbell and Why "Dominating" is Important | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Of Campbell and Why "Dominating" is Important

Ghambit

Practice Squad
Reaction score
So, Campbell's philosophy (and the man himself) has a special place for me. We're the same age. He's a mid 90's football player. I played ball then as well. Back then, Football was at its peak ferocity imo, which forced a lot of changes at the NFL on down to pee-wee league; softening the game (practices even). It's not the same game anymore, not even close. Campbell? Even though he's young, is still a Gen-X player. He brings that former mentality to the game as a coach and former player. Also, Campbell is a carbon-copy of my HS Coach. We bled nails for that guy and produced what is still thought of as the best public school program in the history of Broward County (so. Florida); though we never won state, for "reasons." (basically our OC was an imbecile and preferred stats for his best players over winning). More perspective; this was done in a school that was known for academics, in the same district as the #1 High School program in the COUNTRY. That's how important guys like Campbell can be to a team.

People say it seems like Campbell would run through a brick wall for his team? My coach literally did that. Like, literally. You didn't cross him and you'd do anything for him and vice versa. Was the most intense and player-dedicated individual I've ever known, and he replaced one of the most successful ADs in county history as HC of the team. He was a scary good coach and definitely not an "X's and O's" guy.

Anyways, there are very few HC's in the league (probably NONE really) like Campbell. It's an up-and-coming pedigree.

Now, that said, more scientifically, why is it MOST important to dominate?? Well, team value and growth, that's why. The conservative mindset doesnt work; period. Teams like the pats do well because they always go for the jugular. The value of each and every one of their players is high due to high quality film and stats. They get a lot of reps in garbage time for their bench players also. They instill a desire to always win and win big. As a player, you get used to that... you crave it and will do whatever it takes to get that feeling every week.

What this does at the FO level is give the team flexibility. With high player value comes easier trades, better value for capspace, along with a culture that attracts the good players and teaches the up-and-comers. It's more important than sucking for a good draft pick. I've never believed in sucking for draft picks, for that reason. You just flat out get more for just having good players with good stats. Being "aggressive" and dominating your opponent, even in a loss, is the key to that. Behind-the-scenes, you get more facetime on national TV... more spots on sportsTalk, and so forth. The owner gains more revenue, people buy more jersies, people fill the stands, which feeds back into the team. Even. In. Loss.

So my philosophy for this season? Be a scary good team even if we lose and don't make the playoffs. That is of utmost importance to the future of this team. And if we can achieve that? Likely with an 8-8 or 9-7 record? You have to keep Campbell.

Nice write up. Agree that the game has softened from how it was in the 90's and prior. Agree that you want to dominate and not let up. We've had such passive, loser coaches around here for too long. I know I don't have to worry about Dan nutting up in a big spot.

Back
Top Bottom