Of Dolphins TEs | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Of Dolphins TEs

dolphan39

Maria & LauRen Aha!
Reaction score
Vikings | Agree With Goodwin - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)
4:48 PT: Chris Perkins reports for the Sun-Sentinel the Minnesota Vikings apparently have struck a long discussed deal with free agent TE Hunter Goodwin (Miami). Goodwin's contract is believed close to $525,000, but the Vikings will guarantee the salary.

Dolphins | Concerned Over Mayes - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)
4:45 PT: Chris Perkins and Alex Marvez report for the Sun-Sentinel the Miami Dolphins are concerned with TE Alonzo Mayes' weight. He reported to to the start of the team's off-season workouts well over his listed weight of 260 pounds, according to an NFL source. Mayes reportedly is in the 290+ range. The team is now reportedly strongly weighing whether to address the TE position with their first overall pick in the third round of this weekend's NFL Draft. "We’re looking at tight ends," Dolphins coach Dave Wannstedt said Thursday. "This is a good draft for tight ends."

Dolphins | Police And Courts - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)
4:38 PT: The Miami Herald reports Miami Dolphins RB Ricky Williams was in New Orleans on Thursday to pay a fine stemming from his reckless driving and speeding arrest in February. He was also issued an arrest warrant Wednesday for "failure to appear." A Dolphins official said the situation was resolved.

the Mayes situation totally sucks :fire: - the guy has done nothing for us, which leads me to believe that TE is now as almost as big a priority as OL if not biggers since we need a starter if Jed cannot prove to be a reliable blocker.

It would be nice if the Dolphins could land a TE... this years draft is so deep with them it is almost a shame if we didtn get one this year. We wouldnt want to have to get one via FA.
How about Tim Stratton in the seventh? He is reliable, knows how to get open, quick for a big guy. He will need to learn to hold onto the ball though (butter fingers) and block a little better. Last year, CNN picked him as a potential FIRST ROUNDER after the draft. That is when he had Drew Brees passing to him. Then, when Purdue put Brandon Hance in the QB position, it nearly omitted Stratton out of the game. Hance for the most part only threw to one guy. Then, Kyle Orton got put in the QB position at the end of the season and in the final three or four games, Stratton was unstoppable. This guy would be a steal. We might have to use the second fifth round pick to get him. He did get arrested once for a fight in front of a bar which lowered his stock. Plus there was an incident where he got in trouble with the coach for losing his helmet after a football game. The coach told him he couldnt play in the Rose Bowl unless he got it back. He had to put a full page letter in the student newspaper begging for the person who had it to give it back! (he played in the Rose Bowl).

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/tracker/player?id=4301

he w/b a good late, late pick. Strange:
Won All-Big Ten honors in 1999, 2000 and '01 and won the John Mackey Award as the best tight end in the nation in '00

but then the comments:

Summary: Has some potential as a long-snapper. If he can improve his accuracy as a snapper and commitment to work as a player, Stratton could make a team and contribute as a long-snapper and backup tight end.

have him competing with Ed Perry only. :eek:

I guess if he can get over
Is not a big weight-room guy and has not done much to improve his blocking.
this and hit the weight and be taught to block, he's worth a shot, but we really need a new starting TE. So only if we do not take someone w/#1 TE potential

Wow this puts a higher emphasis on TE's thanks to Mayes eating himself into being cut soon. Although even if we don't think any of the 4th round + ( I see us drafting OL first over a TE) will be good enough to start Jay Riemersma should be available soon. I have a feeling he will be a June 1st cut.

Originally posted by VanDolPhan
Wow this puts a higher emphasis on TE's thanks to Mayes eating himself into being cut soon. Although even if we don't think any of the 4th round + ( I see us drafting OL first over a TE) will be good enough to start Jay Riemersma should be available soon. I have a feeling he will be a June 1st cut.
Is Riemersma any better than Weaver ? Weaver is a lot younger, but signing a TE and drafting an OL make sense since everything starts w/the OL

He's only 3 years older then Weaver.

53 receptions for 590 yards

compared to Weavers 18 for 215.

I tend to think Jay over Jed ;) Just over the simple fact that Jay has proven when used he can be an effective outlet for a QB in trouble....and in Buffalo QB's were definately in trouble a lot apparently :lol:

Back
Top Bottom