Of the DRAFTED qb's this season.... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Of the DRAFTED qb's this season....

jfleag61

Active Roster
Reaction score
With the lockout, no off season workouts, and the like, some of the teams that drafted qb's this year also brought in a vet. Kinda like the good ol' days when a rookie was allowed to sit and learn. Most of the qb's drafted in the past decade were "anointed" as the starter as much for money reasons as talent. The thought was "we spent all this money, he starts NOW". With everything that went on this past off season, that changed. So my question is, Who do you think becomes the starting QB first? Newton, Ponder, Gabbert, Locker, Dalton? Also, do you think the new rookie wage scale allows teams the luxury to go back to the "clipboard" days?

for me, I would like it to be Mallett @ NE (because we knocked the snot out of Brady in game 1)

I know, no way rookies can compete with starters

YoungMarino-1.jpg

Dalton is laser accurate
seems like he would have been drafted higher
had he not been labeled a ginger
Drafting can be stupid sometimes
"ireland to sparano"
Should we take Dalton?
I dont know he has red hair!
What QB has been successful with red hair?
Yeah your right lets get a lineman...

YoungMarino-1.jpg

Dan Marino didn't start when the season opened though. It was the 3rd or 4th game when he came off the bench and threw 2 TDs in just over 2 minutes when they decided they needed to get him on the field.

I think Newton starts cause there's no one there worth a crap...Jimmy Clausen, Tony Pike and Derek Anderson are the other QBs.

Dalton is the only other one that has a shot IMO because his only challenger is Bruce Gradkowski. The rest of these QBs will sit.

YoungMarino-1.jpg

I didn't say rookies couldn't compete with starters. I was asking if the new rookie wage scale would allow the drafted QB to sit back and "observe" (if it would help him) rather than the $$ issues play too large a factor in the decision.

Newton will start from Day 1
Hearing people are really happy with Ponder and Dalton.
And yes, the scale will definately give teams less urgency to play Rooks right away. But I am firm beleiver if you have the right staff and the right players around the QB he could start from day1.
Chubbs

Dalton is going to start and is in the perfect system for his talent (Jay Gruden's West Coast Offense). As long as he picks up the offense, he should put up good numbers in that system. Plus, even without TO and OchoCinco, he's got weapons in AJ Green, Andre Caldwell, Jordan Shipley, and Jerome Simpson

Christian Ponder has looked pretty good because McDaniel's offense is a lot like the one he ran under Jimbo Fisher in college so there is less of a learning curve for him.

I've actually heard that Newton has looked decent, but the Panthers still want a vet QB to mentor him.

Jacksonville already loves Gabbert.

Haven't heard much about Locker or Kaepernick.

Have not heard good things about Mallett.

As of right now Newton and Dalton are looking like starters opening day with Dalton having the most competition in Bruce Gradkoski when he's allowed to practice.

Back
Top Bottom