Off-season news | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Off-season news

ONole1

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
I figured I would make a thread that we could just post rumblings rather than making a new one for each one around the NFL.

Raiders fired a sideline reporter that was masquerading as their GM.

I was watching a game of two 8-0 teams in 1998 between #1Tennessee vs #7Arkansas (BCS rankings) known as “The Clint Stoerner Fumble”.

Tennessee had just taken the #1 ranking due to Ohio St. losing the week before.

Tennessee had just lost Peyton Manning to the NFL draft, and running back Jamal Lewis was out for the season due to a knee injury. Yet Tennessee would go on to beat Florida St. for the national championship with Tee Martin at quarterback. But they nearly lost this game to Arkansas - if not for Clint Stoerner’s fumble with Arkansas leading 24-22 with a little over a minute left in the game.

Stoerner tripped over his offensive lineman’s foot as he took the snap from under center, started stumbling trying to catch his balance while holding the football in one hand, and literally just set the ball down on the ground. Billy Ratliff recovered the fumble on what was probably the most bizarre play I’ve ever seen in college football before or since given the circumstances.

Tennessee would drive down the field for the game winning touchdown and escape with an improbable 28-24 win.

Sean McDonough and Terry Donahue were on the call for that game, and Mike Mayock was the sideline reporter. I never would’ve believed it possible that day that the sideline reporter would be hired as the GM of an NFL team. But it happened.

Yeah, one that got a job way over his head. He'll be back as a "draft annalist" soon...

Back
Top Bottom