Offense Players | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Offense Players

CRAZYDOLFAN305

We Are Still Going To The SB
Reaction score
Its accurate in many forms. Norv's offense is base on the life that a particular game takes. Meaning he will utilize the best available options at any given time. We have such a strong wide receiver unit so he will still be tempted in my opinion at time to go 4 and 5 wide. But here's my Depth Chart on how I see thing shaping up For offense.
WR: Chris "C-Murder" Chambers, Orande, James, Ward, Baker, Simmons

TE: Alonzo "Hungry Hippo" Mayes- I think he will suprise alot of people if he can remain healthy. Jed Weaver, Randy McMicheal, and Ed Perry (Long Snaper).

RB: Ricky "Dont Call Me Pretty" Williams, Robert Edwards, Travis Minor and Henry. It would be foolish to let either Robert or Henry go. We need the Depth at running back.

OL: LT: Marcus Spriggs will start.I dont think he deserves enough credit. Brent Smith, LG: Dixon, Nails, Perry. C:Tim Ruddy. Boy! he has alot of motivation going into the season. Seth M. RG: Searcy, Perry. RT: Todd Perry,B.Smith.

K: Olindo "I'm The Real Automatica" Mare.

See the beautiful think is that norv is our coordinator so everyone will be that much better because they will be utilize correctly and appropriately and with some creativity where defenses can key in on us just running and passing to our wide receiver. Now defenses will need to worry about every weapon that we have on the field not just one or two!
:eat:

I disagree with your assessment of Norv's offense. He isn't dictated to in games, he dictates. This is the primary difference between Norv Turner and Chan Gailey. Chan Gailey's offense was, as you describe it, an offense that takes what the defense is giving us. It depends a lot on where the game is going. If the defense is stacking the box, we'll hit the air. If they are not, we still liked our chances of being able to pound Lamar Smith. It wasn't a BAD offense. It was a BAD running game, BAD OL, and BAD RB. Thats not Chan's fault, it was a personnel problem.

Norv is different. His offense is not based on the life of the game, its based on WHAT THE TEAM DOES BEST. I've witnessed it plenty of times in Washington. He keeps the other team off balance by dictating to THEM what to do, and he does it amazingly enough with repetition. The truth of the matter is, and I know probably NOBODY has brought this up before, and for good downright homeristic reasons too, but Norv Turner's offense resembles pretty heavily Kippy Brown's offense. Yes, thats right, Kippy Brown. The problem with Kippy was he was a poor man's Norv Turner. He didn't use enough of the shifts, never got a feel for what plays his team had down and what plays they couldn't run, an he was absolutely HORRIBLE at playcalling during a game. Well Norv, is good at all of those things, but his offensive philosophy is basically the same just with those added skills. Remember that if it could be said that Jimmy Johnson had an offensive philosophy, it would be that you would be able to run the ball even when a team knew you were going to run it, but you just smacked them in the jowls and mowed them down anyway...and this offensive philosophy DERIVED FROM NORV TURNER'S SYSTEM IN DALLAS.

Like I said he dictates to defenses, doesn't let defenses dictate to the offense. I think its riskier than taking what a defense gives, like Chan did, because if you try and dictate to the other team and yet your team is still poor at execution, you're not gonna be able to do it (see Kippy-ball). If I had to give Norv Turner's offense a style I would say a pro-set style with two backs, using the TE as a middle threat, running the ball up the gut an bouncing outside, with not too many spread formations, and WRs who have mostly intermediate and long routes not too many short routes. Also, he dictates to an offense, utilizing shifts when necessary to find out what a defense is doing, and above all he executes the plays which he is most comfortable that our team knows how to execute and execute well, rather than just calling the perfect play for the occasion despite not knowing if the team can execute it.

But I will say that with the WRs present on our roster, and the experience we have using spread formations successfully, Norv will most likely incorporate 3 and 4 WR formations more into the offense.

ckparrothead.............

Originally posted by ckparrothead
I disagree with your assessment of Norv's offense. He isn't dictated to in games, he dictates. This is the primary difference between Norv Turner and Chan Gailey. Chan Gailey's offense was, as you describe it, an offense that takes what the defense is giving us. It depends a lot on where the game is going. If the defense is stacking the box, we'll hit the air. If they are not, we still liked our chances of being able to pound Lamar Smith. It wasn't a BAD offense. It was a BAD running game, BAD OL, and BAD RB. Thats not Chan's fault, it was a personnel problem.

Norv is different. His offense is not based on the life of the game, its based on WHAT THE TEAM DOES BEST. I've witnessed it plenty of times in Washington. He keeps the other team off balance by dictating to THEM what to do, and he does it amazingly enough with repetition. The truth of the matter is, and I know probably NOBODY has brought this up before, and for good downright homeristic reasons too, but Norv Turner's offense resembles pretty heavily Kippy Brown's offense. Yes, thats right, Kippy Brown. The problem with Kippy was he was a poor man's Norv Turner. He didn't use enough of the shifts, never got a feel for what plays his team had down and what plays they couldn't run, an he was absolutely HORRIBLE at playcalling during a game. Well Norv, is good at all of those things, but his offensive philosophy is basically the same just with those added skills. Remember that if it could be said that Jimmy Johnson had an offensive philosophy, it would be that you would be able to run the ball even when a team knew you were going to run it, but you just smacked them in the jowls and mowed them down anyway...and this offensive philosophy DERIVED FROM NORV TURNER'S SYSTEM IN DALLAS.

Like I said he dictates to defenses, doesn't let defenses dictate to the offense. I think its riskier than taking what a defense gives, like Chan did, because if you try and dictate to the other team and yet your team is still poor at execution, you're not gonna be able to do it (see Kippy-ball). If I had to give Norv Turner's offense a style I would say a pro-set style with two backs, using the TE as a middle threat, running the ball up the gut an bouncing outside, with not too many spread formations, and WRs who have mostly intermediate and long routes not too many short routes. Also, he dictates to an offense, utilizing shifts when necessary to find out what a defense is doing, and above all he executes the plays which he is most comfortable that our team knows how to execute and execute well, rather than just calling the perfect play for the occasion despite not knowing if the team can execute it.

Great insightful post.;) I believe you're right in that assesment. That point has never been addressed from what I've seen anyways.:)

Nice assessment Parothead! I was a Cowboy fan when Norv was the OC and haven't been able to put into words what Norvs playcalling style is. Nice Job!

:) :D :)

No problem. I've been attending school in DC for the last 3-4 years and I got a good glimpse of Norv's offense while there, and I also remember the Cowboys offense as well as what was specifically in their playbook from other sources. He did kind of morph a bit in San Diego, it wasn't the same as his Redskins offense or Cowboys offense, but he had a different type of QB too.

Back
Top Bottom