offense??? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

offense???

stan marino

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
offence???

Not to sound doubtful, but it doesnt look good for our offence this year. We have all our o-line coming back from injury. 3 of our top for wr's are injured as of right now. Our tight end situation is up in the air at best. Our fullback has been forgotten for how many years? And then theres Ricky our bright spot. Then u bring in a brand new system. This sounds like a crazy situation to me. Obviously it could really workout or just absolutely fail. Fiedler will pick up the system quick, hes obviously a smart guy(ivy league and all). But what about our top wr's? They are all hurt and not practising. I know training camp hasnt even started yet, but jimmy johnson always tried to keep things going year round to keep everyone up to speed. Isnt that y emmitt smith wrote a letter to all the cowboys about the road to the super bowl starting now? I think even with Ricky we will need to have an exceptional training camp with everyone gelling together, or it will be up to our defence yet again. This isnt meant to sound gloom and doom, but tryin not to be biased. With mcknight and ogden as our top receivers couldnt we grab westbrook or moore for cheap now, and get them in the system? Westbrook would even have prior knowledge of norv's system from washington. Even though we've all been waiting impatiently for the season to start it really isnt that far away. I hope all these question marks work themselves out. I certainly hope that they do. GO PHINS

There may be hope. Reports are that Dixon, who suffered the most serious injury among the OL, and missed the most practice time looks great. Apparently Chambers' ankle has healed, because it's only a sore, not torn, hamstring that's keeping him out now. I've had that also and at his age he should be back soon. Gadsden is a warrior who played through pain for two seasons, so this is nothing new for him. Ward's injury may be the biggest concern. The fullback was not a big part of Gailey's offense, but is supposed to be big in Turner's and Konrad and Dyer haven't missed much practice time. As for the offensive system, it's most important that Fiedler understand it, but like you said he's a pretty bright guy. The rest then have the entire off-season to become accustomed to it. And then there's Ricky. My biggest fear now is that I may haved jinxed us by being so upbeat.

i wasnt trying to bring anyone down or anything. Im just concerned the longer players stay out. Our offence has to gel or it will be up to our defence for the first part of the year again. I hope it all works out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO PHINS

I want all of our starters to miss these mini camps besides Jay. Every year Dave or Jimmy ran these guys rampid all off season and every year we have more injurys than most teams, see the trend? Let our lines and WRs take it easy untill trainging camp, and see if it will help them stay healthy. I don't think conditioning is a concern since 2 weeks trianing in sout Florida is like 5 weeks anywhere else.

I think that in norvs system timing is a huge key. And that if our offence is going to be on the same page they are going to need all the practice they can get under the new system.

"Reports are that Dixon, who suffered the most serious injury among the OL"

Umm...I pretty much thought a torn ACL is more serious than a broken leg even with some soft tissue damage.

My concerns in order of importance:

1. Left Tackle: Brent Smith's been getting beaten easily. Getting beaten is one thing in minicamp, the DE automatically has the advantage with no pads or hitting, but he's been getting beaten A LOT depending on whose reports you listen to. We don't have a viable backup plan either if Brent can't come back strong...and so far we haven't heard of Dixon taking snaps at LT during camp which might help alleviate the situation.
Glimmer of Hope: When pads come on, things can and may change quite drastically for Brent, and he did have enough talent for coaches to entertain benching Richmond Webb in favor of him.

2. Jay Fiedler's ability to adapt to Norv's system. There's a difference between making quick reads, and throwing the ball quickly. The latter may just involve blindly throwing the ball to the "hot" read without even checking...something Jay did numerous times especially in the first half of the season, and something that was a DIRECT source of the massive amounts of INTs. Jay's arm isn't great, and I hear he's having a bit of trouble with accuracy on the out-routes, as well as the backfield dumps....both of which are absolute staples of Norv's passing attack. Having a great arm makes out-routes easy. Considering the amount Jay Fiedler was spoonfed in terms of decision making under Chan Gailey (to the point where teammates started to complain that Jay is a man they oughtta let him make his own decisions like a man), its hard to say how he'll react to Norv's dramatic increase in passing options...it may be a bad reaction (lot more ints).
Glimmer of Hope: Norv turned Gus Frerotte into a pro bowler. Jay Fiedler? Should be easy...nuff said.

3. Larry Chester. Most people would ignore Chester here and put Daryl Gardener as the #3 concern. Not me, Daryl's a warrior, always in excellent shape, is really fast, built for DE anyway, and IMO doesn't have much pressure on him to begin with. Maybe enough hasn't been questioned about Chester though. We know he's great in the weight room. We know he has the ability to have some really good games especially against the run. But he's replacing Daryl Gardener's spot. Daryl Gardener wasn't just a run stuffer, he was a pro bowl caliber passrusher from the DT position as well. TimBo's more of just a load, and only gets penetration once in a while. If Chester's a one dimensional player, that could put undue pressure on the DEs and the secondary. Also have to worry if Chester's going to be all thats advertised against the run. In our system DT is probably the most important position on the defense, and we've just replaced a pro bowler with a guy from the Panthers...to the tune of MAYBE 2 million a year. Concerns anyone? Does me. Not to mention, Chester is coming off the same injury as Dixon, hasn't worked out much yet, and may be slowed down this season as a result.
Glimmer of Hope: If Chester doesn't work out, at the very least we've got Grant and Haley, hopefully both healthy, which when put together with DG at DE, is still a sizable upgrade against the run as opposed to last season for about 10-11 weeks of the year.

TIMBO IS A STUD!!

CARROT TOP!! I agree with most of your accessments except for TIMBO!! TIMBO has been a pro-bowl caliber player since he put on a DOLPHINS uniform!! He is one of the MOST underrated defensive tackles in the game! This guy has been one of the best run stuffers in the NFL in the last 10 years!! He doesn't get the accolades because he doesn't make a big deal when he makes a play and isn't living off his reputation like McGLOCKTEN and RUSSELL!! This guy is better than these two turds but because he is quiet and reserved. He doesn't get the votes to be in the Pro-Bowl! He and GARDNER complement each other at tackle!! When GARDNER went down with his back last season, teams simply double teamed TIMBO!! The RAVENS game especially!!He actually got triple teamed on some occassions!SHULA definately found a diamond in the rough in 94'!! TIM BOWENS was a HUGE signing in the OFFSEASON!! He is quite simply a STUD!!;)

Well I'm not quite THAT emphatic about TimBo but I do fail to see where you are disagreeing with me. All I said was that TimBo does not get pass rush penetration or present a clear threat to the quarterback, whereas Daryl Gardener does. So what that means is we'd be lining up two run stuffer guys next to each other with Chester and TimBo...actually 3 if you count Daryl Gardener.

Maybe this means we'll finally follow through and blitz Derrick Rodgers.

Hopefully with the addition of RW that will take some pressure off our WR's. I see teams stacking the box to stop the run more than ever. Jay and the WR's have to step up.

I think they stepped up pretty well in 2001. Teams stacked the box against us to take away the run, and they did take away any semblance of a rushing attack, and yet we consistently beat them through the air. We scored a fair amount of points with absolutely no rushing game and no legitimate pro bowl caliber WRs, TEs, or FBs.

Im not sure that was consistently true carrot. The san fran game they stopped our offence pretty much dead. Same as the rams, raiders we had one good drive(they were in prevent though not in the box). We prayed on the weaker teams like the colts, bills, patriots(still think they fluked) True we never had any probowlers, but we never really made anyone unstack the box either. So i dont think we were that successful passing.

That's where I think Norv's Offense will help us..When teams only had to worry about the receivers beating them,,I think they scheme to take that away..I though Clan should have use Konrad more to keep the defenses earnest..Konrad in the flats a lot would have taken the LB's out of the middle and allow the WR and Slot more space in the middle..but since we didn't do it a lot. The middle was clogged and force wr's to catch on the outside and you had to have almost perfect passes to keep that going. With the TE being another threat this year, I think the O will be deversified enough to take away a lot of the stacking or the playing the WR's only defense and keep the D on edge..This offense should make new stars on the O in terms of the TE's and FB, and the WR's should benefit..Ricky will be the other benefitee, because he should have running room when D's have to play all parts of the field and not just 2 dimenional. (WR's and RB)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom