Offensive line | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Offensive line

pjcab

Active Roster
Reaction score
I would like to know who made the call not to upgrade this OL. Was it our coaches telling the FO we are fine with what we have, we heard as fans how much the coaches said each had improved. Was it the FO being tight with money. Was it the gm's..hickey and Tannenbaum? Year after year our OL is horrible, I just don't get it. It doesn't matter how many great WR's you have, if your qb doesn't have time and a horrible OL does not give you a running game worth anything. I just don't get it.

I am very disappointed in Benton. I thought he would have coached up the line better than this. It's sad, really.

And admit it, we thought our d-line was going to be so dominant because they were dominating our o-line in practices during the pre season. Now we see how they dominated, our o-line is pathetic.

---------- Post added at 10:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 AM ----------

We need to spend our money in free agency for the o-line and draft several o-linemen also.

---------- Post added at 10:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 AM ----------

Even Ja'Wuan James looked like crap against the Jags.

I know I thought Benton had a good reputation
But this line is horrid, I'm still amazed it hasn't been upgraded....
Someone is really screwing up here

I am very disappointed in Benton. I thought he would have coached up the line better than this. It's sad, really.

Benton is one of the only guys around here I would keep. Quite frankly, he has done a great job with the crap he has been handed. The problem is that many here don't think it is crap...that's just the orange glasses around here!

If he is the one saying that these guys are good, then I would agree...but if he is just trying to coach up the shoe-scrapings he's been given...then this isn't on him.

Plus our pathetic OL made our pathetic d line look great..wow how bad are these coaches

i agree our OLine was awful against JAX!!!

but a question... i been pondering this Sunday and all morning... give me thoughts

I am not sure if it is just me being more old school, but to get an offensive line going as a unit, aggressively early and often ,and pushing the DFront of the oponent, you need to line up and pound it out. Become the aggressor, get the OLine playing strong and physical.

BUT... recently its been a consistent scheme out of the shotgun with read options and the short touches, especially all game against JAX. This is not allowing us to be aggressive and pound out the ball, but it puts our OLine more in finesse blocking schemes. it was frustrating to see this early and often, and all game. i know we are doing this to most likely open up our passing game for a play or two down the road in the series... but we are not getting our OLine going as a unit, we arent allowing them to enforce, or be aggressive... that may be killing them for a full 60 minutes.

any thoughts?

I am not sure if it is just me being more old school, but to get an offensive line going as a unit, aggressively early and often ,and pushing the DFront of the oponent, you need to line up and pound it out. Become the aggressor, get the OLine playing strong and physical.

You are correct. When you run the football, the offensive line is able to attack the defense, instead of backing up to form a pocket and try to impede progress. They get to hit people. Defenders can't simply pin their ears back and rush the quarterback. Offensive linemen will tell you that they love to do this, and insist that it helps them play better.

I get that opportunities are limited because our defense can't get off the field in the first half, but at some point Bill Lazor needs to be made to understand that a 2 yard wide receiver screen is less useful for the team than a 2 yard run between the tackles. You need that balance.

I was complaining throughout the whole draft that we weren't doing enough for the offensive line. I complained the whole FA period that we didn't do enough for the offensive line.
This is on Philbin. He made his bed with Dallas Thomas and he's buried in it. Billy Turner was assumed to be a starter until the moment the pads came on this summer, at which point he's jettisoned to the inactive list during games. Thomas and Turner. We heard for 6 months those guys would be our guards and do fine.
Anyone who signed off on that should be fired.

Back
Top Bottom