Offensive Tackles | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Offensive Tackles

Finsfan79

Practice Squad
Reaction score
In your eyes what is the rankings for the Left Tackle in this draft?

Obvious D'Brickshaw is the top and wont be there when we pick.

Justice USC
Winston UM
McNeil Aub
Scott Texas
Colledge BS
whitworth LSU
O'Callaghan Cal
Trueblood BC

Who is the best right tackles and who is the best left tackles in the draft in your eyes? (one list of each and one overall perhaps?) If I missed anyone just tell me and will add them in, this was off the top mf my head.

Justice is essentially a RT. I think he can play left but he'll be drafted to man the right side.

Winston has struggled coming off the injury and was patchy in Mobile. McNeil is interesting but he has health issues. Scott can look great one play and awful the next 3. His technique is awful. He's a lunger, he falls over, he loses his balance and he bends his waist.

Colledge I like, but he needs to get stronger in the run game. Great feet though. Whitworth can play either side. Meat and potatoes tackle. Trueblood and O'Callaghan are RT's

Boomer's nailed it. I personally do not like Eric Winston because of his small arms and small hands. He had the second smallest reach at the Senior Bowl among offensive linemen. The 5'9" corner Tye Hill had a longer reach. That puts TACKLES at a severe disadvantage, you have no idea unless you've talked to or heard offensive line coaches talk about it. The second thing is Winston had the smallest hands of all the OL at the Senior Bowl as well. Your hands are very important tools, you use them to grab hold of defensive linemen. A defensive linemen or line coach will tell you his hand size is one of his most important weapons, and the same goes for OTs although not to as big a degree as DEs.

Similarly, Daryn Colledge, who I know Boomer loves, has a very small reach for a tackle. To me he's a left guard/left tackle tweener, sort of like Chad Clifton. That may end up being what Winston has to do as well, although his sophomore year was good enough that he'll be given lots of chances at tackle before he moves inside, which I do believe is eventually where he'll go.

If I were to rank...

Winston Justice, RT
Marcus McNeil, LT
Jon Scott, OT
O'Callaghan, RT
Winston, G/T
Whitworth, RT
Colledge, G/T
Trueblood, OT

That's just eyeballing things. Trueblood had a very down Senior Bowl practice week IMO. I thought O'Callaghan was impressive in that with his size he run blocks really well at times (not consistent at all there), and most of the time he's excellent in his pass set techniques...probably because of the team he plays for.

Right on with what I see also... I would however watch Colledge closely...he does have great feet and he has that nice wide first step in pass protection and can bounce back against the inside move very well...but I only saw him in the AS game. If he is impressive in the workouts strength wise he could rocket up the draft board. He is only listed at 295 or so, so he may need the to be Alabi'd his first year. I loved Logan Mankins last year and Colledge just as much this year. Two "sleeper" LT's are Travis Lafew (Louisville) and Jami Hightower (Tex. A/M). Lafew is alot like Colledge...great feet average size...Hightower is more of a mauler and gets good movement in the running game but has had some shoulder issues in the past...his meds will be big.

Boomer said:
Justice is essentially a RT. I think he can play left but he'll be drafted to man the right side.

Winston has struggled coming off the injury and was patchy in Mobile. McNeil is interesting but he has health issues. Scott can look great one play and awful the next 3. His technique is awful. He's a lunger, he falls over, he loses his balance and he bends his waist.

Colledge I like, but he needs to get stronger in the run game. Great feet though. Whitworth can play either side. Meat and potatoes tackle. Trueblood and O'Callaghan are RT's

mcneil because he never let up one sack from his man all year long

After reading what Bommer and CK have to say I'm not feeling real good about drafting a LT early on.I think big Mack was decent last year and we'll see about Alibi.....the lineman I really like is Nick Mangold so he can be our center for the next 10 years and just move Hadnot back to guard.Of course we could draft a RT and try Carey at LT but I'm not sure he can play there.

Ozzy rules!!

I don't see us drafting a center in round 2...which is where Mangold will go.

I'm not high on drafting a LT either at #16...but I'm high on drafting RT Winston Justice at #16. Good line play is extremely important. If you don't have the opportunity to get a pillar for the left side, getting one for the right side isn't so bad. Mularkey needs good line play to make this offense work.

I think we'll be faced with having a LT on the board with the 51st pick. Whether we'll take him or not is a different matter, suffice to say there might be one there at that point.

A fair point. I'd consider Jon Scott at #51, provided we didn't get Winston Justice at #16.

If we take Justice at #16, Im assuming we move Carey to the LT spot CK? Does that mean we have given up on the Alabi project?

I also like Colledge. I think he is going to be a good pick up in the 2nd/3rd round. He played very well at the SB when I was able to watch him.

I dont know if we need to take an OT with a first day pick. For the longest time, I was set on an OT in the 1st or 2nd round but now Im doubting that. If you look over Hudson's history at SD, did he ever have a top Oline prospect? I cant recall anything off the top of my head. Also, I dont know what the coaches think of Alabi. Ideally, it would be wonderful if Alabi progressed enough where he could play LT with James at LG and Hadnot and Carey and we would pick up a FA C or RG.

The lineman I like the most in the draft is MJG. I would love to somehow get our hands on him. However I feel that if Seattle lets Hutchinson go, which I dont think they franchise him and give THAT much cash to an OG, that MJG will not slip past Seattle at the end of the 1st round.

Back
Top Bottom