Officail Sign Ben Wilkerson Thread | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Officail Sign Ben Wilkerson Thread

If Saban doesn't look at him or try and sign him then there is obviously something wrong with him that Saban and the rest of the league knows about or else he would have gone in the 4th or 5th rounds.

Dolfan2788 said:
If Saban doesn't look at him or try and sign him then there is obviously something wrong with him that Saban and the rest of the league knows about or else he would have gone in the 4th or 5th rounds.

I agree. There is obviously something wrong with him.

For the past 2 months, virtually every mock draft here, has had Wilkerson going to us in the 3rd round. So many saying they were hoping he'd still be there when we picked in the 3rd. I've been trying to say to anyone who would listen for the past two months that he wasn't a first day guy due to his injury concerns, and I guess even that was being generous.
I thought we may take him in the 7th, if we hadn't taken a center by then, but can't be too surprised he went undrafted. To have had back surgery at this young age is not something to be taken lightly when it comes to holding up to the rigors and strain of playing OL in the NFL. I asked my orthopedic surgeon what he thought of having bulged or herniated L4 L5 discs trimmed, as Ben had done. He said it was not a cure, but usually just a temporary fix, and at some point in the future the same area had a very good chance of being a problem again. He was referring to just average people. How much more would the possibilities be for an NFL lineman?
I think the patella tendon will heal up ok, but he hasn't been able to work out b/c of it, so his lower unit strength has had to have dropped a noticable degree.
If we sign him as an undrafted free agent, the best course may be to handle him the same way we did Ogunleye as a rookie. By placing him on the Reserve/Non-Football Injury List, and have him sit out the 2005 season, while he continues to recover and build up his strength.

MrClean said:
For the past 2 months, virtually every mock draft here, has had Wilkerson going to us in the 3rd round. So many saying they were hoping he'd still be there when we picked in the 3rd. I've been trying to say to anyone who would listen for the past two months that he wasn't a first day guy due to his injury concerns, and I guess even that was being generous.
I thought we may take him in the 7th, if we hadn't taken a center by then, but can't be too surprised he went undrafted. To have had back surgery at this young age is not something to be taken lightly when it comes to holding up to the rigors and strain of playing OL in the NFL. I asked my orthopedic surgeon what he thought of having bulged or herniated L4 L5 discs trimmed, as Ben had done. He said it was not a cure, but usually just a temporary fix, and at some point in the future the same area had a very good chance of being a problem again. He was referring to just average people. How much more would the possibilities be for an NFL lineman?
I think the patella tendon will heal up ok, but he hasn't been able to work out b/c of it, so his lower unit strength has had to have dropped a noticable degree.
If we sign him as an undrafted free agent, the best course may be to handle him the same way we did Ogunleye as a rookie. By placing him on the Reserve/Non-Football Injury List, and have him sit out the 2005 season, while he continues to recover and build up his strength.
great analysis

With Wilkerson you can see that his injury was more serious than people thought. I agree with bringing him in but I would take my time with him, don't let him play at all for this season, let him heal and don't force him into the game like we did with McIntosh. Wilkerson has potential to be a VERY good center but not this year and not with his injuries.

We all were thinking we were taking him in the 5th...got a huge surprise and am really happy to find he wasn't signed.

Lets get him.

Back
Top Bottom