Official 2006 Florida Marlins Thread | Page 92 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Official 2006 Florida Marlins Thread

Ray Finkle said:
I actually heard that the Marlins feel really bad about screwing the Cubs by trading Matt Clement and others for Willis and Juilian Taveras therefore the Marlins are going to do the right thing and trade Willis to the Red Sox for Matt Clement and because the Sox are such a great franchise they're going to add Taveras in the deal and pay for his 2007 contract. How does that sound? I'll call Theo and my guys, you called your guys.

:grouplaug

goin to the game tommorow....nolasco and hamels on the mound..

one last hoorah
:boohoo:

The Florida Energizer Bunnies...they just keep going and going and going and...

Nolasco needs to repeat his July Philadelphia performance. We really need to sweep this series...one loss is acceptable, but then you need to sweep next weekend. One game at a time. Wish Johnson could pitch Saturday instead of Moehler, but at least it's against Lieber, whom we can and have hit. But Olsen's been great.

And the best news of all is that Howard has cooled considerably since they left Florida. We need to restrain him somewhat. Utley and Howard can not beat us. Keep Rollins off the bases by avoiding walks, make the Victorinos and Delluccis and Nunezes hurt you.

Jeff Conine scares the death out of me, though.

RWhitney014 said:
The Florida Energizer Bunnies...they just keep going and going and going and...

Nolasco needs to repeat his July Philadelphia performance. We really need to sweep this series...one loss is acceptable, but then you need to sweep next weekend. One game at a time. Wish Johnson could pitch Saturday instead of Moehler, but at least it's against Lieber, whom we can and have hit. But Olsen's been great.

And the best news of all is that Howard has cooled considerably since they left Florida. We need to restrain him somewhat. Utley and Howard can not beat us. Keep Rollins off the bases by avoiding walks, make the Victorinos and Delluccis and Nunezes hurt you.

Jeff Conine scares the death out of me, though.
hopefully they start cabrera so i get to see him in the lineup today

UCFinfan86 said:
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2598362

Girardi has ZERO chance of coaching the marlins next season, what a shame

...says a source. A source also said that we had traded for Bartolo Colon back in winter 2002. A source said that we had all but traded Cabrera and Willis to the Mets this past spring. Multiple sources have said stadium construction was underway in Miami, Hialeah, Monterrey, San Antonio, Las Vegas, and Portland, all at the same time.

Even if they don't intend on bringing him back, which I am going to get to in a commentary soon, the front office on the baseball side is not dumb. They know Dusty Baker will be out in Chicago and that the Cubs will be clamoring to grab Girardi as their man. They also know they can rip off Jim Hendry and that the last time a team wanted to bring a manager home, Tampa Bay had to give up an All-Star CF in Randy Winn to Seattle to hire Lou Piniella, and his teams promptly never reached the 70-win mark. There is precedent for this, and the Cubs have a nice young CF named Felix Pie and a couple of other players that could interest the Marlins, and if they make the first move, they're going to lose out on one of their big opportunities to acquire a piece or two without sacrificing one of the young pitching prospects.

RWhitney014 said:
...says a source. A source also said that we had traded for Bartolo Colon back in winter 2002. A source said that we had all but traded Cabrera and Willis to the Mets this past spring. Multiple sources have said stadium construction was underway in Miami, Hialeah, Monterrey, San Antonio, Las Vegas, and Portland, all at the same time.

Even if they don't intend on bringing him back, which I am going to get to in a commentary soon, the front office on the baseball side is not dumb. They know Dusty Baker will be out in Chicago and that the Cubs will be clamoring to grab Girardi as their man. They also know they can rip off Jim Hendry and that the last time a team wanted to bring a manager home, Tampa Bay had to give up an All-Star CF in Randy Winn to Seattle to hire Lou Piniella, and his teams promptly never reached the 70-win mark. There is precedent for this, and the Cubs have a nice young CF named Felix Pie and a couple of other players that could interest the Marlins, and if they make the first move, they're going to lose out on one of their big opportunities to acquire a piece or two without sacrificing one of the young pitching prospects.

:yeahthat:

RWhitney014 said:

But if florida just buys out his contract as the source says, then they wouldn't get any compensation.

Marlins fans should prepare themselves for 2 things this offseason..

1) Girardi is gone (cubs probably)

2) Willis is gone (White Sox probably, but Detroit or Arizona could make noise)

MikeO said:
Marlins fans should prepare themselves for 2 things this offseason..

1) Girardi is gone (cubs probably)

2) Willis is gone (White Sox probably, but Detroit or Arizona could make noise)

1) We've known it for a long time now. Since Beinfest and Girardi apparently have no relationship and it's a choice between the two, Beinfest wins every time. He's one of the top 3 GMs in baseball, along with Terry Ryan and one of your choice, and Girardi is simply not the best manager in baseball. Tuck will follow Girardi wherever he goes, but Perry Hill, he who turned Dan Uggla from defensive nightmare to quality second baseman, needs to stay and wouldn't if Girardi were here, and we need to keep Kranitz and Presley around. And UCFinFan, obviously if it's a buyout we're not getting anything, but my point is that we should be patient and wait for the Cubs to get desperate.

2) He's not going anywhere, but if he were Seattle, LAA, and Arizona top the list. The White Sox are way down there, and the Tigers would be high up there if they were willing to give up what we would want. From each team:

Seattle: Rafael Soriano/J.J. Putz, Jeremy Reed, Jeff Clement
LAA: Ervin Santana, Howie Kendrick, Jeff Mathis, Chone Figgins
Arizona: Chris Young, Dustin Nippert, Miguel Montero
White Sox: Brian Anderson, Brandon McCarthy, and not much else, which is the problem, because we need a catcher, and they don't really have one to give
Detroit: Joel Zumaya, Cameron Maybin, Wilfredo Ledezma

The two best matches are Seattle and Arizona, then LAA. Seattle and Arizona both have a young stud pitcher, a stud CF prospect, and a good-looking catcher. Arizona's the best fit of all.

But it's moot, because we're not trading him after this season. It makes no sense to do so; he's coming off a .500 season in which he walked and hit more batters than ever before, and before the outburst in Shea last week, even his bat has been quiet. He's also made a ton of bad errors, which is unlike him. He was just pressing too hard almost all year. But when next year rolls around and his teammates can pick him up, I think you see another 2005-type year from him, and if you ever trade him, that's the year, because he'll be ready for whatever team he belongs to to sign him long-term.

He'll probably make about $7-8 million next year, and considering he is the clubhouse and on-field leader, not to mention the face of the franchise, there's no reason to trade him now at all, especially if Girardi fetches Pie from the Cubs.

RWhitney014 said:
And UCFinFan, obviously if it's a buyout we're not getting anything, but my point is that we should be patient and wait for the Cubs to get desperate.

i know you obviously know that. But everyone team in baseball knows that he will be canned so why would they give up a top prospect for him when they can just wait until he is boughout and get him for free?

Back
Top Bottom